Walkers on a bike ride!

JayKingFunk
JayKingFunk Posts: 411
edited January 2008 in MTB general
What does everyone else do when there out riding and you come across people walking or dogs in your way?!

My method is usually to try and make some kind of noise by clicking the gears etc. to alert the people in front that I'm coming then slow down as little as possible and shout cheers as i pass them!

Most people are considerate and smile but occasionally a few of em look really shocked/scared and annoyed at you!! I know this might seem a little in polite but who wants to slow down??!!!

As of yet i haven't had to remove dog fur or human flesh from my wheels! Anyone else?!!
I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Both my bikes have pro II hubs, if walkers don't hear that then i'll just dart round the side of them. I for some reason get a childish thrill when annoying walkers.
  • Schmako wrote:
    Both my bikes have pro II hubs, if walkers don't hear that then i'll just dart round the side of them. I for some reason get a childish thrill when annoying walkers.

lol - they can normally hear me a mile off - one good thing about that distinctive ratchet sound on the Pro IIs :lol:
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    Always slow for walkers especially if they've got dogs - the furry ones don't train their animals very well!
    If they don't hear the obvious noises (squeaky brakes, clicking gears, out of breath panting) then will say 'excuse me, please' and push past as politely as possible - if they are being deliberately obstructive then will push past as best I can!
    I never look for a confrontation but if it happens then I ain't gonna back down!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • ha! i get a thrill out of going past them really fast as the mud n water from my tyres sprays up and covers them!

It does make it a bit awkward on the slow climb back up though when they recognize that your the scum who has just tarnished their fancy new regatta outdoor coat that they bought last year in the dales at a real good price!
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Of course, you're talking about walkers on RUPP's, Bridleways and Byways and not on Footpaths aren't you ?! :wink:

A cheery "mornin' " or similar can do wonders for public relations as well as warning of your presence :)

We came across three chaps decoying pigeons last Sunday, despite the fact that we'd obviously spoilt their sport, the cheery greetings went a long way to placate them (I think!) :?
  • I've always gone for "passing on your left" or Passing on your right" as I approach. Works most of the time, but you always get a few who hear the word "left" or "right" and turn in that direction, stepping into your path!! :roll:
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I slow down to a walking pace and ring my bell.

A cheery "g'morning", followed by a big "thank you" and I'm happily on my way, knowing I have not upset anyone.

:twisted:

Of course, sometimes I come across walker a little too quickly.
    Locking up the back gets the attention of the dog, who's barking alerts the owner. Accelerate quickly shouting "ta luv!" and you should be able to avoid the dog snapping at your heels and the abuse of the owner.

:wink:

Remember: That walker will remember you when he/she passes you lying on the deck after a particularly nasty fall.
    Pleasentaries cost nothing.

8)
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Yes must admit, i've got the crc bell! The pool "8" ball type...diddn't really want one, but they hear it from a distance, so i don't have to slow down(much).

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1695431/
  • Douche
    Douche Posts: 134
    From behind i'll approach and say 'Excuse me!!!', if no response i'll then shout 'Excuse me!!" if that dont work i normally get really pissed off and accelerate hard n fast and 'blip' past them at warp factor with only a few inches to spare ... The worst mothers are when riding down a road and someone crosses without looking or taking notice, these get extra fast 'blips' with an additional 'you f*cking wanker' shouted in their ear as i sail past ... not mature or PC but it placates me.
    I found it hard, its was hard to find, oh well whatever nevermind.

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
    Cane Creek Grips/Ergo Ends
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Douche wrote:
    ... someone crosses without looking or taking notice, these get extra fast 'blips' with an additional 'you f*cking wanker' shouted in their ear as i sail past ... not mature or PC but it placates me.

