introducing the girlfriend...

Random Vince
Random Vince Posts: 11,374
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
my girlfriend has just gotten herself a second hand trek 7000, she's done bits of biking before, mainly just mucking about in the woods / fire roads and old railway lines

should I just take her to cannock chase and see how she gets on or build up into things a little more gradually?
My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Start small, build up. Nowt puts somebody off more than chucking them in at the deep end on a long muddy ride!
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Oooook, I'm right in the middle of this so here's my take.

Always ride behind. The last thing she needs to see is you skipping effortlessly over the unrideable rock garden she sees before her.

Always be positive, what's she doing right, before picking up on the wrong.

Sell it for the phenomenal exercise it is!

If she's not ridden a geared bike with rapid fire shifters, consider the fact that they don't make any sense whatsoever! Pick a route with terrain where she can stay on the middle ring and work with the rear shifter first.

The bike fit is so, so critical. My wife has got on very well with her Specialized. A Women's specific bike is not critical only for small women as is often perceived but more when they have long legs compared to upper body length. Yes a gents might be suitable but don't put it purely down to marketing. I'm 4" taller than my wife yet we have the same inside leg - she needs a 17" frame like me but needs a significantly shorter top tube than a gents bike would have, consider that when buying.

Clothing is key, like us guys, she's going to get saddle sore the first few times, only a hell of a lot worse. A good set of leggings with a decent pad (don't scrimp on this!) will work wonders, get her some funky baggies (some quick drying women's O'Neill boardshorts from my shop did the job) to go over the top as well! Don't underestimate style, my wife doesn't feel like a dorky cyclist and actually likes getting all her trendy gear on - a sleek lilac helmet, a funky jersey and some bubble gum blue sombrio gloves go a long way to improving that cycling image!

Also, saddles, don't be cheap and softer isn't always better. The women's Charge saddle is supposed to be good and my Wife really appreciates her Specialized one after originally trying a different budget female saddle.

If she's not done much exercise prior to this, get her out on the road or forest tracks and include a few undulating hills (no lung busting climbs just yet). Proper offroad riding is a killer and you'll probably take it for granted how fit you personally are.

Good luck! I'm having a lot of success getting my wife involved and she's very proud of the fact that she's learning to mountain bike! It's a lot of fun if you succeed and it's nice to share all this fun you're having!
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    Worse thing i did was take my Girlfriend to Lllandegla on her third bike ride. She hadn't been on a bike for about 15 years and i rushed her into it.
    Keep her to flat roads till shes ready to venture further
  • what u could do is make sure a tyre on her bike has a slow puncture then with a bit of luck you can lose her somewhere.
  • zero303
    Moron.
  • Random Vince
    what u could do is make sure a tyre on her bike has a slow puncture then with a bit of luck you can lose her somewhere.

or on the other extreme i could pause for breath at the top of a huge climb and propose

both being daft ideas

[normal service]

i think she'd prefer me to go first through sections, 1) to see the route i take, 2) i'll only hear her fall off, not see her fall off

she's used to heaving a heavy supermarket full sus bike to and from the local town allong a hilly railway line at her parents house, so this is more of a change of terrain.

that will be all

• im just suggesting that it might be easier in the long run to leave her at home.
    zero303 wrote:
    Moron.

save the childish name calling for the playground please
  • zero303
    edited February 2008
    double post...
  • zero303
    Well to be fair it was the useless childish addition from yourself that provoked it...

If you had nothing useful to add why bother?
  • if it wasnt useful i wouldnt have added it
  • Random Vince
    rapid_uphill;

If you read my first post you would realise that she's done a fair bit of biking on cycle trails and has chosen to give proper biking a go and as such bought a bike that's up to the job

thus we're past the "would it be better to leave her behind?"

and as such your comment was as needed as a spare wheel on a snowmobile.

that will be all

• Not all women are useless and slow anyway....so there is no no need for him to "leave her behind"...she could be snapping at his heels for all we know.

oops soz rant over :oops:
  • Not all women are useless and slow anyway....so there is no no need for him to "leave her behind"...she could be snapping at his heels for all we know.

Ditto.... :evil:
    MySpace
    All fur coat and no knickers....
  • Random Vince
    beccalily wrote:
    Not all women are useless and slow anyway....so there is no no need for him to "leave her behind"...she could be snapping at his heels for all we know.

the fact that my mtb is singlespeed might assist her in keeping up :P

that will be all

• Only if you've got wimpy legs not nice manly legs :wink: lol
  • Random Vince
    depends on the gearing

the gearing is set for climbing in the lake district

that will be all

• I'll let you off then :lol:...if you can get up hills up there on a singlespeed i salute your manly legs :D
  • Pics of manly legs??? :D

Beccalily posted photos of her tattoos & dress when requested.......... :lol:
  • Random Vince
    Pics of manly legs??? :D

Beccalily posted photos of her tattoos & dress when requested.......... :lol:

might regret this...

photo26nb0.jpg

that will be all

• :lol:

Thought I had stopped all discussion cos thread went very quiet!!!!!

Was expecting to see a bit of flesh tho...... from knees down of course!! :lol:
  • Hasten to add - from knees down when standing upright!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
  • beccalily wrote:
    Not all women are useless and slow anyway....so there is no no need for him to "leave her behind"...she could be snapping at his heels for all we know.

ooohhh the girls have arrived in force.
    and yeah just take it easy on a gentle ride on a lovely sunny day, somewhere with nice views. thats what i'd do. and personally i'd let her go first as i'd ride away and leave her behind completely accidentally :(
  • Can be quite useful to see how other people tackle things tho...

Is there a skills area anywhere to play about on to show her some basic skills?

I quite like others going ahead of me - then I am not seen making a fool of myself!! As long as you don't completely leave her behind.....

Why not ask her what she would prefer to do - everyone is different in the way they learn best!
  • Random Vince
    :lol:

Thought I had stopped all discussion cos thread went very quiet!!!!!

Was expecting to see a bit of flesh tho...... from knees down of course!! :lol:

ah, you didn't state that.

that will be all

• Did ask to see manly legs, not jeans!!!! :lol:
  • Random Vince
    you asked for legs, you did not specify which way up they had to be or with or without trousers.

thats like asking for a hire car and complaining when it's too small.

that will be all

• Go on..you show me yours..i'll show you mine :lol:
  • All I can see now is excuses!! :roll:
  • It's all about manly legs, also changing the gearing on your singlespeed to something ridiculous when you go into a bike shop. Ideally something like 44:11, that's gearing for real men.
  • My legs are fit. End of. :lol:
    MySpace
    All fur coat and no knickers....