EG Bates

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited January 2008 in Road general
Sheldon's EG Bates is on Ebay. Some guy bought it from him and now it is up for sale.

Comments

• Aidy40
    Aidy40 Posts: 178
    Yes, seen it, very nice indeed, but out of my price range
    Aidy
    Aidan Searle
  • GaryGkn
    Hi Aidy, it is a nice frame, it would appear to have the original paint work. The guy doesn't really want to sell it I think he has got to have a clear out etc. You never see frames like that anymore. Although we will probably here of someone on the forum picking one up for £5 from the local dump any moment now and in better condition than the one on ebay.
  • Aidy40
    Aidy40 Posts: 178
    Yes that would be typical!
    Aidan Searle
  • GaryGkn
    Don't worry Aidy I have never met anybody in real life having such luck it's all a myth.
  • I had a 1950's R O Harrison road/track/path (fixed) given to me a couple of years ago gratis and it was Reynolds 531 butted and its got well fancy lugs, also got a Raleigh Lenton clubman again 531but plain gauge from 1947 for a genuine fiver from the local tip, got a Webster of Chesterfield for £25 from a guy at the local tip - http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... er-rb.html , had a Carlton team pro frameset (sadly too big ) given to me earlier this year 531 db tubes in great condition just needed(desperately )paint, also had given to me an Olmo(Columbus/Cinelli) from the late 80's again too big just given it to a taller aquaintance. My dearest machine was a 1955 James Fothergill of Liverpool and that was under £100 if I remember correctly a very beautiful machine 531db and handcut lugs equal to Hetchins http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... rgill.html
    There are plenty of bikes out there just look ,buy the ad -mag, put adverts in papers ,ask around it just takes time and patience...really.
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • GaryGkn
    Steve you are a lucky man! I am keeping my eyes peeled everyone already thinks I am obsessed. I liked that EG Bates. There are a lot of nice bikes and frames out there. Talking of really nice bikes my Raleigh Twenty still needs a stem and a solution to the bb. I will get there eventually but aesthetically I still prefer the old road /path machines of yesteryear. The R20 is purely a functional machine for me as I need something to shove in the boot of the car etc.
  • GaryGkn
    Steve lovely bikes you have there. I really like the Webster. What did you do with the Carlton? What size was it?
  • GaryGkn
    Have you got any 23" road path machines?
  • Gary,
    I may have. Drop me your e mail address and I'll send a photo.
  • flogged it on Ebay, though to be honest I would rather have kept it, but it was far too big by at least an inch and a half, I also have a Raleigh 20(badged as Triumph)I left the headset as I thought it rode ok for me at least, the BB can be modified carefully with an angle grinder,file lots of care and patience and just a little bit of ignorance(grind the faces equaly away until you get 68mm or 70mm width then 'towse' in the cups).
  • Yes people do think your'e nuts but once you get used to it and the jokes in the pub it does pay dividends ...I have more than once found bikes dumped round the back of my house by persons unknown leaving "old bikes for that nutty bloke who has old bikes down 't' road" many are mtb's usualy crap but occassionaly something's worth saving of it, had an old Post Office bike that was well bent(toptube) but had a few bits worth keeping.
  • GaryGkn
    I think to most people all bikes are roughly the same and any repairs are not worth doing but what I find fascinating is the variety even if you just go for a basic road path machine. Then the components are another minefield. Linked into the history and personalities of such builders as Major Nichols etc and it all becomes even more interesting. It is a very interesting subject it aslso can blend art with technology on a functional and aesthetic level. I don't find the modern stuff as appealing. Carbon and aluminum don't interest me yet and I don't know if they ever will.
  • I agree with pretty much all you say, with me I think it's a result of being brought up by Grandparents so I have an older outlook than most of my peers ,also I served my time as a hydraulic pipefitter/welder though also spent much of the time 'mechy' fitting so tubes and small engineering appeals, I also like art so can appreciate minutae and detailing . I obsess about old bikes especialy lightweights mainly lugged though fillet brazed when done very well are a special thing indeed. It is the small details in a frame that make it special, I can admire the technology of modern machinery but steel if looked after is 'forever' (well at least 50 years), I prefer older style components when they were all alloy and steel especialy when had makers stampis or engravings, favourites are Suntour stuff from the early mid 70's Cyclone/Superbe etc. It is/can be an full time obsession often occupying much of your waking moments and sad as it is instead of counting sheep to get to sleep I 'dry build' machines in my head to get me off to the land of nod!
  • GaryGkn
    Unlike you Steve I don't come from an engineering background but I do come from an art background I went to Chelsea and then Camberwell School of Art these days I work in publishing designing books which does also deal with components of sorts and assembling these days all done on computers. I am also reading a really good book One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers by Tim Hilton which actually sites cycling being an interest of engineers and graphic designers as well as postmen and others. It also goes into loads of other stuff and is a recommended read. I also like the lugged frames I have a really nice lugless Claud Butler which has Stallard like rear fork ends and looks very modern to my eye although it was built in the early 50's. The modern components I buy are usually Nitto they do nice stems and bars but these pieces would be going on a contemporary steel Bob Jackson Vigorelli 631 and a 1991 Mercian Strada Special. The alloyparts from the seventies are also very appealing there are some nos on Velo Orange. These days the lure of titanium is about as modern as it gets for me but i don't like the welding and I do like the it won't rust selling point. I would like a Bill Hurlo, Major Nichols, and a Rotrax road path.
  • GaryGkn
    Bill Hurlow. Sorry!
  • Tim Hilton's book is a great read, it mentions loads of interesting bits and pieces about things local to me such as proximity of cinder and grass tracks some of which are still visible, one local one was the Staveley Iron &Coke Atheletics track opened in 1952? by Reg Harris ,everyone thought he'd do a lap but apparently he turned up in a flash motor with a flash 'bird' on his\arm said a few words and left(he charged more for a lap or two apparently and no-one thought to check) the track was closed for all but amateur events due to being too dangerous not that long after, it was the Staveley works sports field for years before being used for car boots, it is now a Golf driving range.Also found the bit about Communism very interesting as one local club to me was visited and supported by the Communist party during the 30's ,they even had Russian party officials visit who brought food parcels because of the depression(same thing happened to local mining communities in the 84/85 strike.
    I must admit Titanium has me interested but I will wait and see regards longevity(whilst saving), it wouldn't be too difficult to get a real classic looking machine built from titanium using 'classic' 36hole spoking, with NOS late 80's early 90's components.
  • GaryGkn
    I've only just start reading Tim Hilton but soo far all of it has been interesting and very educational especially the sleeping in haystack and talks about cameras as well as the political side. A very refreshing read!
    I don't need titanium but it is an interesting alternative. Also 953 double butted tubing may one day become affordable? I'd probably go for that if it didn't corrode which it may not if it is like stainless steel. For now 631 is as modern as I can go. My Mercian is a 653 which i will keep for only dry weather. It would be nice if curly lugs came back on some of these new machines I think the Americans are keen for that sort of thing.
    There is a nice short film on youtube if you have not already seen it here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