I wonder why cyclists have a bad name :roll:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Douche
    erm ...excuse me ... anyone that crosses the road in front of me deserves it and more, they're just bloody lu8cky im not a car other it wouldnt just be obscenitys they received it would be death

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    this'll look cool on my bike right?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=14688

seriously though i need to get a bell for days when my brakes ar'nt squeeling and i can't use my hub noise as it's silent, "you scared the life out of me!" was quite funny at first but probably not too good for cyclist-walker harmony heh.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Douche wrote:
    From behind i'll approach and say 'Excuse me!!!', if no response i'll then shout 'Excuse me!!" if that dont work i normally get really pissed off and accelerate hard n fast and 'blip' past them at warp factor with only a few inches to spare ... The worst mothers are when riding down a road and someone crosses without looking or taking notice, these get extra fast 'blips' with an additional 'you f*cking wanker' shouted in their ear as i sail past ... not mature or PC but it placates me.

Great, you carry on in that vein while the rest of us do the right thing.

Like it or not, we have to give way to everyone else on bridleways (it goes without saying that you shouldn't be on footpaths).

The etiquette is this...

If you are approaching walkers or horseriders head on, slow right down to walking pace and be prepared to stop. It pays to stop with horses anyway as there is absolutely no way of telling how they will react (plus I have a bit of a thing about horsey girls so it give me a chance to letch a bit :twisted: ). Always greet the other party with a big smile, and a good morning/good afternoon/thank you, as appropriate. If you get no response don't let it get to you, just put it down to the fact that they are completely ignorant, and ride on. Don't let it spoil your day.

If you are approaching them from behind, call out a clear and pleasant greeting IN PLENTY OF TIME. I find "Bike Behind!" about 50 yards away works wonders. Again, slow down and with horses be ready to stop - horses don't like being approached from behind and may spook. Pass walkers slowly and steadily and again, multiple "thanks!" and big smiles. With horses, make sure that the rider has his/her animal under control before attempting to pass and/or wait until they give you the all clear. Be aware that young animals and certain types of horse are far more unpredicatable than others.

If you approach a big group of walkers from behind (or even in front) they are very often like rabbits caught in the headlights - they don't know what to do or how to react. Many are in their own little world and may take a while to react to their presence. Again, slow down, be courteous and BE PATIENT.

We as riders are ambassadors for our sport. We do NOT own the trails and we must NOT rise to provocation, whether intentional or otherwise. Don't let it spoil your day, and above all don't get involved in arguments. Just shake your head, swallow your pride and ride away...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A shouted 'Excuse Me' from 30 foot gives them time to decide which side to move and me time to slow down if neccessary, and a 'thank you' as I ride past.

Schoolkids on the Bristol to Bath cyclepath are totally different, politeness is wasted on them. Years ago I rode form Lawrence Hill to Fishponds, after the first 2 days with the kids blocking the full width of the path I learned that a water bottle in your hand worked wonders :lol: , just the threat was enough. More recently I had to stop as the ignorant bas***ds didn't want to move, asked 3 or 4 times yet still they stood their ground, they even took the p*** of my polite requests.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    punch em in the mouth and then ride off
    works a treat
    I have only once had hassle from walkers whilst out riding.
    woman complaining about why wasnt I riding on a road when I stopped, informed her I was on a bridleway and explained my rights of way and hers. she was an elderly woman and to my surprise gobbed off like a glasgow welder. I told her to fack off and gave her dog a good kick to add balance.
    sadly some peoples mind cant be changed without an axe.
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • Douche
    Theres an obvious assumption that im a disrespectful hooligan, Dave_hill i actually agree and concur with all you write, utmost repect is something that should always be demonstrated, however should there not be a respect back, and if we coming down an established bike trail, not a bridleway or footpath or pavement or any other 'shared' route, then there should be an awareness and respect from those people using the trail, would i walk down the middle of a road and blatantly ignore cars approaching, no i wouldnt. Respect is something that has to shown to be given, ive only ever 'blipped' those that a) demonstrated a clear lack of respect for where they were, b) were fully aware of my approach but chose not to do anything about it..... its like the Honda advert peds hate bikers who hate cars and truckers hate everyone..... Im no angel and there have been times when ive approached too fast and scared soemone unwittiingly, however i have always physcially stopped my bike, looked into there eyes an given a genuine apology ... Im no demon bikerider!!!!!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    clas wrote:
    punch em in the mouth and then ride off
    works a treat
    I have only once had hassle from walkers whilst out riding.
    woman complaining about why wasnt I riding on a road when I stopped, informed her I was on a bridleway and explained my rights of way and hers. she was an elderly woman and to my surprise gobbed off like a glasgow welder. I told her to fack off and gave her dog a good kick to add balance.
    sadly some peoples mind cant be changed without an axe.

