snotty roadies

Comments

• bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    In mallorca at the moment. Shimano team with support vehicle passed on the other side of the road on monday and they acknowledged me so you never know. And I was riding a 20yr old raleigh with saddlebag.

Jim
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I don't care what they're riding, if they're decked out in suitable cycling kit I'll nod/wave/raise a finger or what have you.

If they’re wearing jeans and a football shirt, they could be on a Pinarello Prince and I'd not bat an eyelid - I'd just think they’d nicked it. :lol:
  • When out on Sunday morning in the pissistant rain I got an acknowledgment from everyone on a bike regardless of what type, make or model. There seemed a heightened sense of comaraderie born out of the fact that we were all as nuts as each other, deliberately riding in the wet when we could be tucked up in bed
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    It's just normal human behaviour. There are in-groups and out-groups in all social situations. You are disproportionately kind and forgiving of people you regard as being in the same group as you; you are disproportionately critical and unforgiving of the people in other groups. This can lead you to be illogically unkind to people who are nearly like you but subtly different (because of the shape of their handlebars, width of their tyres, cut of their clothes etc..) It seems we are quite skilled at identifying what makes an out-group tick and then rubbishing it.

A few people are superhuman (i.e. weird :) ) and manage not to fall into the trap, but most of us are just as tribal as everyone else.

If you are really worried about it, just reflect that to a white van man we are all the same, just irritating self-righteous weirdos in the way!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Lagavulin wrote:
    I don't care what they're riding, if they're decked out in suitable cycling kit I'll nod/wave/raise a finger or what have you.

If they’re wearing jeans and a football shirt, they could be on a Pinarello Prince and I'd not bat an eyelid - I'd just think they’d nicked it. :lol:
    How about non-football t-shirt and combats?

No?

Oh well, I'll probably say "Hi" anyway.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Well i ride a Hybrid so what reaction will i get :?:

Will the roadies smile as they give me the 2 finger salute :shock:
  • I ride an old Road Bike which I have had for 27 years. I am acknowleged by most serious roadies ie. £1000 bikes. MTB riders some do some don't. Most of my rides are on a circular 10 mile route early on a Sunday morning to avoid riding in traffic.
  • Personally I will aknowledge anyone on a bike. If they are on a bike they are not in a car so that deserves encouragement. Yes I get strange looks from some roadies, but surely the point of being out in the open air is that you can look around, enjoy your surroundings and communicate with fellow cyclists.

Do we really have to meet someone before we can say hello? Maybe its just British reserve. Anyone know what happens on the continent?
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • Wow ! I didnt realise how snobby roadies were. I will never ride my MTB on the road again !!!!!
  • Lagavulin
    everogere wrote:
    I will never ride my MTB on the road again !!!!!
    Why not? Sod 'em. I've pretty much given up using my road bike at the minute on the roads around here. Too many smashed bus stop windows that litter the carriageway (I don't know who's responsible for them - local MBC or more likely Balfour frigging Beattie).

I might be tempting fate but while I've had glass rip open Mondo Pro's, GP4000's and GP4000S', I'm yet to suffer a puncture of any kind with 26"x2.10 and so for at least 3 weeks my road bike has been tied to the turbo.

My Hardrock Pro is quite nicely geared. I can lock-out the fork and on roads it'll go along at 20-25mph - providing you can tolerate the road noise at those speeds :lol: - albeit with considerable more effort than the roadie.

Besides, regardless of which bike I'm on, I'd like to think that most cyclists I encounter can tell from my apparel that I'm fairly into my hobby, but if not I won't go home in tears to my mum.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    everogere wrote:
    Wow ! I didnt realise how snobby roadies were. I will never ride my MTB on the road again !!!!!
    Why's that? Is it so important to be acknowledged by rodies that you won't ride on the road if you're not acknowledged by rodies?

Seems a bit childish to me.
  • everogere wrote:
    Wow ! I didnt realise how snobby roadies were. I will never ride my MTB on the road again !!!!!
    Why's that? Is it so important to be acknowledged by rodies that you won't ride on the road if you're not?

Seems a bit childish to me.

Really, PhpBB should have some sort of [sarcasm] tag.

It wouldn't matter what I'd ride this time of year, I'd be snotty--any tips on how to coat cars passing too close without making it look *too* deliberate? :?
  • I currently ride a really cruddy looking cheap MTB and have done so for the past 2 years. I always give a smile and a nod to anyone I see on a bike. I find I get a returned smile and nod 1/2 the time. I get the impression it'd happen less often if I were a guy though.

I'm currently waiting to pick up my shiny new road bike. It'll be interesting to see if I get a response more often.
    In June i'll be cycling 545 miles across America (San Francisco to LA).
    Help me support the San Francisco AIDS Foundation(www.sfaf.org) by sponsering me.
    Donations can be made directly through my ALC homepage www.aidslifecycle.org/1419
    Many Thanks!
  • Have to say there is some truth in all this. I always acknowledge roadies being a roadie myself but I hardly ever bother with mtb riders. Don't know why really, guess it's to do with the fact I can't take mountain bikes seriously I suppose. Never have. Strange but true.

How strange, We "MTB" riders don't take you "Roadies" too seriously either! Get your head out of your ass will you! Would you give a Unicylclist with fat tyres a nod as he is only half an MTB rider?! Jesus wept, chill out!
    Cannondale Prophet MX
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Nope, I can't take roadies seriously either. I mean what's the fun in travelling on roads, full of smog, petrol fumes, bad mannered drivers, boring scenary - same old houses and pavements and blah blah blah... that I get day in day out. 'Static' cycling.... just on the usual road, every now and again you get the odd uphill or downhill to break the tedium. Why on earth would anyone do this for fun.;

Now on a trail..... beautiful scenary, fresh air, no cars, no white van man trying to kill me, varied riding.... can't beat it. 8)
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • I don't nod at anyone....usually too busy gasping for breath and looking where i'm goin with a grip of irin on the bars :lol:...i am an unfit newbie :oops:
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    It wouldn't matter what I'd ride this time of year, I'd be snotty--any tips on how to coat cars passing too close without making it look *too* deliberate?

a key... No too olbvious... ermm stick one of those arm signs on your back that show drivers how much space they should give you, but stick some nice sharp pins on the end of it.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    cjw wrote:
    I mean what's the fun in travelling on roads, full of smog, petrol fumes, bad mannered drivers, boring scenary - same old houses and pavements and blah blah blah... that I get day in day out

My roads are nothing like that. Only the odd house, no pavements, long (not alpine long though) climbs, nice scenery, quiet roads.

I can't see how going through puddles of mud that look the same as the last puddle of mud is interesting.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I ride both road and mountain bikes. I've chatted and met lots of both types of rider and I must say that the roadies are definately the snobbiest. If youre bike is not as well equipped as theirs, its like youre in a different class.
    Mountain bikers however seem to just have a laugh (usually at the person falling offs expense) and its much easier to chat about things other than riding.

But we all know that roads a bit boring. The odd 'above average sized pothole' might be enough to get some people going, but not me thanks. Much more fun doing somehting with a sense of challenge and adventure.
  • Lagavulin
    I can't see how going through puddles of mud that look the same as the last puddle of mud is interesting.
    Can’t agree with that mind but then I do admittedly enjoy both and find they each have their merits.

I spend more and will continue to spend more on road kit than MTB (can't see me spending more than a grand on a XC bike) but I can't see me ever going without at least one bike from each stable.

I find the MTB essential when it’s icy. I've witnessed people go down on ice on roundabouts that has made me wince.

Both last Tuesday and Wednesday I wouldn't have gone out if I didn't have my mountain bike. OK I could've sat on the turbo in front of the TV but instead I got to crash through frozen puddles, tear through mud, jump up/off kerbs etc. Hell, on Wednesday, I even managed to misjudge a corner, crash into a gatepost and winded myself quite badly. What fun!

I'm eagerly looking forward to some nice clean roads though. The mediocre weather combined with the nearby farms, housing developments and Tilcon/Owen Pugh quarry currently have them in a pretty sorry state.
  • If you sat a 'snotty' rodadie on an MTB he would become a 'snotty' MTBer more about the person i think rather tan the bike, If someone does not nod it certainley does not spoil my day. I deal with people everyday and part of my enjoyment of cycling is to get out alone and not give a stuff about anyone for just a few hours, So if they are rude , obnoxiuos or discourteous I don't really care as they haven't really registered with me.
    I will of course respond if nodded to.

I also ride both as it is sometimes a bit of a hassle loading the MTB on the car to get to the trails as I have none that close to me. The road bike is great for those couple of spare hours between looking after the kids etc and I have discovered parts of my surrounding countryside that I have never been to in 36 years of living in the area.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • cjw
    cjw wrote:
    I mean what's the fun in travelling on roads, full of smog, petrol fumes, bad mannered drivers, boring scenary - same old houses and pavements and blah blah blah... that I get day in day out

My roads are nothing like that. Only the odd house, no pavements, long (not alpine long though) climbs, nice scenery, quiet roads.

