Riding With A Sore Throat And Cold

stephec
stephec Posts: 795
For over a week now I've had a cough, sore throat and cold. It's left me feeling a bit knackered as well, and I haven't been on the bike for a fortnight.

Am I likely to do any harm by nipping out for an hours easy paced spin in the cold rain, or should I just accept that I'll have to rest until it's cleared up?

Comments

• petew
    petew Posts: 47
    or wait till the rain stops? have you got a turbo?
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I had a cold at the beginning of the month, and in the afternoon when it warmed up I did a gentle 20 mile ride (OK 1 1/2 hrs) but who cares.

I would ride if the weather is fine, but do take it easy, if its cold and wet, you would be better to just stay in and rest.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Just take it easy - so long as it's not flu you are fine.

The cold might invoke a coughing fit as you come home - the cold air is OK, but as soon as you hit the warm air.... that's what's been getting me the last three weeks.
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    The general rule is you can train (but keep it steady) if it's a head cold, but you should put your feet up if you have anything below the neck i.e. in the chest.

That said, I find it really difficult to stop training and cannot handle sitting around doing nothing!
    Thanks to everyone for the advice, it sort of confirmed what I was already thinking.

I stayed in and watched the league cup final with some cans of Guinness instead, mmmm nice! :D
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    All that Iron will heal you and give you plenty of strength for when you return :wink:
    It's all good.