Strong on Turbo, Rubbish on road!

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
Hello,

Don't know if anyone else feels this way or can give any pointers.

When on turbo feel strong doing a 60 min Interval session DVD 2 - 3 times a week at moment. When I go out after about 10 miles i feel cream crackered.

I really do notice the difference out on the road, am i doing anything wrong? :cry:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm not amazingly hot on technique, but it could be that youre a bit stiff. Trainers dont give you any reason to loosen up or get the hips or a decent rhythm moving. Try mountain biking and youll see what I mean. You cant possibly do that without being a bit fluid. Also on a much more basic level, if youre roads are as crap as the ones near me, im not surprised
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Not entirely surprised, turbo is good for general fitness and technique, however it can't take into account the terrain, weather, potholes, swerving etc etc that you will encounter when out on the road etc etc...

I used to be the same when running, could run for hours on the treadmill, first time on the road I lasted 10minutes before my legs/lungs were shot....
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    hothead wrote:

I really do notice the difference out on the road, am i doing anything wrong? :cry:

No - 10 miles is still a bit of distance when your on the road.
    Wind resistance can at times be awful when riding on the road (can substantially increase the effort required) - the variability of wind speed & direction can also cause problems.
    Road surface can play a big part in the ease with which you move over the ground - on smooth flat surfaced roads you might find you can average 20-22 mph for a good few miles on the flat - if the road surface is poor you might find you're banging up and down at 15-16 mph.
    IN addition, there are a whole host of other factors which make road-riding considerably more challenging than indoor riding.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Up to 80% of your energies on the road can be consumed overcoming wind resistance - so trying to maintain the same speed on the road as the turbo is going to overload you pretty quickly. There was a TV programme a while back where they tried to train a bloke to ride the RAAM, who did most of his training on a turbo - he was completely useless on the road, couldn't climb for toffee and kept falling off - a danger to himself and others. Use the turbo to compliment your road riding - IMO turbo can't replace the feel, effort or motor-skills development of riding on the road.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    It's generally colder outside, which knocks the edge off you too.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Boywilson
    Boywilson Posts: 304
    If you look at power files from road and turbo sessions you will see that because of the resistance is constantly changing ( gravity, wind ect) the power is much more varied than on the turbo where it is possible to ride with very little variation in power due to the only resistance being that exerted by the turbo which is constant. Prehaps you are training yourself to produce power in this constant fashion and detraining the variable aspect?
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    hothead wrote:
    Hello,

When on turbo feel strong doing a 60 min Interval session DVD 2 - 3 times a week at moment. When I go out after about 10 miles i feel cream crackered.

1. Hard to tell without a PM or good knowledge of heart rates but is the intensity your putting out on the turbo comparable to what you're doing on the road? EG. If you're doing full on 1-3min efforts then easing off then going again that will be slighlty different from a continual threshold type effort on the road
    2. Are you using the same cadence on road and turbo?
    3. Are you adversely affected by heat or cold?
    4. With all due respect, In terms of effort what your doing on the turbo will be compromised by heat, lack of water, monotony, lack of road feel, motivation, heart rate drift etc.
    5. You haven't fully recovered from your turbo efforts
    6. Unknowing you're pushing things much harder on the road
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    hothead wrote:
    Hello,

Blimey :shock: Perhaps you should look at this posting:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12555884

It's the exact opposite :?