Recovery from a Groin strain.

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
I picked up a groin strain just before christmas, rested it a month, went back on the bike and found that it resurfaced. However it only started to twinge after maybe an hour and a half to an hour and three quarters on the bike.

Went to the doctors who confirmed it was groin strain. He said i'd done too much too soon. Instead of jumping back into 50 mile/two and a half hour rides I should start off at half an hour and build up again. He also prescribed me ibrufen.

I'm gonna take another couple of weeks off and follow his advice, however i'm worried (for some reason) that once I start building up to the amount of time it usually takes to twinge it will hurt again, even if i've built up gradually.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation where they've had to build up again?
Did it work?
Did you do stretches to help in the recovery process?

Sorry for the mass of questions, it's just i've been missing club runs on saturdays and sundays since New Year due to this, and i'm itching to get back on the bike.
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    Best listen to the Doc....and the body... A few additional sacrificial weeks of healing is bound to be better than rushing it and possibly doing more damage :(
    In the meantime: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprains ... strain.htm
    Cajun
  • Thanks for that, i've been performing a few stretches, although I can't tell if it's helping.

I'm going back to the doctors soon to ask to see a physio anyway. Although the Doctor said cycling for short periods and building up should be fine, i've spoke to a local athletics club coach about it and he said complete rest for up to 6 weeks. I've had it just about 6 weeks as it is so another 6 weeks off isn't appealling at all. :cry:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015