Sounds almost as good as a MTB route - just, not quite :lol:

As to the mud... hmmmm ..... what mud.....

muddy.gif

Seriously though, it is fun. And we all shower after a ride :D
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    When I'm out I wave to all, people on foot, in gardens and on horses etc and I usually get a reply. Maybe its a countryside/urban thing rather than a Roadie/MTB thing?
  • That's pretty much how my road bike looks after a couple of weeks wet commuting! :lol:

The only people I tend to ignore are POBs on unlit bikes in the dark and hoodies on tiny BMXs - everyone else gets at least a nod unless I've seen them a few times before and know I'm going to get blanked. I find you can't predict the likelihood of someone responding from what they're riding, I get ignored by folk on MTBs and road bikes equally! It's possible though that a lot of the people I see on MTBs aren't MTBers, they've just got one 'cos they're more fashionable than road bikes. :roll:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    cjw wrote:
    Sounds almost as good as a MTB route - just, not quite :lol:

As to the mud... hmmmm ..... what mud.....

Seriously though, it is fun. And we all shower after a ride :D

I'm not against MTBing, I want an MTB, but at the moment I can't get anymore bikes due to space restrictions. I just had the opportunity to buy myself a decent bike, I wanted an MTB but I know it wouldn't get as much use as a road bike.

It's easy with a road bike, you just go out your front door and start "training". I don't live far from Llandegla, but I don't have a car, so I'd be spending over an hour cycling to get there and probably longer getting back.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cjw
    Very good point about distance to trails. I'm lucky(ish) as I've got two reasonable (but not great) trails within a few miles of home. So after about 10 - 20mins I'm on a trail. To go any further does require loading on to a car, which is a bit of a pain! I like Thetford, but it's about 1.5 to 2 hours drive - each way. Ok for a day out.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Well up until today, i had not experienced the "snotty roadie" syndrome whilst i was out, because the weather has been average, so winter cycling gear essential. But today, i was getting some photos taken for my secret mission ( shhhhh more on this later) and was in my shorts. So i thought i would do a couple of hours, as the weather was sunny, warm and wind not so bad.
    I passed a few people who took a double take, probably becasue i looked so good and fast!!! But there were two or three groups of well wrapped up roadies who just did not bat an eyelid.
    DO i care..............nah!!!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    Today - I must have passed 15 roadies, all of them waved or said hello. Only person who didn't say anything was a guy who overtook me on a hill. I was on a hybrid with a rack and pannier.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    cjw wrote:
    Nope, I can't take roadies seriously either. I mean what's the fun in travelling on roads, full of smog, petrol fumes, bad mannered drivers, boring scenary - same old houses and pavements and blah blah blah... that I get day in day out. )

Where the hell do you live? Come and ride the Yorkshire moors, beautiful scenery, friendly people, quite roads and very few intolerant riders.

D :D
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    I've got an MTB I use to get to college. I was offered the use of an old(ish) road bike of my step dads but turned it down. I found the riding position uncomfortable and the brake levers can only be used when you're fully hunkered down over the front - I felt I had very little control!
    Add to that the way I have to ride sometimes. I would have been killed for certain several times over in the last few weeks if I hadn't been able to bunny - hop onto the pavement. With no time to prepare to get out of the way (polish lorry driver forgot he was 50 feet long and 30 feet wide - just one example) the wheels do get crunched into the kerb. I don't reckon that a road bike would be able to take that kind of punishment. Besides, I like to get muddy sometimes!!

As for riding gear - I refuse to wear lycra! I'm far too skinny and have no-where to keep spare clothes or change when I'm at college! Jeans tucked into my socks, decent hiking shoes, light coloured hoodie or rugby shirt with over the shoulder reflective strap, reflective wrist bands and a helmet are my standard clothes. 2 bright led lights on the back, both flashing but alternating. 2 led lights on the front, one flashing and one solid. Am on the hunt for a better front light to add to those two.

Haven't noticed any regulars around yet. Those on bikes I do see are mainly kids with bmx or cheapo full suspension jobs. They don't get any notice from me! The one or two roadies I've seen have given my strange looks - all the stranger when the kid on the mtb keeps up with them for several miles!

As I said I ride mainly on the roads - but if I feel horribly threatened and the pavement is clear then I sometimes hop on - back on the road as soon as there's a gap though. There are two roundabouts in Slough which I don't even attempt on the road. Seen lots of near misses with cars so I just go onto the pavement. I don't push past, dismount if there are lots of people around with a smile and 'cheers!' if someone lets me through.
    I did jump a red light once. It allows a tiny side road onto the A4 with traffic from the right going through a gap in the central reservation. It had been red a while as I came up to it. No-one behind me, no-one coming from the side reoad, no-one coming from the other direction. No pedestrians, one motorbike just being started up a few hundred yeards before the lights. Didn't fancy stopping the momentum for nothing so went through keeping a good look out. Does that make me bad?

If anyone cycling between Maidenhead and Slough sees a 19 year old on an MTB with semi-slicks riding at 25mph, please wave back! I love driving my 1973 MG Midget, but there is a satisfaction I get from cycling that can't be bettered. Equaled, yes - on one of the rare perfect drives, but no bettered.

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.