Focus Cayo V Ribble dedacciai

sicrow
sicrow Posts: 791
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
After lots of looking around I am likely to choose either the Focus Cayo £999 or the Ribble 12k monocoque dedacciai with Ultegra £1099 - With the Ribble I can drive up to them approx 1 hour and get measured. Not looking to Race but more of a sportive/ sunday morning 60 mile runs

Any thoughts and advice welcome please

Comments

• fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Be interesting to see what people have to say about Ribble. I am looking at the Dedacciai Scuro framed bike from them
    exercise.png
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've got the Dedacciai Nero Corsa frame - it's good.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I got the £1099 Nero Corsa From Ribble when it was £999 Its a nice frame and nice bike.. It loves to climb and is really stiff and responsive.. A few times I have felt myself climbing and just thought how comfortable I was. Its almost nicer riding it up hills then it is on flats.

I also tried the Dedacciai Scuro frame and found it less balanced then the Corsa. The Corsa has a real nice setback riding position where the Scuro made me feel forced forward.. (could have maybe not been set-up the same as the Corsa)

I was originally going to spend £1300 on something else and when I tested the corsa compared to the other bikes it just felt like quality.. Even on par with the £1500 - £1300 bikes with same groupset.. I love mine and I am sure redddraggon will also when he gets to ride it up some hills..

adios
    doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    I'd vote for Ribble.

I love the look of Focus Cayo for a budget buy, yet those two should be pretty much similar, I'd rather pay the extra and get the close service of Ribble (hypocritical as my bike was all internet but still....)

Oh and i think i read somewhere that it's not all ultegra on the cayo? :S Not sure, can't remember right. Don't quote me on this, it's just a ramble! :P
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Cayo is all Ultegra except the Truvativ Elita 2.2 chainset (and the wheels are Mavic Aksium).
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    azzerb wrote:
    I'd vote for Ribble.

I love the look of Focus Cayo for a budget buy

This is the second time in a week that a £1000 bike has been refered to as "budget" or "entry level". Are you people taking drugs?
  • redddraggon
    azzerb wrote:
    I'd vote for Ribble.

I love the look of Focus Cayo for a budget buy

This is the second time in a week that a £1000 bike has been refered to as "budget" or "entry level". Are you people taking drugs?

I'd definitely say it was the upper end for entry level. Most carbon framesets don't start until around £1000 anyway, so to get a full carbon bike with Ultegra for £1000 is good - but it's still not a DA equipped Cervelo Soloist Carbon is it?

Personally my entry level bike was £270, but I was only young. A lot of people new to cycling have a lot of money and can afford to spend more £1000 on a bike. Buying a bike too cheap can lead to you wanting a better bike really quickly, so it might be said that it's worth spending a bit more on a first bike than originally intended.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    lol I find budget kinda insulting - ahh well who cares if you can ride better then those tools with 3 - 4k bikes
    cartoon.jpg
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Doobz wrote:
    lol I find budget kinda insulting - ahh well who cares if you can ride better then those tools with 3 - 4k bikes

Agree with the first part, the second part though smacks of jealousy.
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Budget is the wrong word. I pushed my budget for my bike which came to just over £1000, so budget no. My first road bike was about £300ish.

But huge value yes for the cayo. The bike should be a lot more than that from some other manufacturers.
  • Buying a bike too cheap can lead to you wanting a better bike really quickly, so it might be said that it's worth spending a bit more on a first bike than originally intended.

So true.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963

how do you know, have you actually ridden it yet?
    <a>road</a>
  • redddraggon

how do you know, have you actually ridden it yet?

I have
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • now thats interesting, dropped off this forum for 3 years due to a move up north, new job and 2 kids............ amazed to see a thread where ribble doesnt get flamed. when i was on here ribble used to get a negative press but it seemed to smack of snobbery to me.

so are we less snobby?? or are ribble making better bikes?

andy.
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    or are ribble making better bikes?

They are, and they've sorted their stock control out as well.
  • I have a Cayo, its a great bike and I'm very happy with it.The only issue is that the head tube is quite short - out of the box i had a 10cm drop between saddle and bars, which is, for me, fairly extreme; perhaps fine for a true race bike, but for sundays, training and sportives, I dont want to be so low at the front. I sorted it by fitting a new stem with a 17 degree rise, giving me a 4cm drop between bars and saddle - happy for up to 150km rides.

So, my feeling is that the cayo attempts to be a true "race bike", but is actually bought mainly by fairly new riders that want sportive / training bikes and dont need the large drop. Maybe then be prepared either to do a bit of sorting to get a more relaxed ride (leaving you with a terrific bike though), go for something more relaxed, or get fitted with ribble, etc so you get a good fit out of the box as it were.

Just my 2p :-)

Jon
  • Clem
    Clem Posts: 546
    I have a Scuro frame - not ridden yet as Easton SLX forks are still on their way - and hope it will be the best bike I've ever had, despite being somewhat cheaper than the Airborne Zepp which I still love and which shrugs off baggage handlers' hammers with ease.

The bottom line isn't really the cost, is it? A great bike's a great bike at any price...
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Can't speak for the Ribble but I got a Cayo Expert last year and have been really please with it. The only thing I've changed is the saddle, pedals and bar tape. But you could expect to change those anyway.
  • Pete789uk
    Pete789uk Posts: 46
    I have just brought a cayo was not sure about buying online and its the most I ever spent on a bike but at £999 for cabon bike with good spec.
    I ahve to say wiggle was good arrived quick well packaged and juts had to set seat and handlebars and we she went so pretty good I guess.
    I guess I would like to support local bike shop but hey they dont do 12 month pay later at 0% if you want it and i saved around £200 to £300 so I am well happy
  • Clem
    Yes, I think the shops can only survive by selling bikes to parents with kids, repairs and impulse purchases.

They just can't compete on race stuff at their prices. A shame but there you are.
  • huwy
    huwy Posts: 91
    I have a Cayo great bike loving it like others have changed the saddle & bar tape it rides beautifully and I'm beating guys on bikes 2x my paltry and obviously 'budget' £1k outlay
  • redddraggon
    huwy wrote:
    I have a Cayo great bike loving it like others have changed the saddle & bar tape it rides beautifully and I'm beating guys on bikes 2x my paltry and obviously 'budget' £1k outlay

I don't know why people get offended when people say £1K is "budget". It is for a top quality road bike. It doesn't mean you can't get good a good bike though. I spent £270 on my first road bike.

£2K Colnago (made in Taiwan) with 105 v £1k Focus/PX (also made in the far east) with Ultegra. I know which I would choose (and it wouldn't be the upmarket Italian brand).

£1K is a reasonable amount to spend on a first bike (or 2nd/3rd/4th etc). After all it's rarely the bike that wins races.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • huwy
    Hi reddragon I think you misundertsood my sarcasm, aimed at those that turn their noses up at a bike from Wiggle even my lbs was rude about my bike (needless to say I won't be shopping their again)

£1k is in my mind a big chunk of cash and the Cayo in my eyes is a thing of beauty ...
  • trw999
    trw999 Posts: 9
    Newbie, first post, good day.

I have come into road bikes from MTB's and didn't have a clue as to what to buy. Coming onto this and other forums, as well as to reviews in the cycling press, led me to wiggle's door and the base Cayo.

I have now done about 500 miles on it and have no regrets at all. I changed the saddle to a BG Toupe Gel, put on winter tyres and flipped over the stem to raise the handlebars a bit and that's it. I find it comfortable, I am getting faster, it is reliable and I am happy. My intial trepidation about buying off the net was ill-founded, wiggle have been and continue to be very good to deal with and all I need to do now is find a good LBS to service the bike for me.
  • huwy
    I have done exactly the same changed to BG Toupe Gel, changed the bar tape flipped the stem - and put on some Fulcrum R3's that were offered to me at a Price too good to turn down, what a bike I Love it.

And even better buying it on bike too work

:D
  • Pete789uk
    Pete789uk Posts: 46
    I have just brought a cayo its the most I have spent on a bike and I am over the moon with super value and all I ahd to do was take it out the box set seat and turn bars happy days
  • Clem
    Huwy, enjoy those New Forest and coastal roads on your bike - my only reservation is a little one on the Bike to Work scheme...

If you're getting a pension through your work (and you really should be, if one is available) there is an impact on this 'fund' for the rest of your life from having bought a bike this way. It's a big saving on the bike initially but the Government will claw it back eventually (assuming you don't die young but happy).

I have to live with a degree of debt management but I wouldn't use Bike to Work as I hope to be paid a pension for decades after I 'retire'.

Anyway, the topic is on cheap quality carbon and basically we can ride around on bikes now that TdF riders would've killed for a few years ago, so hurrah to that!
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    I'm also amazed to hear that Ribble bikes are having good things said about them these days . If you mentioned them on the old cycling+ site you'd have 30 pages of complaints about their customer service !
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • huwy
    woahhh I am now intrested as to how a £1k loan from my employer to buy a bike to commute to work on can effect my pension contributions as I would imagine a lot if people have purchased this way !