shaving

2»

Comments

• Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Saying that many pro ruggers shave, as do tennis players and football players...
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've recently shaved my right shin... but that's cause of a tattoo

it just feels wrong
    I have several large tattoos on legs and they look much better with shaved legs :D

Nice work, my legs aren't that hairy anyways so it's just about the feeling for me...

What did the other players say to your shaven havens?

When I was playing, I was the only one with shaven legs :D
    I did not give a sheet what others thought, they used to laugh but I used to give a lot of stick anyhow so never worried.
    You guys are too sensative about what others think !! I played national league squash also, no one really commented abot them there, probably put off by my tattoos 8)
    I dont worry about what clothes I wear on a bike either. Why are most cyclists always worried about what other people think? What an insecure lot !!!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    And here you can see my shaved leg just after having my leg tattooed for 7 hours ouch :D
    Mine is the leg, first pic on second row, red celtic one.

http://www.woodystattoostudio.com/WOODY'S%20GALLERY%20%205%20-%201.htm
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I play Rugby as well so not really a good Idea.
    Not just some cyclists and swimmers shave their legs, but also some runners and several rugby players. The current pin-up boy of French rugby, Sébastien Chabal, who I think plays for an English club, has a lot of manly facial hair but nonetheless shaves his legs. The woman’s magazine ‘Elle’ did a long article on how erotic he was, shaved legs and all.

If you shave your legs and your rugby mates don’t like it, it’s their problem, not yours. Same goes for ru— and his squash pals, if they ridicule, it’s only their own insecurity coming out.

When you think about it, there’s no logic in western society about who cuts their hair where and why. Most men depend on a higher calorie intake than women for controlling body temperature, largely because men carry less fat but also because men’s hair ‘insulation’ is usually less where it counts most, on the head. So why not allow it that a man can have less hair over all his body than a woman, legs and armpits included?
  • mrushton wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    My girlfriend loves it. :wink:

As does mine :D:wink::D

Mine too! :wink::wink:
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited February 2008
    And here you can see my shaved leg just after having my leg tattooed for 7 hours ouch :D
    Mine is the leg, first pic on second row, red celtic one.

http://www.woodystattoostudio.com/WOODY'S%20GALLERY%20%205%20-%201.htm

good quality ink there... far to much colour in there for me personally... but it's not my tattoo is it :lol:

I had a traditional maori piece done in NZ with the hand tools for 7 of the 9 hours... that stung I can tell you.

With these
    TatuInstruments.jpg

and a lot of
    TattooMyArse.jpg

They came up with this

*warning you can see the side of my @rse :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/clever_pun/New%20Zealand/TattoowithBruising.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I've often wondered how far do you shave your legs?

Do you just go up to your thighs, so only the parts showing are shaved. Or do you go all the way up the the top of your legs and/or further? :shock:
    And if you go further up, where do you stop?

If I started shaving my legs, I would have to shave my whole body, as I'm a bit of a gorilla. And I'm definately not shaving my chest again....oooh the stubble.
  • I have a perverse view of it I think: shave themm to worry your non cycling friends, and not shave them to upset cycling buddies....
  • disney
    disney Posts: 51
    Just wait for time to help. Let the hair on your head migrate to the legs. AS your head is the first object to hit the wind you will be very streamlined. If you insist on the plucked turkey approach, remember the hair in nose, ears and crotch: slipstreamed and extra cooling.
    Remember God only made a few perfect heads. The others he covered with hair!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Humour: Leg shaving advice for cyclists

Advice from the Fat Cyclist
  • 2Fast4Love
    2Fast4Love Posts: 123
    Surely waxing has to be the better way?? I couldn't deal with stubble every couple of days.
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I don't even shave my face - I certainly can't be bothered to shave my legs :)

I actually have a Remington shaver - it's over 40 years old and is almost unused :lol:

That said, my legs aren't very hairy anyway.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • My mum was asking me about why cyclists shave their legs and was shocked to find that I haven't bit the bullet yet and done it, so now she says she is gonna book my in for a leg wax when she next gets her done lol. :P
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    It's really funny reading all these justifications like the old chestnut "easier to heal leg wounds"

The real reason is that we shave our legs so other roadies will take us seriously.

end of story. Let's just admit it and to hell with what anyone else says. What do we care?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Saying that many pro ruggers shave, as do tennis players and football players...

I think this statement hits the nail on the head with the 3 letter word between 'many' and 'ruggers'

the rest of you are kiddin yourselves on! with the following caveats.

Fair enough if your missus likes it (we all do things just cos our missus likes it)
    Fair enough if your racing.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MegaCycle wrote:
    It's really funny reading all these justifications like the old chestnut "easier to heal leg wounds"

The real reason is that we shave our legs so other roadies will take us seriously.

end of story. Let's just admit it and to hell with what anyone else says. What do we care?

I have to agree with you there. I have been thinking of doing it for the summer and have been looking up the advantages, but mostly I think if i'm gonna do it, it's because most other roadies do it. I don't wanna be the odd one out. :P

I bet i'm gonna feel stupid though cus I have quite hairy legs (not like a monkey though), have dark hair and since they haven't seen much sunlight over the winter are quite white, so it will probs take some getting used to lol.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Ross,

If it's not too personal, where are you going to stop?

Sounds like a tricky decision to me - stubble is pretty abrasive...

J
  • jedster wrote:
    Ross,

If it's not too personal, where are you going to stop?

Sounds like a tricky decision to me - stubble is pretty abrasive...

J

Hmmm I never actually thought of that.....what do most other people do?

Wouldn't it look stupid only having a portion of the leg shaved?
  • Morpeth
    Morpeth Posts: 104
    To me leg shaving is a mark of a Racer, someone who takes racing and themselves a little too seriously. It’s like a badge of honor.

My method is Philips Bodygroom (for the athletic but sensitive man!), followed by a loofer and Dove soap. In my experience the hair is not dense enough to cause any real irritation.
    :x