Etape 2008

Comments

• jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    80 kg is 12.5 stone according to my scales!! :D

And as it is my 'fighting' weight for the etape I think I will stick to what my scales tell me!

To me 12. 5 stone and 6ft 1" sounds a great deal better than 13 stone which is what I went up to in January. :cry:
  • I've been reading through this thread and now i'm a tad concerned about geting a crap bib number.

Do i understand correctly that there are cut off times at various points throughout the course that you have to reach by a certain time, irrespective of how long it takes you to cross the start line. Jhop, is that why you had to do the first 30km so fast that year?

I was rather hoping to take the first 30 or 40k fairly easy to stay fresh for the climbs seems as though i might not have a choice.
    pm
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    ....do the first 30km so fast that year?

I was rather hoping to take the first 30 or 40k fairly easy to stay fresh for the climbs seems as though i might not have a choice.

That stipulation was one year only

If you're allocated a crap number, there is not a lot you can do-there are attendants at each of the starting gates to ensure everybody goes to the right place

I have heard of people "customising" their numbers, but tbh, it's not in the spirit of the thing, and your finishing time is adjusted, for the time you roll over the starter timing mat

Most people worry about the broom wagon, particularly the Brits-but this year, you'll have time to put some distance between you and it, even if you have a number in the 9000's.
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    9000!! how many people do this event?

... and how can the broom wagon possibly pick up so many tail enders?
  • Ken Night
    9000!! how many people do this event?

... and how can the broom wagon possibly pick up so many tail enders?

I believe around 9000 started in 06, less last year as it was such a hard event. The numbering isn't entirely sequential-some guest numbers are not taken up

The broom wagon isn't an old Citroen van of popular conception, but a fleet of coaches behind the timing car. These are followed by a fleet of articulated trucks into which your £3000 pride and joy will be lovingly placed :evil: and strapped in :twisted: and gently removed :x

Oh, and the wagons are disproportionately populated by Brits

Not nice I know
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    I bet it's a right laugh on those buses :?

9000; must be a nightmare getting a hotel at the start & finish ...
  • How far behind does the broom wagon start and how fast does it travel? Or does it set off after the last competitors cross the start line and then goe along at the cut off speed?
    pm
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    So many questions about broom wagons. Is it nerves?? :D

I did the Etape legende last year and ended up in a broom wagon. :( (At 155 km and on the penultimate climb). I was the only Brit on my bus - rest were natives as far as I could work out. Atmosphere reminded me of those film scenes where POW's are being marched along.

A detailed course description will be produced with cut off times at many points along the circuit. This was the detailed schedule for the Etape Legende. http://www.letapedelegende.com/2007/EDL ... raire.html

If you arrive at any point after the designated cut off time, you're out. If the pace car passes you at any time - you're out. Pace car leads out the broom wagon (which is actually as said above a coach and following truck for bikes) and has a bloody big clock on top so you can't argue that they've mistimed you!

The pace car will set off at a designated time after the last of the starting pack has passed the official start. Anyone not started by this designated time will not be allowed to participate. So you are at an advantage if you start at the front and a disadvantage if you startr at the back.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • pedylan
    Actually, after reading all my rubbish above, can we concentrate on how to avoid the broom wagon - not on the mechanics of how the sweeping operation works. :wink:

For example - triple, compact or double.

Training regimes in what is now the last 12 weeks.

Feeding strategy.
  • i suppose it is nerves, i've never done it before and the comment about the broom wagon being populated by brits concerned me a tad.

I quite agree though, lets concentrate on how to get round as well as possible - i know for me it's going to be getting my feeding strategy right that's going to determine how well i go. Hopefully i'll be able to hone that on the sportives i do in the 6 weeks before.

on that subject - how often do they usually have the feed stations and is it a complete melee
    pm
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    edited April 2008
    For the first question, I think I may go compact. I had focused my mind on triple for so long until I actually rode my new bike and realised that it is so nimble and light and I can get up hills in the big chain ring. I've changed the rear cassette to 12/27 and I think I may cope with that.

Training - I'm doing a long ride of about 6 hours per week and I'm now putting in hills, a fasted ride in the morning at the weekend, a ride of intervals and now that we have light nights, I can do two evening rides but not sure what the focus of those will be. Knowing me, I'll just go as fast as I can for an hour or two.

