shaving

lugster77
lugster77 Posts: 50
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
what's the general consensus on shaving your legs? not for aerodynamics i dont go fast enough!!

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    helps me put my stockings on :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • ever had a crash at 35 miles an hour? been dragged along the tarmac combining lycra and road grit? the last thing yo wanna do is add hair into the mix of a nasty piece of road rash. Clean legs means clean wounds which helps healing - plus it hurts less when you have to remove the plasters! :wink:

And on the up side freshly shaved legs feel amazing!

Gats
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    My girlfriend loves it. :wink:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    whyamihere wrote:

As does mine :D:wink::D
    M.Rushton
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    My missus hates my "turkey drumsticks" - not that this stops me.

But lets be honest here guys, the pros shave their legs because 1.road rash is easier to clean 2.it's easier to massage shaved legs 3.their leg muscles look buff. Amateurs shave their legs because they want to look like pros! :wink:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Bronzie wrote:
    My missus hates my "turkey drumsticks" - not that this stops me.

But lets be honest here guys, the pros shave their legs because 1.road rash is easier to clean 2.it's easier to massage shaved legs 3.their leg muscles look buff. Amateurs shave their legs because they want to look like pros! :wink:

I like it. It looks better, esp. in Summer and 'my girlfriend loves it'
    M.Rushton
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    In common with all body hair ( :wink: ), hairy looks so wrong, shaven looks just as bad - trim is the way to go! :wink::wink:
    Still breathing.....
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    I wasn't one for the whole shaving the legs thing until I had a bad fall where by most of the skin on my leg came off. It bled and weeped a lot for a long time and the hair got trapped underneath the forming scare, not pleasant. Dressing wouldn't stick and it slowed the healing process. For that reason I keep my legs hair free, a bonus is the increased muscle definition it gives you.
    It's all good.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    ever had a crash at 35 miles an hour? been dragged along the tarmac combining lycra and road grit? the last thing yo wanna do is add hair into the mix of a nasty piece of road rash. Clean legs means clean wounds which helps healing - plus it hurts less when you have to remove the plasters! :wink:

And on the up side freshly shaved legs feel amazing!

Gats

lol, the last thing that would be worrying me would be my hairy legs whilst crashing at 35mph.

I'm too lazy to shave my legs. I prefer just not falling off at 35mph!! :lol:
  • Adamskii wrote:
    I wasn't one for the whole shaving the legs thing until I had a bad fall where by most of the skin on my leg came off. It bled and weeped a lot for a long time and the hair got trapped underneath the forming scare, not pleasant. Dressing wouldn't stick and it slowed the healing process. For that reason I keep my legs hair free, a bonus is the increased muscle definition it gives you.

JESUS A SQUIRREL SHAVIN. THATS ALOT OF HAIR!!!! :lol:
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    I'm too lazy to shave my face, so can't see me ever getting round to doing my legs! :lol:
  • lol takes me long enough to get round to shaving my chops too. shaved legs it is then! hope i'm not tempting fate cos i've never fallen off with the current gorilla stylee legs,...
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    ask the missus to do it the first few times for you so you get the feel for it otherwise I can guarantee your going to end up with some pretty horrible cuts on your shins, knees and your ankles -

I used to shave when I rode when I was younger and will probably do again when its warm enough to get out of tights and leg warmers..
    cartoon.jpg
  • mrushton wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Pff, mines seen some photos from last year and banned me :cry:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Ever tried rubbing Deep Heat and baby oil into hairy legs???? :shock:
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I've been doing it for 15+ years - I now think my legs look really wierd if I let them get hairy... :wink:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • makes your muscles look bigger....and sexy :D
  • Shavin...............no thank you.

I use Nair hair removal cream with baby oil moisturiser!

Just be careful not to get it on places where you want hair, its bloody good stuff, and oh so silky smooth.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Shaving or waxing?
  • I play Rugby as well so not really a good Idea.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Shave if you race, otherwise it's not really worth the effort..... I used to shave during the racing season, but only from mid thigh down - don't go too far up...ouch...rubbing stubble.

Don't bother now, but still wear bib tights in the summer - brought up that you should keep the legs warm, and hairy legs look terrible on road bikes......
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    mrushton wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    Pff, mines seen some photos from last year and banned me :cry:
    My girlfriend used to be a competitive swimmer, so has always been around and fancied guys with shaved everything... I'm relatively hairy as I don't shave my arms or chest...
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    it is a difficult choice. its simply down to whether a) can you take the ridicule of other cyclists with your hairy legs or b) can you take the ridicule of your friends over your smooth legs, coz they never ever understand why we do it. I'm still in two minds. Really we should never need to should we, most of us never have deep massages, and hopefully most don't fall off at 35mph, so its simply down to the fact that we want to look like a pro and we don't want to look un serious to other bikies.

I can never get over the horrible feeling of putting trousers on immediately after shaving...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've recently shaved my right shin... but that's cause of a tattoo

it just feels wrong
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I play Rugby as well so not really a good Idea.
    Why not? I used to play rugby and cycle also, made lubricating legs much easier before games.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Clever Pun wrote:

it just feels wrong
    I have several large tattoos on legs and they look much better with shaved legs :D
  • ru--
    ru-- Posts: 27
    I play a load of squash as well as cycling. If I wandered on court at training with silky smooth legs, I would be ridiculed senseless for the rest of my life!

Perhaps it's time hairy became acceptable, for non-racers at least...?
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    I guess it depends if you're a hairy monkey like ape or not. I don't have any body hair so smooth legs don't look out of place. If you're naturally hairy however it my look a little wired.
    It's all good.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

it just feels wrong
    I have several large tattoos on legs and they look much better with shaved legs :D

Nice work, my legs aren't that hairy anyways so it's just about the feeling for me...

What did the other players say to your shaven havens?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • ru-- wrote:
    I play a load of squash as well as cycling. If I wandered on court at training with silky smooth legs, I would be ridiculed senseless for the rest of my life!

Perhaps it's time hairy became acceptable, for non-racers at least...?

That was pretty much my point,guys I play Rugby are not the most forgiving bunch.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy