Fake Titanium

Nitro080490
Nitro080490 Posts: 3
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
I work in a bike shop we had a customer come in bragging about the bike he just bought which was a specialized Comp titanium

as we brought the bike out i looked at ti and realized its not actually titanium the only thing thats titanium on that bike is the paint i brought out my bike and showed him what titanium looks like he refused to believe me even my colleague at the time sagested it was titanium
we had a look on the website and it says specialized comp titanium then later on that day my colleague had a closer inspection online and found out only that the bike was infact aluminum
and the only think titanium on i was was surprise surprise the PAINT !!!!
So know we are going call the customer up and let him now that his bike is infact aluminum
And that he got owned !

Comments

• I'd love to come into your shop after being taken for a ride/making a mistake so you can then phone me up and take the p**s afterwards..

Where is your shop by the way?

HS
  • He is probably unaware that he has been sold a dud and was just showing off his new steed!

It's unlikely that he would take a frame to a bike shop assuming that the staff wouldn't know the difference. There are a lot of Spesh copies out there at the moment and people have been warned in the forum of purchasing them from total toerags.

I don't like to hear of that happening to anyone - would you like it happening to you?

So the last thing he probably wants/needs to hear is some condescending comments from weekend staff at a bike store......

And WTF is all of this 'he got owned' drivel? You been hanging out with Ashton Kutcher or something?
  • I'd love to come into your shop after being taken for a ride/making a mistake so you can then phone me up and take the p**s afterwards..

Where is your shop by the way?

HS

I know - total fukwit!
  • djvagabon
    djvagabon Posts: 262
    I didnt know they did Titanium paint. I have a Ti Merlin and its natural brushed Titanium. I thought all Ti bikes were just bare metal. Why would you paint a metal that looks as beautiful as Titanium. Reading this will definately make me more cautious about buying things off the net. Thanks for making me aware of this.
  • djvagabon
    I feel sorry for the guy. How pissed off would you be. What kind of an arsehole does something like that. They should tie him to a signpost in the middle of Tottenham and write i am a peadophile on his forehead.
  • gers84
    gers84 Posts: 32
    sounds like you work for halfords?
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    What's the problem with him thinking it's titanium? There's not much difference nowadays anyway.

I'd let him enjoy it :P
  • djvagabon
    Theres a huge difference between aluminium and titanium. Ive got both and the feel is totaly different with the ti frame.
  • djvagabon
    And theres a price difference. If the poor guy paid for ti then he shouldnt haveto put up with aluminium. The guy who sold it him should have his balls cut off with an axe.
  • toasty
    It depends on the frame and purpose, some titanium frames are stiff, some are flexy, much the same as aluminium frames. The Stumpy frames are very stiff!

I really can't see the problem with that guy thinking he's riding a titanium frame.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Troll?
  • toasty
    Me? :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Close up it should be easy to tell the difference between most alu and ti frames. Can be more difficult with steel and ti - use a magnet ;-)

Toasty is correct about feel, totally depends on the construction.

Matt - sandbox it?!
  • toasty
    edited January 2009
    I just don't see the point in getting one up on him and shooting him down. If he told me it was made of moon metal I'd just nod and let it slip.

Phone him up and tell him his pride and joy is made of cheap metal if you like :S I don't see how I'm trolling.

Edit: Oh, cheers Super, hehe.
  • djvagabon
    Id want to know, incase there was some way of getting my money back.
  • supersonic
    Not you trolling Toasty!
  • djvagabon
    Ive never ridden an ali bike that feels like a ti, and ive ridden a lot.
  • djvagabon
    At the end of the day you should get what you pay for. The poor guy got ripped off. I feel sorry for him.
  • gers84
    sonic what Ali frame did you ride that felt like a Ti frame?
  • djvagabon
    Good question Gers. Id like to know that 1 aswell.
  • supersonic
    I would also have to say what titanium frame too. As I said, feel is more to do with construction than the material. Rock Lobster Titanium is VERY stiff. An old Kona Explosif alu was more compliant.

The stiffest frames I have ever ridden have been steel frames.

As a material, steel is stiffest, followed by titanium, then aluminium. So construction!
  • gers84
    cheers sonic

Very intresting
  • djvagabon
    If you can get ali fromes that ride like ti, why do people pay the extra money for ti in the first place? Surely the mechanic at my local bike shop wouldnt have paid an extra £1000 for a ti frame if some ali frames ride the same. It doesnt make sence to me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No not you Toasty!
  • toasty
    Oh sorry :)
  • supersonic
    Because there is more to consider. Flexy aluminium frames do not generally last long as they have no fatigue limit. This is the main reason why they are built stiff and oversized, to reduce flex and increase strength and stiffness.

Titanium has a fatigue limit (can be flexed an infinite amount of times up to a limit without it failing), as does steel. Titanium is also corrosion proof and has a high elongation value.

You could apply the same argument to steel, which is much cheaper, but heavier for a given build stiffness (generally).
  • toasty
    djvagabon wrote:
    If you can get ali fromes that ride like ti, why do people pay the extra money for ti in the first place? Surely the mechanic at my local bike shop wouldnt have paid an extra £1000 for a ti frame if some ali frames ride the same. It doesnt make sence to me.

It's a different material all round, less likely to crack, easy to work with and get repaired, potentially building into much lighter frames than steel. Plus once again, it's very pimp and exclusive.

My point was, the Stumpjumper in question, could easily be made of titanium and feel exactly the same :P
  • djvagabon
    How does that work when ti is stronger then steel?
  • toasty
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to dash in and quote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html

Just because I know Super will in about 5 minutes :P