Finally Did It

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
Well, after a period of 8 years and almost NO cycling I finally set my target on Marble Arch today.

Now the reason I choose this is that it is 8/9 miles from my house to it so that means a round trip of at least 17 miles. Also I live just off the Edgware Road so it is a nice straight run.

Now I know many of you here would scoff at 17 miles but for an UNFIT coach potato who does no exercise I consider this a good ride.

So i set off at 6.30 this morning and rode at a gentle/steady pace, no heroics and to my amazement it felt quite easy and by 7.20 i had made it to Hyde Park 8)

I rested for about 10/15 minutes and took on more SIS Fluid then headed back. The last 4 miles were a killer, which is not helped by the fact that this section has me riding Northbound up the Edgware Rd from Kilburn through Cricklewood and Colindale.

I finally hit home at 8.20.

Now I will (weather permitting) do this run again next weekend, should I go a bit further or just keep to this distance until my legs can cope with it?

I made sure i drank SIS fluid during my ride and drank a Ltr of SIS recovery when i got home to replenish my body. Overkill maybe but hell if it helps.

Comments

• Good on you - now you must build gradually on this.
    Now you have set yourself some base-lines to use for improving on.
    Initially, stick to this route, and watch/record your times to/from Marble Arch. They should gradually improve.
    Make your target to ride to and from Marble Arch without stopping, and then, having recorded your time, try to try to improve on it.
    By the time you have got this far, you will probably feel the need to get out on your bike for a ride on sunday also.
    Good luck.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Well done mate! keep at it and you'll really be impressed in few months time :D:D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Good effort after such a long lay-off! I'd stick with that distance until you feel like you can go further. Also try using different routes to ensure you don't get bored. Perhaps head for Richmond Park or something, your route sounds like it's prob traffic heavy so somewhere quieter will make for a better ride.

A litre of Rego is prob overkill for 17miles though. I drink half a litre after rides of 20-70 miles and that always seems enough along with a good post ride meal.

Keep up the good work!
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Thanks for your comments

I will try and change my route. I also plane to ad an extra 2/3 miles time as well.

As for traffic i don;t mind it too much and at 6.30 on a saturday and sunday morning it is not too bad.

It's the nazi bus drivers that worry me.