Walkers on a bike ride!

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    dave_hill wrote:
    GHill wrote:
    I tried to explain that they were sat on a section of a professional level mountain bike course and that some people may be coming along at speeds in excess of 30 mph, but they were determined that they should have access to this nice picnic spot. After that, I was speechless.

Should have reported them to a ranger or somebody in authority. The next rider might not have been as courteous or in control as you were. If there had been an accident it could have opened up a whole pandora's box.

That's a good point. At the time I did make a mental note to try and tell someone later but by the time I'd finished the route and had a play in the Pace bike park I was so knackered and my bike was so filthy it slipped my mind. I guess some sort of signage indicating that it is an obstacle on a mountain bike course might be in order.
  • Dog walkers on my local trail really get me worked up.

The trails are clearly signed as mountain bike trails yet still you get hordes of idiots tramping all over the place. 99% of the time they're walking in the wrong direction.

Recent encounters include a double switchback downhill that leads into a blind corner. Took it at some speed only to encounter two idiots and their dog standing stationery on the trail facing me. i slammed on the brakes and very politely and calmly told them to be careful as they were on bike trails, not footpaths and that several fast riders were coming down.

They had the cheek to grumble and complain as they walked off :roll:

There's a consistent offender. A fat old snooty cow with little yappy dogs. Several times she's nearly caused me to crash and she takes great pleasure in telling me that she used the trails long before they were used for cycling and her hatred stems from the fact a cyclist "deliberately" killed one of her dogs :lol:

Personally, as both a dog owner and cyclist, I'd never take my dog near a trail for the fear that the wee man would be injured.

I'm planning to contact the local council to see if they would erect signs instructing walkers not to enter for their own safety as the trail signs aren't enough. I doubt I'll have much luck though...
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Dog walkers on my local trail really get me worked up.

The trails are clearly signed as mountain bike trails yet still you get hordes of idiots tramping all over the place. 99% of the time they're walking in the wrong direction.

Recent encounters include a double switchback downhill that leads into a blind corner. Took it at some speed only to encounter two idiots and their dog standing stationery on the trail facing me. i slammed on the brakes and very politely and calmly told them to be careful as they were on bike trails, not footpaths and that several fast riders were coming down.

They had the cheek to grumble and complain as they walked off :roll:

There's a consistent offender. A fat old snooty cow with little yappy dogs. Several times she's nearly caused me to crash and she takes great pleasure in telling me that she used the trails long before they were used for cycling and her hatred stems from the fact a cyclist "deliberately" killed one of her dogs :lol:

Personally, as both a dog owner and cyclist, I'd never take my dog near a trail for the fear that the wee man would be injured.

I'm planning to contact the local council to see if they would erect signs instructing walkers not to enter for their own safety as the trail signs aren't enough. I doubt I'll have much luck though...

She would be liable for any injury caused to a cyclist by her dogs on the trail - same as if a dog is hit by a car - the dog's owner is liable for car damage not the car's owner for dog damage! I'd point this out to her.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I had a bit of this last Sunday afternoon when riding round the fire road in Delamere forest as a little jaunt to increase my fitness and try & stay out of the mud :wink:

Now being Sunday afternoon it was obviously busy but why do so many people look totally confused as to which way to move whe you're riding towards them? I mean if I'm approaching on the walkers right and there is plenty of room to their left why move to the right and rag the family/dogs with them forcing a sudden and apparently frowned upon rapid change of direction :?:

And then there are the people who while walking as a family/group decide the best way is to spread out as far as possible and cover the whole track, eh :?

I was of course courteous and slowed down for everyone, and even managed a few hellos and good afternoons, some of which were returned :D
  • clas wrote:
    punch em in the mouth and then ride off
    works a treat
    I have only once had hassle from walkers whilst out riding.
    woman complaining about why wasnt I riding on a road when I stopped, informed her I was on a bridleway and explained my rights of way and hers. she was an elderly woman and to my surprise gobbed off like a glasgow welder. I told her to fack off and gave her dog a good kick to add balance.
    sadly some peoples mind cant be changed without an axe.