I am now looking for a replacement chain set for my Dawes Galaxy it is an early 90's model I missed out on a nice looking Sugino triple for about £30 but I'll just keep looking something will turn up.

I would also like to go to a cycle jumble as I need a pair of old track wheels for the road to go on a Claud Butler Bilaminate.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    my bob jackson is 631, it's terrific.

agreed about the hilton book, a great read, really illuminates the roots of cycling in the UK, especially the track vs peloton debate/issue...

cycle jumble at herne hill, 1st jan.
  • GaryGkn
    Peejay what time?
  • peejay78
  • GaryGkn
    Cheers are you going?
  • peejay78
    i hope to, but it is 9am on new years day, which sort of causes a few problems...
  • GaryGkn
    yep I would like to make it but I am a bit broke wish i had saved for the occasion.
  • peejay78
    i will try and go, i want to get some rims, maybe some other bits and pieces. i want a brooks, but can't fork out the extreme amounts of money they go for new.
  • GaryGkn
    I want some old fixed wheels
  • peejay78
    ah.

you'll find some there for sure, an old maillard or normandy or something.
  • GaryGkn
    ok peejay i am doing lots of family stuff over the weekend and won't be near a computer i am going to try and go for the 9 am start. i will probably stay for about an hour as i will need to be back in bushey pretty early.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    I have just returned home from holiday. A 1930's Saxon twin tube tandem also managed to fit it's self in the back of the car :!: :roll:
    See link for SOME of my stuff .
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N00/
    bagpuss
  • peejay78
    do you have a bike shop? pnline business? the carlton has lovely lugs.