Tour of California spoiler

campagchris
campagchris Posts: 773
edited February 2008 in Pro race
Wow what a finish,and high road screwed up big time.

1=Boonen
2=Hausler
3=Cipollini
4=Cavendish as far as I could make out ciolek couldn't stay on cavs wheel :roll:
5=JJ Haedo I think,after puncturing with 4 miles to go what a ride to get back to the front.
great gallop

Comments

• deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Wow what a finish,and high road screwed up big time.

4=Cavendish as far as I could make out ciolek couldn't stay on cavs wheel :
    great gallop

Thats about it, I agree.

Somebody is going to be "Sulking" in the High Road bus at the moment.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Ciolek put on the brakes (or he sat up) when he saw everyone was on his wheel and Cav was flying and boy did it work! Too bad they did it a few hundreds meters too soon, but that was one classy move. Had Cav put his head down and pushed it to the end instead up sitting up and looking back, he just might of had that one. Give them a year to polish things off and those two could be an incredible pair. That sprint got me out of my chair. High Road screwed up, but I salute them for trying something like that.

Iain is still on vacation, right?
  • drenkrom wrote:
    Ciolek put on the brakes (or he sat up) when he saw everyone was on his wheel and Cav was flying and boy did it work! Too bad they did it a few hundreds meters too soon, but that was one classy move. Had Cav put his head down and pushed it to the end instead up sitting up and looking back, he just might of had that one. Give them a year to polish things off and those two could be an incredible pair. That sprint got me out of my chair. High Road screwed up, but I salute them for trying something like that.

Iain is still on vacation, right?

Yup, great finish. It looked like a planned move to me too. Haedo almost pulled a Robbie McEwen come from behind win.

correction: After viewing cycling.tv's call, I agree with Brian Smith. Gerald Ciolek fell off of Mark Cavendish's wheel.

I have a stage recap and video links on my tour of california dashboard:
    http://www.steephill.tv/tour-of-califor ... sults-2008
    www.steephill.tv bike travelogue
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Cipollini 3th, what a man! 42 years??
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • JJ Haedo did marvelous to get back on,but I bet Cav is kicking himself he had loads of speed and it should have been Ciolek leading him out.Fantastic gallop to watch though.Lets hope we have many gallop's featuring Cav this year mixing it with the big boys.
  • Go Cipo! - Unless he is being a dope.
  • Moose11
    Moose11 Posts: 235
    I never realised Cippo was making a comeback... Thats great to see the old-timer school some of the younger guys. Would be sweet to see him win a stage.
  • Boonen blamed Cipo for letting a gap go :lol:
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Steephill what a fantastic site! I hope you're doing this all year :D Well done, you made my night tonight with all these clips
  • drenkrom
    Did you see my man Dom go?!?! What a ride.

Please someone bring this guy to Europe so he stops ripping the legs off us on training runs.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    OK, is it me or is it astonishing that Cancellara got over Stage 3 within 20 secs of Levi? Or was it a case of being dropped and TTing his way back with Millar et al?

GC in the bag then!

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    calvjones wrote:
    OK, is it me or is it astonishing that Cancellara got over Stage 3 within 20 secs of Levi? Or was it a case of being dropped and TTing his way back with Millar et al?

GC in the bag then!

It is pretty impressive, but I was more surprised that the group didn't catch Leipheimer and Gesink. I mean, Millar, Zabriskie and Cancellara all taking equal turns at the front and they still couldn't catch them...

One other thing that impressed me: Oscar Freire finishing in the second group on the road? I know he's always been the best climber out of the sprinters, but he was saying in the press conference how out of shape he was! Right now he's higher on GC than many of the pre-race favourites.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Seems like Petacchi has been upping his climbing too. Maybe the Worlds & Olympic courses having an influence?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Hey afx that was the first thing i thought yesterday, damn man how sad is it that already i found myself questioning a guy from Astana and a guy from Rabobank staying away like that, especially when u watch the interview with Horner who says the the group were all going balls out!...

As far as these guys getting over the climbs, we're not exactly talking col's here are we and its so early season that the level of fitness on all is down, so i'm not so surprised they are keeping up.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Hey afx that was the first thing i thought yesterday, damn man how sad is it that already i found myself questioning a guy from Astana and a guy from Rabobank staying away like that, especially when u watch the interview with Horner who says the the group were all going balls out!...

As far as these guys getting over the climbs, we're not exactly talking col's here are we and its so early season that the level of fitness on all is down, so i'm not so surprised they are keeping up.

Don't forget that the gallopers need to be on form already for the Spring Classics. The GT riders have a few months yet to be ready
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Moomaloid wrote:

What with HET VOLK next weekend and then a multitude of Belgian Races to follow up to the Tour of FLANDERS a MONTH later . !!!!!!!!!!
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • I don't like Leipheimer.
  • afx237vi
    Neither do I.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I don't like Leipheimer.

Any particular reason?

Or is it like my "no specific reason" dislike of Wiggins?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I don't like Leipheimer because he's one of those riders that is rude and obnoxious except when there's a camera pointed his way then he's all smarm and smiles - a totally false man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    micron wrote:
    I don't like Leipheimer because he's one of those riders that is rude and obnoxious except when there's a camera pointed his way then he's all smarm and smiles - a totally false man.

Have you met him?
  • afx237vi
    I don't dislike him as a person, but he's just a very boring rider. Cadel Evans is more exciting. Plus he has a REALLY ugly bike-riding style.
  • micron
    Yes, when he was riding for Rabobank at the Tour of Poitou-Charentes. And I have American friends who worked on last year's ToC who confirmed what I thought of him.
  • dave_1
    micron wrote:
    Yes, when he was riding for Rabobank at the Tour of Poitou-Charentes. And I have American friends who worked on last year's ToC who confirmed what I thought of him.

WHat did he do :o :?:
  • micron
    My son asked for an autograph, he ignored him and pushed past him, then when someone pointed a camera at him he was all smiles signing autographs. All other riders have always been happy to sign camera or no camera. My friends in America confirm he is very surly and uncooperative unless there is good PR in it for him.
  • dave_1
    micron wrote:
    My son asked for an autograph, he ignored him and pushed past him, then when someone pointed a camera at him he was all smiles signing autographs. All other riders have always been happy to sign camera or no camera. My friends in America confirm he is very surly and uncooperative unless there is good PR in it for him.

fair enough...sounds not a great experience. I rarely approach pros, rarely did I mean, but found the notoriously prickly character Robert Millar to be be perfectly friendly, yet heard some very bad reports of Robert telling a fan to %#~" #*/ it depends when they're approached.
  • drenkrom
    WOW! While everyone ws on Ciolek's whell, Cav came screaming past. Great sprint for High Horse.
  • afx237vi
    Even better when you consider Cavendish crashed with what, 10km to go?! Great attack by Millar on the final lap too.
  • drenkrom
    Yep. You Brits got some bragging rights today. They expire in 24 hours. :wink:
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Stage 6 - February 23: Santa Barbara - Santa Clarita, 109 mi / 175 km
    Provisional Results
    1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) High Road
    2 Luciano André Pagliarini Mendonca (Bra) Saunier Duval-Scott
    3 Juan Jose Haedo (Arg) Team CSC

General classification after stage 6
    1 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Astana