You're ace! No, seriously! :D
    Cannondale Prophet MX
  • I just yell Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go in a straight line through the middle and it dosen't make a difference if they move
    my suspension blocks outh the bumps of running them over, thats what it meant for.

Thats the way! :lol:
    Cannondale Prophet MX
  • Douche wrote:
    Dude you're not becoming a roadie - you're just growing up! It happens to everyone eventually. Hurts a little at first but you get used to it

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't start me on roadies! Are we allowed to voice our opinions on these...............earthlings?! I have a theory but I fear I may be cast into Bike radar oblivion if I speak my mind! :evil:
    Cannondale Prophet MX
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    I'll be honest,i drive about 40,000 miles a year lots of which is in london but its the tosser roadies (not all of them but most in my experience) that give us off roaders a bad name, people have issues with cyclists when in a car so automatically assume we are all tossers when seen off road.
    Chances are if they had no had bad experiences while driving then all they would remember is the polite "excuse me" that they usually hear on the trails and think of us in a better light!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    So our only course of action is clear,

we must kill

all

roadies :wink:

Or more easily, everyone who doesn't love their bike...
  • a few complaints to make when crossing on foot as the bike was ill i pressed the buttton crossed on the green man and it was not a rodie who pissed me of it was a MTB rider on a XC race bike (tyres were narrow enough for a rodie anyway) whent flying through the red light and called me a f*****g w*nk*r for being on the road!!! he was treat with the west end hand shake and "its a f****G crossing you pleb" it upsets me that i would be arguing with another mountain rider

aswell a man tried to wack me with a stick for riding down a trail to fast fair enough except he was walking UP a DOWNHILL trail.

trying to ride down a pavment and a group of suit clad offince boys were refusing to move and geering at my requests for room on the path i had to listen to the posh boy tell his friends for 5mins about his new bag! i found a good trick i haoped about trials style behing them for a while then lowered my front weell to buzz the new bag hahahaha it made my day
    stephen hall
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    If anyone puts a stick in your spokes
    if anyone whacks you with a stick
    if anyone does any action that could resonably be expected to lead to physical harm or distress.

that is most definitely assault. hitting with a stick is assault by beating.

call the police, very calmly and clearly explain your problem. dont play hard man dont say it didnt hurt dont say you were not scared.
    It DID hurt You were scared when this apparently out of control old guy attacked you with a weapon
    at the least he may well get himself arrested.
    at best he may be nicked and fined. At the perfect he might get nicked, fined AND have to pay you fifty quid compensation!
    play the game by the big boys rules and give the old scroat a criminal record.

Sadly I can rarely supress my violent streak that I have kept under control for the last 46 years. take his stick off him ride off a few yards hurl it into the woods.
    Shout "fetch" and ride off.
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • clas
    oh and if they put a stick in your wheel then that is criminal damage( like vandalism).
    if it wrecks the wheel then that is criminal damage to the cost of the wheel. and Bike wheels are getting raaather expensive...
    Dont sy you can salvage the hub... no you cant (well not that he knows about it)
  • strodey wrote:
    I'll be honest,i drive about 40,000 miles a year lots of which is in london but its the tosser roadies (not all of them but most in my experience) that give us off roaders a bad name, people have issues with cyclists when in a car so automatically assume we are all tossers when seen off road.
    Chances are if they had no had bad experiences while driving then all they would remember is the polite "excuse me" that they usually hear on the trails and think of us in a better light!

Right, if we are talking about roadies then I'll begin! I have never had a decent experience with these people. I alway acknowledge anyone on a bike and have very rarely been acknowledged in return by a roadie. The other day I was coming home from a ride and had to travel on the road for about a mile before reaching my house. On the other side of the road was a horserider and a roadie about to overtake. As he passed he nodded hello to the horesride and she replied with a similar hello! As the roadie neared me I said a cheery hello and the fool completely ignored me!! The horse rider looked at me puzzled as to why he ignored me (a cyclist) but acknowledged a horserider! I must restrain myself but what a Tw@!! What the F#%k is that all about?! Relax dudes, we're all in the same boat (CYCLISTS!) Live with it and we'll all get along!
    Cannondale Prophet MX
  • I agree its not right to ignore other bikers. I'm always surprised how often people don't say hello when cycling pass on some trail or lane. I find its often people who have purchased expensive bikes just because biking is currently trendy - they are different to cyclists.
  • Check out the forum on here which is titled "snotty roadies". They really have a problem with us don't they! I am waiting for a barrage of abuse in reply to the comment I posted! Help!! :twisted:
    Cannondale Prophet MX
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    thewaddys wrote:
    Check out the forum on here which is titled "snotty roadies". They really have a problem with us don't they! I am waiting for a barrage of abuse in reply to the comment I posted! Help!! :twisted:

