Cycling gear coming to Lidl - Monday 10th March

2»

Comments

• Both Lidl and Aldi do some reasonable kit at great prices. In the case of Aldi, I think that the quality and design of their clothing has improved dramatically in the last few years. I haven't used Lild as much, but I have had a few good bits there.

It is easy to label Aldi and Lidl stuff as cheap crap, but most of it is excellent value for money and lasts OK.

Has anyone used the Lidl helmet? Is it OK?
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I've just realised that it was at the Aldi sale where I bought the winter gear, not at Lidl. No wonder I couldn't find the store listed!
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    I looked at this thread expecting a bit of a snigger, but now I'm determined to stock up on some of those £2 coolmax socks.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Gonna pop in if I get the chance, the shoes look worth a browse in shop. Hopefully there will be some in my size left.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • crafty
    crafty Posts: 85
    Just bought two pairs of shoes, two pairs of gloves, two rucksacks and a set of lights. The backlight requires a dynamo.

All look good. The shoes are particulary excellent. Loads of stuff left at the Bedminster (Bristol) LIDL.

Ed
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I got one pair of shoes, the pair I got last year are still going strong :D - One pair of shorts, there was only one colour :cry: and a mini pump. That would do me for now :D I bought the same type of mini pump last year and although I haven't had a flat tyre, I helped someone whose mini pump was useless even though he paid £12 for it. My Lidl pump pumped up his tyre enough to continue his ride.

Hopefully Aldi will bring arm warmers this year - I got one pair last year and they are excellent. I buy running socks, I find they have more padding than cycling socks.

I didn't look at the helmets, any good? I bought a spare helmet from Aldi last year which I'm still to wear but it does look very good, better than my Giro :lol:

I didn't look at the gloves either, I have plenty of those from last year.

I thought the saddle bags were not very good at all - last year they had better ones. I got one last year and still going strong. I will get another one from Wiggle today :D

Rick
  • I popped in by this morning and bought some socks. :D

I'm very happy with my purchase lol.
  • rrsodl
    I popped in by this morning and bought some socks. :D

I hope you didn't brake the bank :lol:

Rick
  • gjp112n
    gjp112n Posts: 29
    RRSODL wrote:
    HERE

I'll try to get some shoes again this year :)

Rick

aha - somebody may be able to help me (please,please, pretty please)

The picture on the Lidl toolkit/saddle bag shows the saddlebag attached to a sprung saddle (but the product itself comes with a different fitment). Has anybody any source for an adaptor to mount such a bag on a sprung saddle.

RRSODL - do you find your carrera is 'non-standard' when it comes to fitting lights/bags etc ?
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    Well I couldn't go in the morning because trying to do that while I'm off the bike would have made me very late for work and it's not the greatest excuse is it...

So I got the tube there after work to find most of the stuff gone. Only women's shoes left, but as I am a woman that was all to the good, there was a pair left in my size miraculously. I've never had cycling shoes before so I'll be interested to see how much difference they make.

I also got the bar cooler bag but am not sure it will fit, think my stem might be a bit too long to secure it at the bottom.

There wasn't much else there.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    I popped in yesterday morning,

came out with 2 jerseys, 2 shorts with the internal padding bit, 2 sets of socks for me, one for a mate, and one for my gf, and a pair of shoes in size 11.

Alas when I tried them on properly they were a bit too big, took them back today, and they seemed to have ervey other shoe size apart from 10.

Was impressed with the feel of them too, and the jerseys are very good, and feel a lot better than the Aldi one I got a year or more ago.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RRSODL wrote:
    I popped in by this morning and bought some socks. :D

I hope you didn't brake the bank :lol:

Rick

I managed to sneak them into the trolley while my mum was busy looking at the fruit and veg (I'm surprised why she didn't wonder why I wanted to go to Lidl's with her lol), so she paid for them, muhahahaha :twisted:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Daniel B wrote:
    Alas when I tried them on properly they were a bit too big, took them back today, and they seemed to have ervey other shoe size apart from 10.

Tried mine for size in the shop before I bought them. the size 9s I bought are bigger than the Lake size 9s I use at the mo. In general the shoes have the look of rock climbing shoes with the grip pads etc on the side. Rode with them today and love them, big toe box area. Well impressed for the money.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rrsodl
    gjp112n wrote:
    RRSODL wrote:
    HERE

I'll try to get some shoes again this year :)

Rick

aha - somebody may be able to help me (please,please, pretty please)

The picture on the Lidl toolkit/saddle bag shows the saddlebag attached to a sprung saddle (but the product itself comes with a different fitment). Has anybody any source for an adaptor to mount such a bag on a sprung saddle.

RRSODL - do you find your carrera is 'non-standard' when it comes to fitting lights/bags etc ?

Well, actually I don't - never had a problem to fit lights or the saddle bag,

Rick
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    My wife went mad and bought loads for me!( shes a gem)
    Jersey- nice fit and ok for commute/training
    Socks-had before and are brilliant
    Computer-for sons bike and outperforms its price
    Minipump-looked cheap and nasty but actually works well
    Toolpack-multitool is made of plastercine but rest is useful and the pack is handy for trips out.
    Gloves- not bad but could hae done with more padding in the palm area
    Jacket- had one of these last year and has been great but the grey colour makes it more useful off the bike for casual use.

All in all good stuff for the money, especially if you are on a budget .
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    Does anyone know how the bar bag thing attaches? The two straps go round the handlebars, I get that. But the velcro bit at the bottom, what's that for? The only thing it's remotely close to is the brake cables.
  • trousers, jersey and two bike pulleys..£18

come on...thats a bargain, clothing weems fine.

andy
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Shoes and shorts. No trousers in my size.

Got to start saving - m'cycle stuff on sale from 20th!!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Sue Wass
    Sue Wass Posts: 29
    As a regular at che lidls I can only say - there I was again, tops, socks, another took kit bag so's I don't have to keep swapping the other one from bike to bike - £5.99!!! hubby's one cost 3X that!

didn't get the shoes - I've just paid over 50 squids for a pair from a cycle shop :evil: :evil:

£2.99 speedo - great if all you want is an on the spot speed! they did have a more expensive, radio type one, a while back but that got interfered with by the heart rate monitor! :lol:

I even bought one of the racing gel saddles as the one on my new race bike is uncomfortable to say the least - at £6 it's worth a try!

shorts/trousers, the padded bit underneath is a bit small, I find Decathlons ones better, but then if you're wearing a pair of shorts over another pair of trousers or shorts with padding they're great and don't add too much bulk.

I've often bought cycling tops from lidls, both long and short sleeved and at 5 to 6 pound a time I think they're perfect! Never had any problems with them and they fit well!
  • rrsodl
    Aldi should bring more bargains in a few weeks times - glasses, jackets, shorts, socks etc. The prices are about the same as Lidl.

Rick
  • Dscotland
    Dscotland Posts: 34
    does anyone know if Lidl will be having any more offers on cycling good again this year ?

if so when ??

thanks
    derek
    dlamb
  • zaynan
    zaynan Posts: 180
    Aldi had a mini special on cycling fairly recently - I think Lidl usuallly have another one during the summer - perhaps it will coincide with the start of the school holidays? From memory Aldi & Lidl have about 4 cycling specials each per year. The shoes are just superb value!
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes