just over a broken arm is it too late?training prog needed

Hi,

i've had a broken arm for the past 7 weeks and now although on the road to recovery i feel the damge is irreversible, is it too late to start my winter training and does anyone have a programme i can follow as it is my first full season and dont really have a clue where to start.

cheers folks
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Training for what though? When is/was your first planned event or big target? Were you planning to race this season?

If so, then obviously you are not going to be up to speed when the racing gets underway in early March, but no reason why you can't get enough training in to start racing in May. You may think that you'll be left behind as those who start racing in March will be flying by May, which is partly true, although some of those who start in March will also be f*cked by May!
  • well i want to start doing the saturday club runs as right now i'd get dropped in no time, lol and i want to do tt's in may, but generally just get my stamina and base fitness/endurance up cos i feel its pretty poor just now after sitting on my @rse for 3 months which was stupid in the 1st place.
    felix's bike

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I don't think there is any specific training you need to do to ride club runs - just get out on your bike and get some miles in. Gradually build your mileage back up to where you are comfortable doing 60 mile solo rides - don't worry about the speed too much as most club runs are not flat out training rides.

For TT's you're going to want to do some long intervals (the 2 x 20 min sort are ideal preparation for TT). If your first event is May, you will need to do 6-8 weeks of build up with 2 or 3 hard sessions a week.

Main thing is not to panic too much - I broke my collarbone in June and had 9 weeks off the bike completely. With hindsight, this was a bad idea and I wish I'd ridden the turbo while I was off the road, but frankly I was pretty down about the whole thing and couldn't face sitting in the garage. My first ride back in August was hell, but I am back in the swing of things now, although a long way off the form I had this time last year.
  • well i was kinda hoping to get in some good miles this weekend. i'm going to do prob 30 on sat and 35 on sunday with ALOT of climbing in it. is it wise to jump staright back in at the deep end?
    felix's bike