Feeding - in training I'm great at this. I stop often, drink often, eat little and often. For some reason, when I start riding with others this goes out of the window. What is it in group riding? I never see anyone drinking! I'm trying so hard to keep up and maintain the tempo that I forget my usual eating patterns and then I start suffering. I really need to stick to the tried and tested when it comes to eating and drinking on sportives. Do you know what kind of food they supply at the stops? Any sandwiches?

Sod the broom wagon - none of us are getting swept up by it!

Edited to add that I'm actually not doing that level of training at the moment because of a chest cold! I hope it passes quickly, I'm itching to resume full training again.
  • Ken Night
    popette wrote:

Sod the broom wagon - none of us are getting swept up by it!

Exactly...with the right preparation, and that is where so many riders fall short of their own and the organisers' expectations
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    rendo wrote:
    i mapped this from the descriptions take from the tour route. only difference is at the start, but comes out at 164km, strangely the tour route says its 156

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/20 ... pe-du-tour (hope this works)

http://www.letour.fr/2008/TDF/COURSE/fr ... .html#comm

Good call on the route.

I've had another look and now make it:

1) Pau to Loucrop 82km (1050m)
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Pa ... Etape-2008
    (There's about 4-5km missing from the start)

2) Tourmalet 38km (1800m)
    - 20.5km @ 2.4%
    - 17.5km @ 7.4%
    http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Co ... ntainID=25

3) Descent 32.5km

4) Hautacam 16.5km @ 7.5% (1250m)
    http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Co ... ainID=6855

Total 169km (4100m) .... please tell me I've done something wrong!!!!!!!
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Poppette
    Do you know what kind of food they supply at the stops? Any sandwiches?

I've done two and they had bananas (halves), cake (slices), dried figs, carb & electrolyte powder, water, sponsor sports drinks, ham & cheese sandwiches and possibly gels. Not sure what else there was.

By the sound of your training Popette you will be fine.

For me the hardest bit is that you're going uphill for such a long time relative to the UK.
  • Sunwukong:
    Roughly how often do they have the feed stations?
    pm
  • SunWuKong
    They're pretty evenly split, the first couple can be a bit of hassle getting stuff it then thins out some. I have always tended to leave my bike on the other side of the road then scramble through the crowd, grab what I want then re-fill bottles, pockets, eat, rest for a few minutes then head off. Some do try getting their bikes near the tables but it's not really practical.

According to the etape site there were 4 in 2005 and 5 in 2006, but I remembered 3 but I'm sure they're correct.

It's the problem of take what you know/like but you have to carry it or travel light and take what's on offer. You do see quite a few ppl with the ironman bento box type things. Remembering you may have with you arm warmers, gillet, maybe shower proof and then a days worth of bars, gels, replacement Go, High5, whatever you prefer. Your pockets soon get full.
  • popette
    Less than 3 months to go now guys - how you all feeling?

I stepped on the scales this morning to find I have lost a stone since christmas - another 9lb and I'll be at my fighting weight!

Training is going ok I think. I managed to get up a local hill (5 miles of climbing) on my new gears (compact 50/34 12/27) ok. I didn't really notice any difference to my triple tbh. I'm enjoying getting out on the light nights.

How you all doing? Is your training going well?
  • kmahony
    popette wrote:
    Less than 3 months to go now guys - how you all feeling?

I stepped on the scales this morning to find I have lost a stone since christmas - another 9lb and I'll be at my fighting weight!

Training is going ok I think. I managed to get up a local hill (5 miles of climbing) on my new gears (compact 50/34 12/27) ok. I didn't really notice any difference to my triple tbh. I'm enjoying getting out on the light nights.

How you all doing? Is your training going well?

Mostly getting scared.

Training is going well. I think I've put in more effort than I expected by this stage,
    but possibly not seeing the improvement I'd expect, given the effort.

I've got nine big sportives in a row from the last weekend of April, so no hiding.
    Main aim is weight loss (and some extra strength). Down 6kg so far to 95. Aiming for
    90, but would be great to be lower.

I'd really like to know the cut off times, so I know what I'm up against.
  • SunWuKong
    Poppette well done that weight loss is excellent. You both certainly seem ahead of me. I haven't done any long rides yet, regular 50 miles on weekend. I'm the Spring into the Dales (110 km) on the 20th, then the Kirklees sportive the following week, as the first events for this year. Then it's case of getting in plenty of long rides in.

I have been concentrating largely on doing 2*20 drills and the like, trying to improve climbing ability. I know I'm ahead of where I was in 2006 in terms of power but short of where I wanted to be by now.

