Cycling gear coming to Lidl - Monday 10th March

rrsodl
rrsodl Posts: 486
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
HERE

I'll try to get some shoes again this year :)

Rick

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    RRSODL wrote:
    HERE

I'll try to get some shoes again this year :)

Rick

Im going to get my self two pairs, the buckle that the velcro strap threads through broke on mine last week. Great shoes other than that. Will probably do a full raid and buy loads of junk I will never use :D
  • Oooh what would u suggest out of that lot? I'm needing a new jacket, top and socks...would the ones from lidl's be ok?

I'm actually also needing a cycling computer...but isn't a £2.99 computer from lidl's being a little too cheap

*note to readers* I am a jobless student :P
  • rrsodl
    Oooh what would u suggest out of that lot? I'm needing a new jacket, top and socks...would the ones from lidl's be ok?

I'm actually also needing a cycling computer...but isn't a £2.99 computer from lidl's being a little too cheap

I paid £36 for a zigma computer but I like better one that I got from Aldi last year for £4.99 I rhink lol

Rick
  • RRSODL wrote:
    Oooh what would u suggest out of that lot? I'm needing a new jacket, top and socks...would the ones from lidl's be ok?

I paid £36 for a zigma computer but I like better one that I got from Aldi last year for £4.99 I rhink lol

Rick

I'm thinking of just buying a jacket, top and a computer. They are cheap enough so it won't break the bank lol
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I'm thinking of just buying a jacket, top and a computer. They are cheap enough so it won't break the bank lol

Don't get too carried away. Its cheap for a reason so not everything is worth buying. The shorts for example are pretty low quality and the gloves are uncomfortable. The only things I use from my Lidl raids when I first started riding are the gilet and the socks. Don't go and buy it just cus its cheap because if you never wear it it doesn't matter how much it was.

Infact. I have a blue/white short sleeve (small) jersey if anyone wants to buy it off me for £3 plus postage. Only worn to try on....its been in the back of my cupboard for personal style reasons but is perfectly functional for those less bothered!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think the ones worth getting are the shoes, socks and computer. The other stuff is not that great IMHO. I have bought one of the computers for my son in the past, it punches well above its weight (er, price).
  • I'm also a jobless student and my bank balance is majorly suffering after some bike-related shopping yesterday. Nevertheless, I find myself inexplicably drawn to the unicycle. Why are bad ideas so alluring?!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It looks like junk to me. The winter stuff was pretty good though - I wear the winter jacket everyday to work - so if any of it is as good as the winter stuff it should be fine, but to me nothing looks worth getting this time around.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm also a jobless student and my bank balance is majorly suffering after some bike-related shopping yesterday. Nevertheless, I find myself inexplicably drawn to the unicycle. Why are bad ideas so alluring?!

I'm not looking forward to being back at uni next year, this year I've spent thousands on cycling stuff this year - my excuse is that I won't be able to afford it next year.

I've spent over £200 this month alone, but hopefully all the stuff should last as it's stuff that have replaced cheap stuff of poor quality bought on student money.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alfablue
    I like your logic reddraggon!
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Prefer the Aldi stuff myself... Still cheap but bloody good quality......
  • alfablue wrote:
    I think the ones worth getting are the shoes, socks and computer. The other stuff is not that great IMHO. I have bought one of the computers for my son in the past, it punches well above its weight (er, price).

Well i'll have a wee look and see. I'm def going for some socks and might as well try the computer :D
  • alfablue
    I got loads of the socks last time, if they are of similar quality they are excellent both on and off the bike. I don't really need the puter or shoes myself, but I am trying to think who I can buy them for (okay guys, not you lot!).
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    What sort of stock levels is my local likely to have? Is it going to hang around for a week or so or sell out quickly?
  • alfablue
    The good stuff may well go quickly, however it all depends on how keen the locals are on cycling. If there is anything REALLY good I get there asap like 8.00am, but I am not sure there is anything that outstanding this time. Last time the socks were there over a week. I have 3 stores in fairly close proximity so I can usually get what I want.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    nice find :) - deffo gonna get some of the socks..
    cartoon.jpg
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Crikey - I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than shop in Lidl. And to think that some people are advocating the possibility of queuing to get in... :shock:

I feel unclean.
  • alfablue
    Yeah, I used to be like that, but I got over it, amongst the poor quality stuff there are some great items at bargain prices such as: 6 stainless steel inset halogen kitchen ceiling lights, with bulbs - £6.99, perect quality; digital caliper, £8.99; SDS drill set (including massive 16mm drill) for fitting my floor anchor point for the bikes through concrete, did the job fine, and I couldn't have bought that drill alone for less than about £15 elsewhere; appliance and furniture shifting kit (jack and wheel sets) £4.99; wrist watch heart rate monitor, works well, £9.99 and so on.

So I have swallowed my pride and used the money saved on beer!
  • DavidTQ
    That ceiling mounted pully bike holder is great Ive been using mine for a year now, Highly recommended...

LIDL is a very mixed bag they do some good stuff at really good prices and some real junk at the same prices. Just got to asses the quality of the item rather than just feeling the price tag :D...

Got a Ice cube maker from there for £50 a few weeks ago, no way it looks like only £50 worth :shock:

Brought a guitar kit from there as well £30 for a guitar case, book, cd, electric tuner. I wondered how on earh they turned it out so cheap, the manufacturer was a german company, looked up their website the manufacturer was selling them at £90! I brought a copy of the "sonic collection" basically about 20 old sega sonic games on the pc, £1.99 at lidl £15 at the GAME shop in the high street! I dont see how there was going to be a quality difference as it was the same item :D...

Also LIDL can be very good for foreign foods, my wife is German and loves picking up everyday German foods that you just cant get in the normal supermarkets. Theres a lot of cheap and nasty there, but theres also some damn good stuff at very very low prices, and a lot of goods that are hard to find elsewhere.
  • rrsodl
    Nuggs wrote:
    Crikey - I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than shop in Lidl. .

Please do, and make sure you stick lots of pins :D you will feel better.... :lol:

Rick
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Would not buy/wear the cycling kit (have tired some in the past and it was shite) but computers are usually good. No-one's mentioned the unicycle on offer for £25 though - how cool is that! 8)
  • Nought wrong with the shoes for commuting, NCN'ing, grandson'ing etc
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Unfortunately I can't get there on Monday - got some really good winter bike gear from Lidl previously.
  • When I saw the picture of the bikes, I thought, "At last! They're selling German commuter bikes." Unfortunately, no.

Why no panniers?
  • DavidTQ
    When I saw the picture of the bikes, I thought, "At last! They're selling German commuter bikes." Unfortunately, no.

Why no panniers?

At lidls prices they'd be worth buying just for a decent dynamo hub :D
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I notice they're not offering a tool kit this year. Just as well as my one from last time has fallen apart, cheap rubbish!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    I notice they're not offering a tool kit this year. Just as well as my one from last time has fallen apart, cheap rubbish!

This puppy?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080310.p.Bicycle_Repair_and_Tool_Kit.ar6
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rrsodl
    Daniel B wrote:

This puppy?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080310.p.Bicycle_Repair_and_Tool_Kit.ar6

Later on in the year Lidl brings a very good multi tool + panniers and some other stuff for bikes.

Rick
  • DavidTQ
    RRSODL wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

This puppy?

Later on in the year Lidl brings a very good multi tool + panniers and some other stuff for bikes.

Rick

Last year the later cycling stuff included a track pump for £3 mines still going perfectly seemed every bit as good as the one I paid a fortune for at my LBS... The one I brought my LBS blew a seal the other day when I was getting my tyres up to 120psi
  • beato
    beato Posts: 3
    always found stuff good enough for daily commute, (can buy lots therefore saving self from having to wear stinky kit) keep better quality stuff for longer rides. ignore the stuff at your loss.