Forum home Road cycling forum Campaign

Online shoppers taking over the supermarket

popettepopette Posts: 2,089
edited February 2008 in Campaign
The Supermarket staff who have to push around the massive trolleys, getting the shopping for the online shoppers - they do my nut in!!! I've twice been bashed in the leg as they dash around trying to shop more quickly than everyone else. They're always blocking up the aisles (especially around bread). Surely it would make more sense to do the online shops before 8am?

:evil:

Posts

  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    popette wrote:
    The Supermarket staff who have to push around the massive trolleys, getting the shopping for the online shoppers - they do my nut in!!! I've twice been bashed in the leg as they dash around trying to shop more quickly than everyone else. They're always blocking up the aisles (especially around bread). Surely it would make more sense to do the online shops before 8am?

    :evil:

    But if the order is not placed before 8am?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    popette wrote:
    The Supermarket staff who have to push around the massive trolleys, getting the shopping for the online shoppers - they do my nut in!!! I've twice been bashed in the leg as they dash around trying to shop more quickly than everyone else. They're always blocking up the aisles (especially around bread). Surely it would make more sense to do the online shops before 8am?

    :evil:

    But if the order is not placed before 8am?

    why don't they do them from the stock room?
  • pneumaticpneumatic Posts: 1,989
    We don't have that problem, because our branch of Tescopoly (2 miles away) doesn't do online deliveries; they come from 40 miles away, instead.

    Mind you, that's probably just as well, because our branch is 90 percent [email protected] There are 10 aisles: 1 "fresh" fruit and veg, 1 factory dough-based products (mislabelled bread), 1 dairy gloops encased in plastic, 1 dog, cat and detergents, 1 tins and bottles and 5 aisles of things made of refined sugars and salt (cake, biscuits, cereals, crisps, sweets, fizzy drinks (a whole bloody aisle of them!) and booze)

    don't get me started on the Easter Egg display, nor the fact that they use my clubcard as the primary criterion for discontinuing all the things that I like!

    grrrrrrrrrr hmppppppphhhhh


    Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited January 2008
    It's just laziness people doing the food shopping online. I don't have a car, go out to work at 7am get back after 6pm every weekday, and still manage to do my own (food) shopping. However nearly everything I buy comes off the net (bike bits, 360 games, DVDs, and so on) but that's because of the price.

    Lazy B*stards
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    It's just laziness people doing the shopping online. I don't have a car, go out to work at 7am get back after 6pm every weekday, and still manage to do my own (food) shopping. However nearly everything I buy comes off the net (bike bits, 360 games, DVDs, and so on) but that's because of the price.

    Lazy B*stards


    you are lazy and I claim my £5 reward
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    spen666 wrote:
    It's just laziness people doing the food shopping online. I don't have a car, go out to work at 7am get back after 6pm every weekday, and still manage to do my own (food) shopping. However nearly everything I buy comes off the net (bike bits, 360 games, DVDs, and so on) but that's because of the price.

    Lazy B*stards


    you are lazy and I claim my £5 reward

    Food shopping, not other stuff.
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • popettepopette Posts: 2,089
    I don't mind people shopping online, I just wish the people gathering their orders would be a bit more polite and stop bashing my bloody ankles!! It seems as though they're under a tremendous time pressure to get their order completed because they are so rude and inconsiderate to the shoppers who actually turn up at the store. Shopping with a 2yr old and 1yr old is hard enough without the shop workers giving you a dig on your way round.
    Arrgh , they make me mad.
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    spen666 wrote:
    popette wrote:
    The Supermarket staff who have to push around the massive trolleys, getting the shopping for the online shoppers - they do my nut in!!! I've twice been bashed in the leg as they dash around trying to shop more quickly than everyone else. They're always blocking up the aisles (especially around bread). Surely it would make more sense to do the online shops before 8am?

    :evil:

    But if the order is not placed before 8am?

    why don't they do them from the stock room?

    But the stock room has all the stuff with the long date on them, no point selling stuff that has a longer shelf life than the stuff that is out there that will possibly end up in the staff discount fridge followed by the bin.
    Do Nellyphants count?

    Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

    +1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Mog UkMog Uk Posts: 964
    popette wrote:
    Shopping with a 2yr old and 1yr old is hard enough without the shop workers giving you a dig on your way round.
    Arrgh , they make me mad.

    Do your shopping online then.. Problem solved... :wink:
  • surely that's an over-ordering problem? most supermarkets get deliveries up tp 4 times per week so there should be a reasonably fast turnover of stock if the orders are correct. it shouldn't make much of a difference.*





    *everything i've said could be wrong.
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    surely that's an over-ordering problem? most supermarkets get deliveries up tp 4 times per week so there should be a reasonably fast turnover of stock if the orders are correct. it shouldn't make much of a difference.*

    *everything I've said could be wrong.

    Fast Perishables like Milk, Cakes, Bread, Fruit, Veg need to be kept in short stock and replenished regulalry. (short stock being just enough to meet demand with minimal waste)

    Chances are there is none of these behind the scenes, particularly as mum often has to stop at the spar in newport because Tescos didn't have any Wisemans "The One" left.

