Etape 2008

Comments

• Jonathan G
    Jonathan G Posts: 9
    I got my bib no off web site www.letapedutour.com but what does catogory D mean is it age ?
  • Peakraider
    Peakraider Posts: 143
    Would also like to know what the categories mean. I'm at 7000-ish (yikes) in category B.
  • Peakraider
    Does anyone know what kind of support -- if any -- there is for punctures and so on? Would be wonderful to puncture in the first few kms and then ride another 150km with 80 psi, which is about the max i can get from my handheld.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    There's Mavic support vehicles that will help you out by replacing a bust wheel and have spare bikes too. But somewhere on the Etape site it does say something about carrying two spare tubes and I believe you are expected to fix punctures yourself.

IME there is also mechanical help at the feed stops.
  • Peakraider
    SunWuKong wrote:
    There's Mavic support vehicles that will help you out by replacing a bust wheel and have spare bikes too. But somewhere on the Etape site it does say something about carrying two spare tubes and I believe you are expected to fix punctures yourself.

Thanks
  • Hilts@RB
    Hilts@RB Posts: 1
    Hi all

First post on here.

There are 10 of us doing the Etape for the first time so I was wondering what kit everyone tended to carry..

I assume it's going to be hot but on the descents it could be chilly right so do people carry arm/leg warmers, rain gear etc...
    Is it a case of look out of your hotel on the morning and take a punt ???

Any opinions gratefully received...
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    SunWuKong wrote:

At both full feed stops last year there was a very impressive mobile Mavic workshop - looked capable of fixing anything. I did hear that a couple of riders got loan replacement wheels after crashes.

What I needed was a triple chainset and a bigger rear cog. Don't think they would have been interested. :)

I see there's Mavic support at the Etape Caledonia which might be helpful as there was a heap of punctures last year. Looking forward to sunshine for this year.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    You'll be given a handout at the village-which says you're expected to deal with punctures yourself

You can get a Co2 inflator, or carry a decent pump

Kit: plan to take what you'd take on a day ride here-
    Make changes in the light of the forecast-good meteo at the village
    3 years ago, you'd have wanted a gilet/jacket descending the Aubisque, not required in 06 off the Izoard, or on any of the descents last year.

Pack thin windproof gloves and decide on the day whether or not to take them

You may start off with arm warmers anyway, though Pau is usually warm in the morning in July
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Make like a boy scout and be prepared. You don't want to ruin your big day by not having the right kit.

If I'm doing a big event in the mountains then I'll always pack some winter clothing to take with me, i.e. long sleeved jersey, tights, gloves and hat. I started (and failed to finish) the Marmotte in 2003 due to being inadequately dressed on a wet day. It was around 0 degrees and blowing a gale at the summit of Croix de Fer and I was wearing a short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, shorts, knee warmers and a rain jacket and I was colder than I've ever been on a bike. I genuinely feared for my own safety so abandoned (still had to descend the mountain and then climb Alpe d'Huez to get home). It was brutal. We'd descended Alpe d'Huez first thing in the morning in the rain then stood around waiting to start for an hour in more rain. I was soaked through before I started. Easily my worst day ever on a bike.

The weather can be like that in the Pyrenees too so if you're prepared for it you can cope and not miss out on the day you've been working towards for many months.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    andyp wrote:
    Make like a boy scout and be prepared. You don't want to ruin your big day by not having the right kit.

If I'm doing a big event in the mountains then I'll always pack some winter clothing to take with me, i.e. long sleeved jersey, tights, gloves and hat. I started (and failed to finish) the Marmotte in 2003 due to being inadequately dressed on a wet day. It was around 0 degrees and blowing a gale at the summit of Croix de Fer and I was wearing a short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, shorts, knee warmers and a rain jacket and I was colder than I've ever been on a bike. I genuinely feared for my own safety so abandoned (still had to descend the mountain and then climb Alpe d'Huez to get home). It was brutal. We'd descended Alpe d'Huez first thing in the morning in the rain then stood around waiting to start for an hour in more rain. I was soaked through before I started. Easily my worst day ever on a bike.

The weather can be like that in the Pyrenees too so if you're prepared for it you can cope and not miss out on the day you've been working towards for many months.

Hi Andy - sounds grim. If it was forecast to be mixed weather, would you take all that stuff with you on the ride? How would you carry it - just in back pockets?
  • SunWuKong
    Basically what Andy said but just to add check the weather forecast. I'm sure there'll be plenty of links nearer the time on this forum.

In terms of carrying stuff IME you generally want to be carrying as little as possible, for the weather.