Have you ever tried NOT using an axe? I have no problem conversing intlligently and in a decent tone of voice with ANYONE, as a matter of fact, restraint works wonders. But then I'm an American, what the h*ll do I know?

(I am all a shiver waiting for your response. Oh man!!!)
  • What ever happened to air horns, loads of kids had them on their bikes in the 1970's, give a quick blast of the horn when you are about 100 yards away, if they don't move, blast again at 50 yards away, still no movement? Blast it as you get level with them :twisted:
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    The thing is the majority of walkers are complete idiots, who wont bother to acknowledge you/move 2 steps out the way to avoid you or keep their dogs/kids under control. Really annoys me. I've had far too much undeserved grief from folk over the years. Mostly along the lines of 'you aren't allowed to cycle here'. Which is rubbish, we've as much right to the hills as anyone else (in my book).
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Schmako wrote:
    The thing is the majority of walkers are complete idiots, who wont bother to acknowledge you/move 2 steps out the way to avoid you or keep their dogs/kids under control. Really annoys me. I've had far too much undeserved grief from folk over the years. Mostly along the lines of 'you aren't allowed to cycle here'. Which is rubbish, we've as much right to the hills as anyone else (in my book).

With respect mate your book don't count. MTBers have precious little legal access in this country but there are places (like in the lakes) where more access is slowly being granted via permissive bridleways etc and at one point word was that Wales would be increasing cyclists access too. At the same time there is a bunch of ramblers who would love to see even less access for cyclists. If MTBers in general are courteous, safe,enviromentally sound whilst lobbying for more access we may get it. If we behave like louts and make it us vs walkers vs horse riders we will lose cause there's more of them than us.

I've not always been an angel and I've scattered some walkers in the past by blasting through the middle of them but you know what - they're people too, trying to enjoy THEIR day and now I treat them with the respect I would like to recieve back. Most of the time I get that respect back.
  • Anonymous
    Schmako wrote:
    The thing is the majority of walkers are complete idiots

That would be my wife and I and all the other bikers I know who go for walks where we usually ride.

Thank you for that well researched and astute observation. I guess that makes you the consumate authority on trail walkers. I have to look no further, now. I am so thankful. The google of trail knowledge, you are.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Douche wrote:
    Theres an obvious assumption that im a disrespectful hooligan

Given your initial post, is it any wonder that I jumped to that conclusion? I agree with you inasmuch as I would like to give the terminally stupid a good gobbing off and maybe even add a pinch of random and possibly unnecessary ultra-violence.

Trouble is if you do that, you tar us all with the same brush, and those of us who are doing our bit to smooth over the rough patches feel that we are wasting our time.

It might feel good being a smart arse, but in the end it's counter productive and unnecessary. It's like taking the mick out of short people with learning difficulties - it's not big and it's not clever.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Anonymous
    dave_hill wrote:
    Douche wrote:
    Theres an obvious assumption that im a disrespectful hooligan

Given your initial post, is it any wonder that I jumped to that conclusion? I agree with you inasmuch as I would like to give the terminally stupid a good gobbing off and maybe even add a pinch of random and possibly unnecessary ultra-violence.

Trouble is if you do that, you tar us all with the same brush, and those of us who are doing our bit to smooth over the rough patches feel that we are wasting our time.

It might feel good being a smart ars*, but in the end it's counter productive and unnecessary. It's like taking the mick out of short people with learning difficulties - it's not big and it's not clever.

Got my vote. 'Been saying that all along.

The non participant observer will judge all with the record of the worst in all casses. Do we not do the same in considering the motorist?
  • Would love to know the average age of the 'give 'em a gobfull and ride off brigade'. Yeah it's tempting but as you get older you realise you don't achieve much that way.

