Thanks one and all

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
Now I know why I train.
Just been out in the hills and wind. A guy turned up to Old Byland just in front of me down at Rievaulx, as I was with a mate I let him go. By the time we had made the mile or two climb he was out of sight, however round the next bend we caught sight of him head down about 300 yds ahead fighting into a horrendous headwind with no let up for a couple of miles. It didn't take too long for me to up the pace and try and catch him, he looked behind clocked me and stood up on the pedals to leave me, after about 5 minutes although I was catching him I new I was a spent force so I eased up for all of 2 seconds when my mind went back to the training sessions of 20 and 40 minutes at 80 and 85% max, and , you've done this in training do do it now, head down back on the power and in less than 5 minutes I'd caught him, job done, many thanks to every one who has offered advice because without those training sessions on the rollers I wouldn't have caught him. :D:D:D
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    :D:D Yeah well done John!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Was it Mike?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • John C.
    DaveyL wrote:
    Was it Mike?
    He was one of many.

The thing I learnt on the rollers was that I can actually push myself a lot further than I thought I could.

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    John C. wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    Was it Mike?
    He was one of many.

The thing I learnt on the rollers was that I can actually push myself a lot further than I thought I could.

No, I meant - the bloke you caught on the ride. 8)
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Well done John. It's very satisfying when you really feel the extra 'oomph' in your legs which is the undeniable evidence that the training is paying off.
    John C. wrote:
    So you've been training at 80-85maxHR. Have you started doing any 20 minute intervals above 85%maxHR yet? Maybe you can push yourself even further.................? :wink:

Ruth
  • John C.
    was it Mike ?

The state I was in when I caught the rider I think I did well to notice he was male :wink: He waved me passed so he could tuck in, On your bike mate I'm knackered, carry on I'll tuck in. I did notice he was on a nice carbon Ridley bike which was in stark contrast to my loaded up gas pipe winter hack :lol:

Ruth,
    It was maybe you who got me to do the 40 at 80% when I said the 20 minutes was easier than I thought. Yes I have done 20 at 85% and could not believe how much harder it was, so I guess it goes without saying that I'm going to have to go for 20 at 90%.
    That said there was no doubt in my mind that if I hadn't done those sessions I would have just let the guy go. In some ways I wish I'd been wearing my HRM just to see what was going on, then again it may have scared the sh*t out of me too much.

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    John C. wrote:
    Ruth,
    It was maybe you who got me to do the 40 at 80% when I said the 20 minutes was easier than I thought. Yes I have done 20 at 85% and could not believe how much harder it was, so I guess it goes without saying that I'm going to have to go for 20 at 90%.
    Everyone has a different ability to do steady efforts (eg. 20min intervals) at higher and higher %maxHR. Some can sustain as much as 92% without feeling it's a maximal effort whereas others really start to find the going tough when they get much above 86-87%. Add to that all the other factors that affect HR like temperature, tiredness, cadence, the fact that your HR won't rise to these levels for several minutes even when you're working hard enough.................... and you really start getting to the kind of training where HR doesn't tell the whole story. So don't get hung up about achieving a certain HR, but also don't be afraid to do some 20min efforts that push your HR up over 85%. If you can do them at 90%, great. If you find these just too hard, then don't worry - but do them as hard as you can.
    That said there was no doubt in my mind that if I hadn't done those sessions I would have just let the guy go. In some ways I wish I'd been wearing my HRM just to see what was going on, then again it may have scared the sh*t out of me too much.
    You're proving the point that there's a big psychological element to hard training - if hard efforts are familiar in training, you really can be confident about 'going for it' when the need arises - as it did for you yesterday! :D

Ruth
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Congrats. I think points made above about fact its not just about training the body but also the mind are very true.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • DaveyL wrote:
    Was it Mike?

You wish.

Fortunately class and talent is timeless or in your case no class and no talent. :D