Club 10 training....

Mog Uk
Mog Uk Posts: 964
First season this year riding the club 10's...

Any specific preparation/training I should be doing ? Road / Rollers.. Or is it a case of turn up, head down and pedal like a mo-fo and hope for the best... :D

Cheers...

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Training:
    - 2x20s (long interval training) are good for TT's either ridden on the road or on your turbo (this thread has more details http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12555444)
    - ride the bike you'll use for TTs in the TT position as much as you can to get used to it (assume you'll be fitting clip-on aero bars?)
    - some stretching of your hamstrings, glutes and lower back may help with the aero position
    - don't be afraid to tinker with your position until you find one that is aero and still allows you to get the power out - it can take a while moving things backwards/forwards/up/down until you find it

Preparation:
    - make sure you warm up fully before starting the race - a gradually increasing effort from pootling along to near TT speed over a period of 15-30 mins
    - during the event, focus on the job in hand - it's amazing how my mind can wander - whether that's by keeping an eye on the speed, heart rate, checking your cadence or just asking yourself "can I go any faster at this point" regularly
    - pacing is critical to doing your best time - you'll have to find by experimentation what works for you - steady effort, increasing effort or start fast and try to hang on
  • Mike Willcox
    Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
    Interval training will improve your speed for sure. But there are a couple of things that I will do myself and will help you make the most of what you've got.

Don't go flat out for the first 2 miles, but hold some back. (this will help you even out your effort over the full distance)
    Keep on top of your gear which will give you better form and a smoother (faster) ride.
    Keep going right to the turn (It's amazing how many riders slow up)
    Enjoy it with the knowledge that you will go relatively faster the next time and so on.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    First season - just ride them, you need to find out what you can do.

It's good advice from Bronzie and Mike - especially Mikes comment about not trying to go flat out from the start. I fell into that trap last season (my first) where I was killing myself in the first couple of minutes and then struggling to recover.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Just taking part in a weekly 10 will be a great way of training for the following week ;)
    Still breathing.....
  • HI there.

You'll need shorter intervals to prepare for a 10, as well as the 20 minute ones. I can humbly recommend 6 x 3mins at a pace whereby you can just manage 6, but couldn't possibly do a 7th.

This pace will probably end up being slightly harder than your 10m race pace, but not by much.

Cheers, Andy

ps Race Strategy? Ride it like you stole it.