OK.... I'm playing too :wink:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Nice! :wink:
    Cannondale Prophet MX
  • They bit!...nice stinky bait :lol:

They always bite, they don't get much to eat!
    Cannondale Prophet MX
  • cjw
    thewaddys wrote:
    They bit!...nice stinky bait :lol:

They always bite, they don't get much to eat!

LMAO :lol:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • I was on my own about 1 mile away from my house and I was on the road coming home from a local trail an this old couple about 60 years maybe were infront of me and going slow and i decided to over take them as it was a long wide bend that has no trees or hedge so you can see if there is anything coming and i was doing about doubl their speed and the old man shouted 'Slow down you young b*stard!' I looked around and he was swearing at me.

I don't like the fact that all older people from around 35 years plus think that all 14 year olds are chavs or people. I just hate people think that I would cause trouble and I did nothing wrong so I just carried on cycling.
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • He shouldn't have had a go at you. You get the odd grumpy git, not everyone over 35 is like this.
  • cjw
    No we're not. It's just a fact of life, and probably nothing to do with them being older. He would have been a miserable grumpy git at 15, 25, 35, etc.... Probably getting grumpier and gittier as he gets older though through jealosy of you young wipper-snappers having years of fun and fitness ahead of you.... whereas as he's getting closer to the grave, and with that attitide no doubt blood pressure will speed him on his merry way :twisted:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I don't like the fact that all older people from around 35 years plus think that all 14 year olds are chavs or people. I just hate people think that I would cause trouble and I did nothing wrong so I just carried on cycling.

Oi! I take exception to that - I'm 36 and I am far from old. I reckon that "if it's too fast or too loud, you're too old". I haven't got to that stage yet.

But like everything else it's the few bad apples that spoil the barrel. I know a lot of sub-18 year olds who would benefit from a good crack, but I also know a larger number who are the complete opposite.

Fortunately for you I'm not so narrow minded that I judge everyone by the actions of one or two others (except BMW drivers, lawyers and roadies. But they don't count as people anyway). I try to judge everyone on their own merits.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Generally I hate everyone I don't know...
  • clas
    I just hate everyone........... :evil:
  • dave_hill wrote:
    (except BMW drivers, lawyers and roadies. But they don't count as people anyway). I try to judge everyone on their own merits.

Whoa there buddy... bit harsh. :lol: Well, except the BMW drivers and cyclists who run lights on pedestrian crossings - I'll give you those. (Lay off the lawyers though :wink: )
  • cjw
    dave_hill wrote:
    (Lay off the lawyers though :wink: )

Q: How can you tell when a lawyer is lying?
    A: His lips move

Q: What is the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead lawyer in the road?
    A: There are skid marks in front of the dog.

Q: What do you call a lawyer with an I. Q. of 50?
    A: Your honour.

Q: Why won't sharks attack lawyers?
    A: Professional courtesy.

Q: When lawyers die, why are they buried in a hole 24 feet deep?
    A: Because deep down, they are all nice guys

Q: What is the difference between a lawyer and a bucket of crap?
    A: a bucket

Q: What is the difference between God and a lawyer?
    A: God doesn't think he's a lawyer.

Q: What does a lawyer and a sperm have in common?
    A: Both have about a one in 3 million chance of becoming a human being.

Q: What is the difference between a lawyer and a gigolo?
    A: A gigolo only screws one person at a time.

Q: What do lawyers use as contraceptives?
    A: Their personalities.

:wink::lol:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • ^^ :lol::lol:

What can I say - it's a tough gig
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    clas wrote:
    I just hate everyone........... :evil: