Question for the ProCycling Team - Col De La Madone

celbianchi
celbianchi Posts: 854
Hi
The classic climb in this months article is a climb i know well, the Col De La Madone. I have a place on the Cote D'Azur so get over quite often to ride and train in the mountains.

I usually time myself on the Madone from the the foot of the corniche des serres de la madone and can get to the Col in around 52 mins. On bikely.com the route that your reporter rode has been mapped and they have started the route about a mile further up the climb at the junction of the route De Gorbio.

Anyhow - do you or anyone else know where exactly Danielsons 30'24 record starts from (not that I wil be challenging this mark!!!).
Just out of interest!
I am back in France in 2 weeks so would like to have a test over the 'approved' course rather than starting at sea level in Menton.

Comments

• http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-410847-15-3.html contains some hints at least.
  • johnpwr - thanks for the link. i suppose if i go backwards 7.5 miles from the Col i could determine the start line, but there are a couple of approaches to the main part of the climb. As I say i have ridden it a few times but always started the clock from the sea front which makes the climb a good bit longer.

i am sure someone will know the exact start point and i am guessing the ProCycling reporter did his homework before starting out.
  • gregk
    gregk Posts: 17
    I also have a place down there and regularly do the climb. The first few times I didnt find the 'Corniche des Serres...' road near the beach and headed up the road in the valley a few hundred meters further East. This route has some traffic lights, a roundabout and stays quite flat for a couple of km before climbing more steeply (at an altitude of 100m). I suspect that this is the route that Danielson took and took the start point somewhere around the point where it gets steep (about 7.5miles from the top). I wonder if LA used to start there too.
    Some good bike routes in the area here if anyone is interested: http://www.greg-tess.com/bikeroutes/
  • Cheers Greg, and thanks for the link. some good routes there over some roads that i know quite well. It's lovely around Greolieres, can ride for ages and not see a car.
    I have yet to tackle the Col De Turini and will have a look up there in a couple of weeks.
    Do you ever get out over the Tanneron to St Valier De Thiey, that's a good ride.

I think you must be right about the start point for the timed Madone route. Must mean I can take about 6 minutes off my time from the coast :lol:
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    After holidaying at the top of the Col de Turini a few years ago (not the very, very top where the ski-station is but in the village) I became quite familiar with the climb up, espec. from St. Martin but every ride (obviously) had to climb back up so I did it from each side at least once. Hard climb.
  • Hey Greg
    Are you doing the Louis Caput this year? My club (Villeneuve Loubet) organises the ride. Let me know if you are. I live in Saint Paul de Vence and know most of the routes that you have mapped out. As you say it's a pretty good place to ride a bike.
  • diarmuid
    diarmuid Posts: 73
    Hi guys, I did the Col de la Madone (starting in Nice) on Friday. It was my first time but it was tough. There were a few points where I wasn't sure if I was on the right track but I think I got it right. I have some time on my hands over the next few weeks so I will try out a few of the rides on Greg's site.
    BTW Mick what is the club in VL like? I have been thinking about joining one in the region but never got around to it