Excessive Calorie Burn

jordanweeks
jordanweeks Posts: 13
Hi Folks,

I have a quick question regarding calories I burn during a cycle ride.

I recently read that it was normal to burn around 300 calories per hour on a bike ride.

However, I use two types of heart rate monitors, a polar f5 and also a garmin edge 305 (I dont use them at the same time)

My calories burnt during a ride are always in the region of 800 +/- per hour. This seems a little excessive..?!

Is this normal, or do HRM's have a tendancy to over estimate calories burnt?

STATS:
I am reasonably fit and think nothing of rides in the 50 mile region.
6' 3"
175lb
Male

I hope someone can help me...

Thanks

Comments

• IME with power meters and HRM's that measure calories, +/-800 is a better estimation.
    It is dependent upon the intensity of the ride though.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    1000 calories per hour on a hilly ride is very common for me! six three as well and 13 stone.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I read on the cyclingnews.com fitness Q&A page a whole ago that it was approx. 12 cal per hour per kg of body weight for a ride at about 16-18 mph. Obviously terrain is key here, as a ride of that speed on the flat would burn far fewer calories than a very hilly ride averaging the same speed. But it seems a good ballpark figure to me.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • The search engine is your friend. :wink:

Try a search for the recent thread using the words "garmin calorie" for a discussion on this.
  • 500-1000 kcal depending on speed & fitness. I manage 500 - 600 at best - almost 50, lardy girly. 1000 would be unusual I think!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I cant see how just a HRM can accurately work out calorie burn.

1000 seems very high - and 500 low - so prob 750 would be not too far wide of the mark.
  • cougie wrote:
    I cant see how just a HRM can accurately work out calorie burn.
    It can't.

You need a power meter or a lab gas analysis to measure calories with any reasonable accuracy.