One problem even if it is hot is that you need to set of to the start very early when it is quite cold.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    SunWuKong wrote:
    Basically what Andy said but just to add check the weather forecast. I'm sure there'll be plenty of links nearer the time on this forum.

In terms of carrying stuff IME you generally want to be carrying as little as possible, for the weather.

One problem even if it is hot is that you need to set of to the start very early when it is quite cold.

NY Marathon runners showed me the light on that one - set off in the morning in your oldest, minging sweatshirt and bottoms, just before the start take them off and stick them in a bag and bin them.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Exactly that - take some old kit so if it gets too warm you can just discard it.

Added: You'd be surprised how easy it is to carry extra kit, i.e. you can carry a long sleeved jersey quite easily by tying the arms around your waist (best to roll it up a bit first to stop it catching in your rear wheel). Gloves can be stuffed up the front of a jersey.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    what about food? Energy drinks and some gels/powerbars obviously, but normal stuff too? small sarnies, salted nuts, dried apricots etc? 2006 feed stations were a joke apparently.
    The recent dvd with C+ magazine showed our intrepid heroes getting round the course on nothing but SIS products
  • Ken Night
    Dombo6 wrote:
    what about food? Energy drinks and some gels/powerbars obviously, but normal stuff too? small sarnies, salted nuts, dried apricots etc? 2006 feed stations were a joke apparently.The recent dvd with C+ magazine showed our intrepid heroes getting round the course on nothing but SIS products

I got enough in 2006!

3892524.jpg

The feed stations have been getting better-you can often get ham sarnies which I like to have, as well as fruit (fresh and dried) salami, and spiced bread (really good as it tastes nice and is designed to have quick and slow release energy)
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • popette
    Great picture Ken :)
    I'm going to need some big jersey pockets to fit all this stuff in. What is that top you're wearing?
  • Ken Night
    I have an affinity with that jersey, wearing it on all big sportifs

Here is the descent of col D'Ornon in the Vaujany last year
    ColDOrnon.jpg

(must remember to keep fingers off the brakes!)
  • SunWuKong
    Dombo6 wrote:
    what about food? Energy drinks and some gels/powerbars obviously, but normal stuff too? small sarnies, salted nuts, dried apricots etc? 2006 feed stations were a joke apparently.
    The recent dvd with C+ magazine showed our intrepid heroes getting round the course on nothing but SIS products

Did you check the kit they were wearing?

Like Ken I got enough apart from at the bottom of the Alpe. When I got there they had run out of water. So they were filling or bottles up with the glacial melt water which was lovely and cool. I think the sandwiches were all ham & cheese (I know, shocker in France). Plenty of cake, dried fruit, drink powder, etc IIRC.
  • dombo6
    Ham and cheese? I ask you!
    What about lobster, brandy and a pack of gauloise like in Anquetil's day?
    BTW can you get fags at the feed stations? I'll have done 20 Marlboro by Loucroup and don't want to run out halfway up a bloody mountain!
  • Jonathan G
    Jonathan G Posts: 9
    Tanks Dooncaan for the explanation of the catogorys does this mean you get a longer time allowance to get a silver medal which i think is normaly between 5 and 7 hours the older you are ?
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    All Gold and Silver medal times on the Etape are given according to the age category you are in. So yes as a 50 - 59 year old I get longer than a 40- 49 who in turn gets longer than 30-39 etc.
  • popette
    yehehhhhhhhhhh!! Got my number - 2343!! Great number - say hello when you pass me :)

They have me as Category B but I'm actualy Category F. Should I let them know?
  • dombo6
    popette wrote:

Yes you should, Categories F and G are allowed to draft behind the broomwagon :lol:
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    popette wrote:
    yehehhhhhhhhhh!! Got my number - 2343!! Great number - say hello when you pass me :)

glad you're pronounced fit enough to ride, Popette. I shall look out for you. (I've got your number...)

I wonder what category I'll be in. Is it by age then?
  • Yay for me (and my mate) too; bib numbers at last 6214 & 6215 not right at the back :lol:
    pm
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Nothing for me yet :cry:

Rich
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    Me neither :cry:

Hope I get a number like Popette's though
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    My number is now up but not as low as i would have like. In the low 7000s. Just have to ride harder to avoid the broom wagon :D

Popette- Will you be in C+ gear on the day?? I will keep an eye out for you
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Well, i am in :D

Low 7000's for me as well. Was hoping for a 5 or 6 but hey ho, could have been worse I guess.

Rich
  • Peakraider
    What kind of speed are you aiming to average, Rich? I'm in low 7000 too and will be broom wagon dodging. I'll be on a blue Planet X.