Recovery

mr-ed
mr-ed Posts: 130
I've been thinking about what I eat or drink after riding. My legs have been feeling sore recently as a result of inceased milage I think! I thought I might try some recovery drinks but wasn't sure what too look for, or are there any foods better to eat after riding?

Cheers Ed.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    If your legs are sore the day after a hard ride, best thing to do is a very easy "recovery ride" - can do it on the road, using easy gears up the hills so that you can hardly feel the pedals - or on a turbo set with low resistance/gears. 30mins to an hour should suffice.

Follow this up with some leg stretches if you don't already do them and some massage (self-inflicted or even better get the other half to do it).

The recovery drinks (like PSP Re-Go) or just some whey protein mixed with water can help your body recover from hard training, but don't necessarily make your legs feel any less sore.
  • Hi there.

I find that some extra vitamin-z and an easy day the next day does the trick.

Cheers, Andy
  • Hi again.

Sorry, vitamin z == sleep!

Cheers, Andy

ps You know you've been overdoing it if you need ibuprofen to get to sleep at night...
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    I find SIS Rego a good recovery drink (my favourite flavour is banana) although there are probably other products on the market which do the job just as well.

Something else which helps (although it's horrible) is showering your legs with cold water after the ride.

Also, this may be obvious and you may be doing it already, but you should warm down at the end of the ride, riding gently for the last few miles.

http://cyclingnutrition.blogspot.com/

anyone ever used it for anything other than resistance training? Is it worth the money?

Gats
  • ru--
    ru-- Posts: 27
    I find SIS Rego a good recovery drink (my favourite flavour is banana) although there are probably other products on the market which do the job just as well.

I don't bother with those branded ones. I just buy bulk maltodextrin and protein (I go for rice protein) and mix my own recovery formula - so much cheaper!
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I use Mars Refuel. Have to declare an interest as I work for Mars but nonetheless was sceptical. But it seems to work. Obviously difficult to prove one way or the other, can say that I have been ramping training up to quite high levels and managed to do this without feeling knackered/showing any obvious signs of overtraining. Also forgot to take any to Wales when riding last weekend and feeling a bit rough now.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • A cup of tea and a normal meal does me, beans on toast or a ham sandwich with salad. None of the sports related stuff appeals to me even though it might be the DB's.
  • nice bowl of cereal for me - bit of fruit and fibre, handful of mini shredded wheat, blueberries, raspberries, banana, honey, cinnamon and a sprinkling of nuts and seeds drenched in ice cold milk!

and a cuppa red bush. Lush!

Gats