    Longer shelf life stuff can be bought in less regularly, How quick does a shelf of UHT milk (all ways about a 4x10 shelf of the stuff in Dundee Riverside) Nesquick, Horlicks etc shift?

    Even with these there won't be a huge amount sitting behind the scenes unless it is a fast shifting item like oven chips or ice cream.

    Barcoding and EPOS allows the stores to know when x amount of brand y chips are left in the freezer and rush out with more, when it drops below another level they add it to the list to be delivered in the next delivery.

    Also why have lots of items available for internet shopping behidn the scenes when it can all remain as staff and stock rooms and use the shelves out front for collecting items from the open pallets/packages. Also, if you only have 1 shelf where items are you only need to restock that one when the barcode system says that shelf stock is low.
    Do Nellyphants count?

    Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

    +1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • You could always shop at Sainsburys as they pick and deliver the online shopping stuff from the depot and not the shop.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    You could always shop at Sainsburys as they pick and deliver the online shopping stuff from the depot and not the shop.

    not at my local one- they do it from the store
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • ParkeyParkey Posts: 303
    popette wrote:
    The Supermarket staff who have to push around the massive trolleys, getting the shopping for the online shoppers - they do my nut in!!! I've twice been bashed in the leg as they dash around trying to shop more quickly than everyone else. They're always blocking up the aisles (especially around bread). Surely it would make more sense to do the online shops before 8am?

    :evil:

    presumably if your leg isn't available they bash your arm instead as an "alternative injury"? :P
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • It's just laziness people doing the food shopping online. I don't have a car, go out to work at 7am get back after 6pm every weekday, and still manage to do my own (food) shopping. However nearly everything I buy comes off the net (bike bits, 360 games, DVDs, and so on) but that's because of the price.

    Lazy B*stards

    So I'm lazy? Not wanting to get too defensive, but I'm pissed off at such a self-rictus comment. I don't drive either. There is only so much you can fit in a rucksack. Frankly, with my weird shifts, going to Tesco weekly and also th local shops wastes a lot of time and I save money too. Somehow it seems to go on cycling though :D

    Rant over.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

    10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited February 2008
    .....
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    So I'm lazy?

    It's all stereotyping. Not everyone will meet the stereotype.

    If you're waiting in for them to deliver when you could be there yourself? You're different from most of the people using the system, in the end you're on a cyclist forum, so you can't be that lazy.

    You haven't got a car, so that's fair enough, but most people in this country are lazy, most people have a car, but some still order their shopping online.

    Most (but not all) of the people who will order the shopping will probably do things like drive 800yds instead of walking.
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    So I'm lazy?

    It's all stereotyping. Not everyone will meet the stereotype.

    If you're waiting in for them to deliver when you could be there yourself? You're different from most of the people using the system, in the end you're on a cyclist forum, so you can't be that lazy.

    You haven't got a car, so that's fair enough, but most people in this country are lazy, most people have a car, but some still order their shopping online.

    Most (but not all) of the people who will order the shopping will probably do things like drive 800yds instead of walking.

    Perghaps it better for the environment that a van drives the 2 miles from supermarket to my home, then delivers to 4 of my neghbours as well. Total distance travelled 4 miles ( return trip)

    If we all drove to the supermarket that would be 20 miles driven

    Rather than being lazy, it COULD be done out of environmental reasons.

    Or what about the fact that if waiting in for delivery, I can be allowing my young kids to do their homework, whereas if I go to supermarket I need to take them as they are too young to be safely left home alone. Lazy? No, a parent considering what is best for their children ( ie doing their homework or spending evening wandering round supermarket)
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • meagainmeagain Posts: 2,331
    Clearly there can surely be GOOD reasons for home delivery - Spen has cited two!

    " it COULD be done out of environmental reasons. "

    ".. I can be allowing my young kids to do their homework, whereas if I go to supermarket I need to take them as they are too young to be safely left home alone. "

    I expect that had there been such a service 20 years ago, herself would have used it when I was working away rather than drag two small kiddies out in the cold and struggle with push chair and shopping.

    Another few years (I shall give up driving when 65) and I expect we will be glad if the local Iceland still does deliveries - we can walk there and fill the trolley, but they will drive it back!

    Come to think of it, in the days BEFORE convenience shopping my mum had our groceries delivered by ....the grocer, the milk and eggs by....the milkman and the (occasional) meat by,,,,the butcher's boy! Environmentally not too bad: the milk float was battery (I spent 5 happy months "driving" one of the "walk in front" ones in my teens) and the butcher's boy had a BIKE!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • If you still go to the supermarket, you are a muppet my friend

    Fat people are so insensitive
  • meagainmeagain Posts: 2,331
    Where else would/should I go, please?

    Feel to free to insult me by the way. But don't simultaneously call me a muppet and friend - sarcasm I can do without.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Well....

    Lets compare the two shall we?