I should be getting my new frame later this month so will get that built up in time for Polka Dot Challenge.
  • i got my train tickets to Tarbes yesterday so i'm really getting excited but i'm also very nervous. the longest climb near me (old winchester hill) is only about 2 and a half miles long and its not that steep so i just have no idea how it's goinfg to feel slogging up those two monsters without any respite for a good hour and a half each (probably longer).

My trainings going well though and i'm starting to crank up the miles till my first sportive - the Tour of Wessex (stage one). After that i'm doing the 200k highclere event then the dragon ride before stepping into the unknown.

oh and i hope to loose a few kilos too
    pm
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    I am getting in plenty of 100k rides, but need to find some long stretches of climbing. Otherwise I am going to get a big shock at the Tourmalet.

And yes, scared.

Popette - I am using a compact and a 12-27 at the back. I reckon that'll be fine. Plenty will do it with more butch ratios than that, but I am not out to impress (just to finish!).
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    Getting out for a 4 hour ride every weekend, but not much during the week bar commuting and a game of 5-a-side footy. I was plagued by a knee problem for a couple of months but seem to be able to manage it now. Lost over 6kg so far this year.

Anyone got their bib numbers?

They're on here

http://io.addx-tech.com/edmpublic/participantlist.aspx?epreuve=31

No sign of me yet :(
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    I am just about where I want to be at the moment. Managed a 5h 45m on the Cheshire Cat (I was aiming for sub 6 hours), my third ride over 80 miles this year.

Time to start hitting my Peak District loop (61 miles, 1300m climbing) which I have done many times, so that will give me another indication of how I am going.

Over the next few weeks, I will add the odd circuit race and 10 mile TT for a bit of speed work, with the Forest Of Dean Classic my next planned big ride. After that its the Gran Fondo Cymru, Polka Dot and Dragon Ride. I am still debating whether to go out to Pau before the event....

I am mucking about with gearing as well. I have used a 39x27 lowest gear for the last couple of years, but have just added a 38 chain ring, which I used on the Cat. This is all I need in the UK but I am intending fitting a compact for the Etape - just need to decide on a 12-25 or 12-27....

Still waiting for my bib number to appear on the officlal website

Cheers

Rich
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    I'm mostly doing faster and shorter rides midweek with a long run at the weekends. I think that from now to the 1st week in June is just about getting some long climbs done.

I have a few sportive to do before the Etape the first of which is the Lakeland Loop this weekend.
  • pedylan
    Days to go falling fast aren't they!

I'm sticking to 2 x gym, 2 x turbo and one long (120km) weekend over a week. The lack of road miles is worrying but weather is so awful - wouldn't want to get injured or catch a cold that would mess training up.

Over last two weeks power up and HR down for most intensive sessions so I feel positive. A month ago I was pulling up during intervals and HR was up and power down so right now I feel OK - but worried - very worried!

The biggest motivator is that this time I ain't getting on no bus!!!!!!

I'm also looking at Eurostar and TGV as my preferred travel. Got hotel booked a while ago.

Anyone who's with cyclomundo got a bib number - no sign of me on list of riders yet.
  • Hi, was wondering if anyone registered for Etape 2008 through CycloMondo has seen there bib #'s online yet?
  • popette
    I'm with cyclomundo but not number as yet.
    Just reading this thread and thinking of the Etape has started the butterflies going. What's it going to be like the night before? on the morning, standing in our pens waiting for it all to begin? At the start we need Mel Gibson or Russell Crowe, charging about on a horse giving us a motivational speech.
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Is anyone heard from Sports Tours they don't seems to answer emails anymore, its hard to get any word from them after three attempts! I would phone but its just the mobile we have at the moment.

After just watching 300 for the 3rd time I recommend we get Leonidas to set us off in Pau :)

sparta.jpg
  • Ken Night
    popette wrote:
    I'Just reading this thread and thinking of the Etape has started the butterflies going. .
    .......I rather like that tingle of anticipation....I also feel it and this will be my fourth

Sleep the night before can be a problem-as can getting up at some stupid hour for the start-3.30am in 05 and 06, but should be fairly leisurely this year

don't forget the pleasure of the signing on, the village and the time you'll spend in France.....
  • kmahony
    Not heard anything from Sports Tours and no number on the Etape site yet. I hope this doesn't mean we'll be right at the back. Will cost another 40mins, plus less chance of getting in a group.

I've got 50-34 12-27 gearing too. This has been fine for previous trips to the Alps (when I've been 100kg), but never tried 2 big mountains in a row. (I've got an 11-28, which I could try if it works)