Powermeter - should I or shouldn't I?

phil s
phil s Posts: 1,128
Hi, this is a question aimed primarily at those guys who've used some kind of powermeter for their training, I'd like to hear your experiences of whether you've found it helpful or got fed up with it.
I'm a Cat 2 racer, been comfortable in that category for three seasons without actually racing loads - I always do enough to keep my Cat 2 status. This season, though, I'm racing a lot more and looking to step up to Cat 1, and have some specific objectives.
I currently train with a heart rate monitor, although for short, hard intervals I use perceived exertion, i.e. as hard as I can go at the time. What I find frustrating about my training is that even with my training history recorded I can't truly quantify actual improvements. I know that I feel stronger now than I did two years ago but I have no specific measure for this. Therefore, it seems a bit like guesswork.
Now, I'm seriously tempted to get a Powertap but part of me wonders if the novelty of having a new toy will wear off after a couple of months or if it will really be the kind of training aid that will serve me well and help me tailor my training, and perhaps pace myself in races. Part of me also wonders if the constant number-crunching will pi$$ me off and will I lose the enjoyment of going out and riding with mates, for example?
All opinions and advice very welcome.
-- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    phil s wrote:
    What I find frustrating about my training is that even with my training history recorded I can't truly quantify actual improvements. I know that I feel stronger now than I did two years ago but I have no specific measure for this. Therefore, it seems a bit like guesswork.
    If this how you feel then a powermeter will probably be a good thing for you. Some of us like keeping that element of guesswork, in the belief that there is as much art as science to being a good cyclist. Also the vast majority of amateur cyclists don't need to measure everything exactly in order to make a great deal of progress. Others prefer hard data - lots of it. Each to their own. You sound like you might enjoy having a powermeter.

Ruth
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    I find mine invaluable, but then I need to measure really short efforts....

My 2p is that you will find it useful to track, measure and rate your medium length efforts, but that one of the biggest benefits (with appropriate software) is tracking your long-term training load using TSS and CTL for example, and therefore hopefully avoiding over-cooking the training and blowing up mid season, and equally (hopefully) training hard enough so that you progress in a measurable way through the season.
    S.
    www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    There's a blog here http://andrewbye.blogspot.com/ from a racer (who I also think posts here?).

May be useful as he has just got a power meter and will be interesting to see how he finds it.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Is it a power meter or coaching (or both) that you need?

No - I'm not scouting for business ;)

IOW - if you just do what you've always done, then the results won't change but at least you'll have some solid data to assess why.

Training (& racing) with power is a new paradigm, hence a PM in the hands of someone not prepared to learn how to use it to at least some of its potential (or engage someone to help with that) won't be of much more value than a fancy cylo-computer.

Fortunately there is a wealth of information available on the topic, if you are prepared to take the time to absorb it. Otherwise, get some assitance. Or choose to keep doing what you're doing.
  • mate id go for one. but get an srm as you can swap wheels about for races etc. and get a dura ace chain set as you can easlily switch it from bike to bike fro tts etc. but a coach would also be a very good shout although i cant remember if you have one or not?
    tikka
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • phil s
    An SRM is out of the question for me, due to cost. Truth is I think I can reach my objectives without a powermeter but I lead a busy life and maybe I'd do what I want to do more efficiently with a PT. I have a coach at the mo, and I'm very pleased with what he's done for me, but I do wonder if this next step would make a big difference.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Can't Auntie Beeb help out with the costs? :wink:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • phil s
    I wish :cry:
    All my cycling work for them is a labour of love
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    phil s wrote:
    Hi, this is a question aimed primarily at those guys who've used some kind of powermeter for their training, I'd like to hear your experiences of whether you've found it helpful or got fed up with it.
    I'm a Cat 2 racer, been comfortable in that category for three seasons without actually racing loads - I always do enough to keep my Cat 2 status. This season, though, I'm racing a lot more and looking to step up to Cat 1, and have some specific objectives.
    I currently train with a heart rate monitor, although for short, hard intervals I use perceived exertion, i.e. as hard as I can go at the time. What I find frustrating about my training is that even with my training history recorded I can't truly quantify actual improvements. I know that I feel stronger now than I did two years ago but I have no specific measure for this. Therefore, it seems a bit like guesswork.
    Now, I'm seriously tempted to get a Powertap but part of me wonders if the novelty of having a new toy will wear off after a couple of months or if it will really be the kind of training aid that will serve me well and help me tailor my training, and perhaps pace myself in races. Part of me also wonders if the constant number-crunching will pi$$ me off and will I lose the enjoyment of going out and riding with mates, for example?
    All opinions and advice very welcome.
    You know it makes sense and if you're coach is familiar with powermeters all the better. Check this http://www.physfarm.com/newsite1/index. ... &Itemid=35
  • You could hire a powermeter, see how you get on with it and then if you find it helps you actually get one. If it doesn't then you've only spent a little finding out.
  • phil s
    Thing is, I don't definitely know it makes sense. I am crap when it comes to numbers. Just looking at them gives me a headache, not to mention all the acronyms. I know training by power is the most accurate way, but I also know it is not the only way and there's a heck of a lot more to road racing than science. What is gnawing at me, though, is that I have a lot of demands on my time and if it really helps me focus my training then I may just have to learn all the gobbledygook that goes with power training.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    phil s wrote:
    Thing is, I don't definitely know it makes sense. I am crap when it comes to numbers. Just looking at them gives me a headache, not to mention all the acronyms. I know training by power is the most accurate way, but I also know it is not the only way and there's a heck of a lot more to road racing than science. What is gnawing at me, though, is that I have a lot of demands on my time and if it really helps me focus my training then I may just have to learn all the gobbledygook that goes with power training.
    Phil obviously a power meter won't make you a great racer. You've still got to utilise all the skills you've already acquired. Why don't you discuss the idea with your coach.
  • NJK
    NJK Posts: 194
    phil s wrote:

Powermeters aren't really science as such they just measure what your putting through the pedals. Nothing else can do this. Nothing can measure fitness or prescribe training plans better contrary to what the old school say. Your coach should know about powermeters :wink:
  • phil s
    Yeah, he does. I'll have a chat with him about it. I'm just a) daunted by the numbers - he'll have to tell me everything in f*ckwit language b) scared that if I really get into it I'll become a geek :wink:
  • phil s
    Actually I can see a trend of me putting forward reasons NOT to get a PT when I think deep down I know that I really want one... I think I shall go for it, seeing as I need a new wheelset anyhow. Thanks for the responses guys.
  • dude if you wanna meet up and go for a spin on my 585 with srm then you could see how it all works and even download a file if you like to my cyclingpeaks?
    tikka
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    phil s wrote:
    What is gnawing at me, though, is that I have a lot of demands on my time and if it really helps me focus my training then I may just have to learn all the gobbledygook that goes with power training.
    Firstly, isn't your coach already helping you to focus your training? Does he/she think a powermeter will help you to focus your training better? Does he/she think you're not performing as well as you might because you're not sufficiently focused in your training?

Secondly, haven't you got a coach so that he/she can worry about the gobbledygook and interpreting the numbers, leaving you with just clear instructions about what to actually do?

Ruth
  • phil s - hire one for 6 months. Less than the cost of buying one new and if you get on with it, then you'll have a better idea of whether you want one that is a bbkt type (ergomo), a c/set (SRM) or a rear hub (PT). If you don't get on with it then you won't really have lost much money than if you'd gone and got one new and then ended up selling it 6 months later.
  • Hi Phil,

I'm sure you will enjoy using your powertap wheel.

I;ve been having a good time with mine so far: I think you described the main advantages of it, in that by using it during fitness tests / races you should be able to measure any improvements (or otherwise as the case may be) that you make rather than having to feel for whether things are going in the right direction.

Sure you can get "bogged down" with the numbers but I wouldn't have sleepless nights about it - and it also sounds like you have a coach who you can trust to look at all that stuff for you if you'd really prefer not to know/ not to have to delve too deep. As i'm sure you know, it is not a substitute for hard work and so to continue to improve you will have to continue to try and train and recover harder.

I've found it useful in the few races ive used mine in, both in recording what i've done to look at afterwards but also sometimes in quantifying on the go how much effort im putting in and whether that level is sustainable or not....

The cost is pretty crazy - but at the same time with so few alternatives I imagine this wont change an awful lot in the next few years.
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    I would recommend one. Try renting one to test it out first if you are unsure. :lol:
  • I use a PT and a coach for triathlon. I do very little interpreting of the data as the coach does all that. The biggest benefit for me is that it is like the coach is there with me the whole time so I do my best to complete all intervals and rides as set. If I slack off he can see this on the power file, if I am struggling e.g. power is down and hr is up then he can see this and adjust accordingly.
  • http://georgeschweitzer.blogspot.com/

On the other hand you could just save your money.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    http://georgeschweitzer.blogspot.com/

On the other hand you could just save your money.

Now there's a novel idea. Best advice so far.

Dennis Noward