Two year ban recommended for Di Luca

2»

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ah, Eric Van Lanker. From nowhere and nobody to someone capable of crushing the field in Liege - Bastogne - Liege with 40 km to go. Proof that the hotsauce was on sale north of the Dolomites?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Kléber wrote:
    Ah, Eric Van Lanker. From nowhere and nobody to someone capable of crushing the field in Liege - Bastogne - Liege with 40 km to go. Proof that the hotsauce was on sale north of the Dolomites?
    Hmm. 1990 was it? So possible.

But he was riding for Panasonic and I seem to recall that they had a number of riders in the chase group which meant no-one was willing to chase en bloc for fear of towing Theunisse, Dhaenens or Fondriest to the finish.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Kléber wrote:

Van Lanker won the Milk Race in 1985...he was a very good rider...before EPO existed in the peleton and was simply a good domestique with some decent classic wins...he never delieverd at the grand tours, depsite being spoken of as a climber for GT terrain.
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    You lot clearly didn't drink / do enough drugs during the 90's. I'm astonished at the level of detail you can remember.

I remember all those guys and some of the races, but whoa, colour me impressed.

:oops: I want a pub quiz about the 1980s professional cycling...I reckon i could win, but Andyp would and yourself would be strong challengers :D :
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    The PDM team was very dominant, it had several riders capable of top-10 places in the Tour GC.

Wasn't it terrible when the entire team was struck down with a stomach bug?

There can't be anything significant in that, Sean Kelly was on that team.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    The PDM team was very dominant, it had several riders capable of top-10 places in the Tour GC.

Wasn't it terrible when the entire team was struck down with a stomach bug?

There can't be anything significant in that, Sean Kelly was on that team.

No, of course not. Dutch super team all coming down with a bug right at the start of the 90's.

:roll:
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    It was blamed on a contaminated batch of iv fluids, a lipid preparation of some sort, IIRC.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • iainf72
    It was blamed on a contaminated batch of iv fluids, a lipid preparation of some sort, IIRC.

Quite.

Knowing what you know now, can you still take that at face value?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    You can read more about PDM here:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/arch ... ov28a.html
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/arch ... /dec1.html

An interesting quote from the second link:
    "President of the UCI, Hein Verbruggen, said when he was told of the intrapilid catastrophe, "the greatest poisoner of West Europe". The French doctor, Jean-Daniel Fleysakier said the riders would have been very ill with "high fever, a feeling like influenza, muscle pain and neck cramp, typical of of an overdose of EPO."

Krikke tried to close the gap of negative publicity for his sponsor in the meanwhile, believeing that he could avoid a more extensive enquiry, but came to two press conferences without one plausible medical explanation. Tour Boss LeBlanc was furious, and immediately placed a ban on PDM for the 1992 Tour. "I do not have one hundred percent confidence that PDM in this affair have behaved properly, but have acted with deceit and trickery. Team leader Gisbers is a small time crook and liar." said Leblanc.
    "

Plus ca change, eh?
  • dave_1
    Kléber wrote:
    You can read more about PDM here:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/arch ... ov28a.html
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/arch ... /dec1.html

An interesting quote from the second link:
    "President of the UCI, Hein Verbruggen, said when he was told of the intrapilid catastrophe, "the greatest poisoner of West Europe". The French doctor, Jean-Daniel Fleysakier said the riders would have been very ill with "high fever, a feeling like influenza, muscle pain and neck cramp, typical of of an overdose of EPO."

Krikke tried to close the gap of negative publicity for his sponsor in the meanwhile, believeing that he could avoid a more extensive enquiry, but came to two press conferences without one plausible medical explanation. Tour Boss LeBlanc was furious, and immediately placed a ban on PDM for the 1992 Tour. "I do not have one hundred percent confidence that PDM in this affair have behaved properly, but have acted with deceit and trickery. Team leader Gisbers is a small time crook and liar." said Leblanc.
    "

Plus ca change, eh?

I can't rememebr any such sentiments by Leblanc...PDM rode the 1992 TDF and were gone by end of 92. Breukink placed top 10 at TDF I think..., didn't Van Popel win a stage? Kelly went to Festina in 1992 though..he was done with PDM as was Earley
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Its hard to imagine cyclingnews.com publishing articles like that these days - that looks more like something from cyclingfansanonymous
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'