Never forget that the ramblers are better organised and have the ear of many more influential people than we do. Let's not piss 'em off too much or we'll only be able to ride at trail centres!
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    And remember that the walkers are generally out on the trails to get away from traffic and have a quiet stroll - they are not idiots, simply not expecting 'traffic'. They will not appreciate a bike hairing down the track at them screatching brakes and shouting "outa my f****** way!" Bloody scarry and they will respond in kind :evil:

Just slow down when approaching them (OK it will knock valuable seconds off your run - but c'est la vie) and they will invariable let you pass with a smile (OK not always, but I've seldom had problems).

As said above, piss em off and we WILL loose rights to ride on the trails.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Douche
    As for the age of 'give em a gobful', im 30, my problem is not so much a temper its more you give what you get plus a little bit of interest. I cannot condone the verbal abuse and 'blipping' of people, for me the problem is one where from offence to punishment is usually a matter of seconds... the sad thing is that i treat EVERYONE with curteousy and respect but occasionally that is let down but 'fire in the belly'. Everyon whos noted about being polite and not sodding it up for the rest of us is so bob-on, as cyclist we are often treated as 2nd class and not deserving of respect, problem is that its all too easy to give back what you get without actually considering what would be the more productive course of action. At the end of the day the posting are correct, how do we expect motorist to behave? and how do we react when they dont do as they should or take the law into there hand and blip us .... hmmmmm ... im suddenly having a concience thing here ... ive been blipped inches away by motorists at speed in the past and have taken moderate to huge offence by it (depending on the supposed crime) .... its hard to do as is preached, but overall we should set a standard and not lower ourselves to someone elses .... god i cant beleive ive just said that and actually meant it!!!! ... oh my god ... arrrrrgh!!!!! i think im going through some kind of metamorphasis, please dont let me end up a roadie with a superiority complex!!!!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • Anonymous
    I turned my badge in long ago. As long as I can pedal, I can pedal to and in anyplace where there's no stress. I don't bike to comute, but respect everyone. And if I see someone being foolish, I use the brakes, then the steering wheel to avoid them, then finish with a gas pedal to avoid them further. No stress.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Douche wrote:
    As for the age of 'give em a gobful', im 30, my problem is not so much a temper its more you give what you get plus a little bit of interest. I cannot condone the verbal abuse and 'blipping' of people, for me the problem is one where from offence to punishment is usually a matter of seconds... the sad thing is that i treat EVERYONE with curteousy and respect but occasionally that is let down but 'fire in the belly'. Everyon whos noted about being polite and not sodding it up for the rest of us is so bob-on, as cyclist we are often treated as 2nd class and not deserving of respect, problem is that its all too easy to give back what you get without actually considering what would be the more productive course of action. At the end of the day the posting are correct, how do we expect motorist to behave? and how do we react when they dont do as they should or take the law into there hand and blip us .... hmmmmm ... im suddenly having a concience thing here ... ive been blipped inches away by motorists at speed in the past and have taken moderate to huge offence by it (depending on the supposed crime) .... its hard to do as is preached, but overall we should set a standard and not lower ourselves to someone elses .... god i cant beleive ive just said that and actually meant it!!!! ... oh my god ... arrrrrgh!!!!! i think im going through some kind of metamorphasis, please dont let me end up a roadie with a superiority complex!!!!!

Dude you're not becoming a roadie - you're just growing up! It happens to everyone eventually. Hurts a little at first but you get used to it ;-)
  • Douche
    Dude you're not becoming a roadie - you're just growing up! It happens to everyone eventually. Hurts a little at first but you get used to it

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • gpjones
    gpjones Posts: 33
    When i'm behind someone I will slow down then say excuse me. If a walker then gives me a gobfull with "you shouldnt be on here" or "you nearly killed me", i'll just cycle on. I generally try to be polite as I ride a lot on my own "one day they could save your life".

Confrontation often ruins my ride, e.g. argument with motorist or walker. I try to avoid them as much as possible! That is why I prefer driving to trail centres most have no walkers to have a go at and no cars to get hit by or ride in to.