Why does everyone hate Shimano

2»

Comments

• Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I choose to use the motoring analogy: I love Alfas, but over the years they have broken my wallet and patience. I now drive a Japanese car, doesn't look as nice and has less soul but boy does it work well, which for significant periods of time the alfas didn't. Shimano all the way!

Good analogy :)
    but the hole in the theory is that I've had a full xennon chainset for 4 years and it hasn't missed a beat. :D (neither has my Shimano for one year to be fair. :D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • I think it is indeed unfair to compare campag to Alfa Romeo, but the general point was italian style (often at the expense of substance) vs Japanese efficiency (often ignoring the aesthetic).
  • coco2
    coco2 Posts: 44
    sorry, but yes...
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    After seeing this thread, I decided to write this story. It probably needs re-writing, but it gives you some idea...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Now Shimano have decided to conceal their gear cables, I'll consider Shimano for my next bike build (if the concealed cable setup has gone retail).

Until then it's Campagnolo all the way....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    cant really say I hate shimano... afterall, they made most components on my bike, and I'm happy with it!
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    I have no problem with Shimano and I don't use their parts if I'm intending to build a bike that I intend to ride through every terrain imaginable, crashing down from everything I can get up on.
    But for cruising around the streets and normal riding... Their parts are fine.

I reckon most of the people who hate Shimano have had a bad experience in one way or another, but in true human style.. We blame it on the parts instead of considering they might not be made for certain things...
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    I love Shimano .... I have it on my Bianchi :wink:

It's great to be .....