EG Bates

2»

Comments

• bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    .................no............but I do tend to get a bit carried away. :oops: :roll:
    Peejay pm me a list of what you are looking for .I will see what I have .and not silly prices either.
    bagpuss
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    I agree Peejay but Iike all of them especially the Carltons and Mercians . They are all really nice though and I like the catalogues and ephemera. managed to get access to a computer.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i wasn't being critical. i can't remember what i said now. i like the carltons very much, one went on ebay not so long ago from the leicester cycle workshop for £24. i was out when the auction ended. curses.

right now i don't really want for anything, i'm too poor. apart from a brooks saddle.
  • GaryGkn
    Yes i know what you mean. Sorry if I made you think you were being critical I just meant I liked them all. Hope you get your Brooks!
  • peejay78
    i've never seen so many nice bikes in one place.

maybe apart from when i went to the MASH film screening the other day...

2082762479_f8d3471cc3.jpg
  • GaryGkn
    Peejay I hope I can make a break for it. It won't go down well but I really want to go.
  • GaryGkn
    Never made it. I was ready to go but had to have the kids as my wife was not feeling too good after the celebrations. I still need to find a 110mm rear track wheel and a 115mm for two old bikes.
  • peejay78
    cold set the 115, turn it into a 120. job done. maybe.
  • GaryGkn
    No the frame is too good to coldset. I will just get the hub respaced if i have to.

did you go on saturday?
  • peejay78
    no, not in the end, i slept right through, despite not going out!

i guess i was pretty tired.

sjs can do all sorts of axle lengths.
  • GaryGkn
    axle widths?
    older bikes have slimmer widths to modern bikes
  • peejay78
    sorry , was being a bit dumb.

the only problems i've had are when it's been a 130, so i need to get a respaced hub. otherwise i just coldset.
  • GaryGkn
    Sorry I meant the thickness of the axle rear is 10mm front is 9mm older bkes are less than these figures. I found some hubs at SJSC which will respace to 110. I am not going to cold set.
  • peejay78
    aha.

sorry for being dumbass.

i wouldn;t coldset if i was you either. i've done it on the cheap on seriously battered frames.
  • GaryGkn
    You can file down a modern axle.

I was reading about track frames today in Hiltons book and he was saying that all the light coloured frames came about because phsycologically they seem lighter than black or dark frames which give the impression of solidness and heaviness. The pink frame came up alot. I have seen a lot of track frames in white Bob Jackson say it is the most popular choice for track frames.

Also Fausto Coppi gets a good right up as well Eddy Merckx which has now made me want to read about these two champions. Got a Merckx book now might search for a Coppi book.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,418
    GaryGkn wrote:
    Also Fausto Coppi gets a good right up as well Eddy Merckx which has now made me want to read about these two champions. Got a Merckx book now might search for a Coppi book.
    William Fotheringham has written a book on Coppi which is due out in June this year I believe.

If you can, try and track down the book by Jean-Paul Ollivier which was published in English ten years or so ago. I read it and thought it was pretty good.
  • peejay78
    a friend has a lovely white bob jackson. or sort of off white. mine's dark blue and looks amazing.
  • GaryGkn
    Yeah I like your dark blue I went for chairio verde with gold luglinig after seeing a really nice but very pricey 50's track machine and when I saw your colur I thought I should have have done that but I am happy with the colour just need to finish it!
  • peejay78
    i have dark green luglining.

the paint job chips faster than a potato in a mccains factory. be warned. unless you went for special powdercoat and other custom stuff.
  • GaryGkn
    don't like the sound of that

if i do it again it will be a Mercian for me

the BJ is now a dry weather spring/summer bike

is yours well chipped?
  • peejay78
    i use it to commute, everyday, 15 miles a day, often more if riding round town. i take two locks, a big abus cable and a teeny kyptonite thingy. locking it up chips it to pieces after a time.

so far, there a few chips in the top tube, and the seat tube doesn't look too good. ok from afar though.

i guess the fear of losing it to theft supercedes the disgust over a few chips. in about 18 months i get it properly resprayed and it will be like having a new bike.

i got cinellie cork tan tape the other day, looks great.
  • GaryGkn
    Thanks Andy P I will check those books out.
    Peejay I will mainly use my BJ for commute but luckily have secure premises. I will lock it but I may leave some pipe lagging at work.