    'Real'

    Have a wee, change nappies
    Put shoes, coat etc. on
    Put kids coats, shoes on
    Find car keys
    change nappy again
    put kids in car
    drive car to supermarket (15-20 mins)
    find space
    get kids out
    get trolley
    push trolley around whole shop length
    keep kids entertained whilst doing so
    watch out for other trolleys, basket users, random stopping, starting etc.
    find checkout with shortest queue
    queue up, wait for others to pay, entertain kids
    discover person in front has forgotten something and will be back in a minute
    take stuff out of trolley, put on conveyor
    pack stuff into plastic bags
    put back in trolley
    pay – wait for it - …. – enter pin… - almost ready…ok take card
    push trolley back to car
    take bags out of trolley and put into car
    take trolley back to trolley park
    back to car
    get kids in car
    drive home (15-20 mins)
    get kids out
    kids shoes off, coats off
    cart shopping in from car
    put away – ice cream is soft

    Total time (ignore put away) 2 hours
    Total cost – £62.50 (shopping £60, Petrol £2.50)
    Stress level – high


    ‘virtual’

    Sit on sofa
    log on
    choose delivery time
    do shopping (25 min with tv on)
    find voucher code
    hit buy button
    wait
    open door
    put away – ice cream is perfect

    Total time (ignore put away) 30 mins
    Total cost – £59 (shopping £60, Delivery £4.99, Discount -£6)
    Stress level – very low


    Now of course, if you also priced my time the argument would be overwhelming.

    Fat people are so insensitive
  • popettepopette Posts: 2,089
    just had a hideous trip with 2 year old lying in the aisles and kicking out whenever I tried to grab him. I was sorely tempted to have a tantrum like the woman on the advert. Your description above makes it seem very attractive. Having seen the speed with which they get the shopping in, I wouldn't expect them to take much care over picking my fruit and veg. Plus, I do quite like going in because 99% of the time I bump into someone I know and we have a bit of a chat. (I'm on extended maternity leave/career break and it can sometimes be dull!!!)

    I saw something quite funny in the car park though - a car in a parent and child parking space, windscreen wipers lifted off the screen and "I DO NOT HAVE A CHILD" written in lipstick on the screen. 8)

    As I said before, no objection to online shoppers it's just the staff who keep bashing me that are getting on my wick.
  • meagainmeagain Posts: 2,331
    Kids do not come into our equation any longer - but I agree that if I had to drive to London to pick up the daughter (or on occasions have her fly home from China) would add to the cost/time. And earlier I did say that in years past might well have been handy!

    No stress whatsoever in a <10 min drive, nor in strolling round the shop with herself (who enjoys it!) and deciding what is best buy/what we feel like eating. And having little else to fill our time, we go pretty much as and when the mood takes us. Or I want to go to one of the other big stores on the same site.

    This does NOT make me a muppet, simply someone who is at a different point on life's curve than you.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Chris_Who wrote:
    Well....

    Lets compare the two shall we?

    'Real'

    Have a wee, change nappies
    Put shoes, coat etc. on
    Put kids coats, shoes on
    Find car keys
    change nappy again
    put kids in car
    drive car to supermarket (15-20 mins)
    find space
    get kids out
    get trolley
    push trolley around whole shop length
    keep kids entertained whilst doing so
    watch out for other trolleys, basket users, random stopping, starting etc.
    find checkout with shortest queue
    queue up, wait for others to pay, entertain kids
    discover person in front has forgotten something and will be back in a minute
    take stuff out of trolley, put on conveyor
    pack stuff into plastic bags
    put back in trolley
    pay – wait for it - …. – enter pin… - almost ready…ok take card
    push trolley back to car
    take bags out of trolley and put into car
    take trolley back to trolley park
    back to car
    get kids in car
    drive home (15-20 mins)
    get kids out
    kids shoes off, coats off
    cart shopping in from car
    put away – ice cream is soft
    Assuming we're talking about a lady shopper, you missed out, "Rummage around in handbag for 5 minutes looking for purse. Rummage around in purse for 5 minutes looking for credit card."*
    *For over 50s replace credit card with exact change.
    :D
  • meagainmeagain Posts: 2,331
    "*For over 50s replace credit card with exact change.""

    Sexist and ageist in one short hit! Very good. Any racist shopping characteristics to add? Or is that a little too risky?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Older people are statistically less likely to use credit cards.
    Women are statistically more likely to carry a handbag and purse.
    I was using observation and exaggeration to do a little mild leg-pulling.
    Lighten up.

    No racism there, nor will there be because it's not funny. I think that your insinuation says more about you than me old man.
  • meagainmeagain Posts: 2,331
    Whatever you say, yoof. I know my place. Just don't stand in it.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • meagain wrote:
    ...having little else to fill our time, we go pretty much as and when the mood takes us.
    ...

    This does NOT make me a muppet, simply someone who is at a different point on life's curve than you.


    Well in your're case you're quite right. You're not a muppet.

    You must be an old git.



    Don't get mad - I'll be an old git too one day and look forward making it count

    Fat people are so insensitive
  • meagainmeagain Posts: 2,331
    I don't get mad, but given a small chance I'll get even.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
Sign In or Register to comment.