Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Dictionaries

mr_hippomr_hippo Posts: 1,051
edited December 2007 in The bottom bracket
Has anyone ever noticed that some common English words are missing from dictionaries? I am not talking about complicated technical words but words like 'gullible'.

• CrapaudCrapaud Posts: 2,483
    Unless they're slang, or words that The Sun's made up, I can't say that I have noticed.

Any examples, Mr Hippo?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • popettepopette Posts: 2,089
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Has anyone ever noticed that some common English words are missing from dictionaries? I am not talking about complicated technical words but words like 'gullible'.

yeh yeh yeh :roll:
  • orvorv Posts: 92
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Nope can't say I have, anyway it's in my oxford dictionary here. Guess you just need a better dictionary.
  • If the word 'gullible' is missing from your dictionary - could parts of this thread be used as the definition?
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • Max_ManMax_Man Posts: 185
    mr_hippo wrote:

:roll: ..... :wink:
  • orvorv Posts: 92
    If the word 'gullible' is missing from your dictionary - could parts of this thread be used as the definition?
    Damnit, you've made me lose my place, was checking to see if there were any missing. No fear though, "imbroglio" is in there.
  • mr_hippomr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    orv wrote:
    If the word 'gullible' is missing from your dictionary - could parts of this thread be used as the definition?
    Damnit, you've made me lose my place, was checking to see if there were any missing. No fear though, "imbroglio" is in there.

Natalie imbroglio - wasn't she in Neighbours?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    The plural of 'restroom' is not a word and, as far as I know, can't be found in any dictionary. I guess one would not need to use more than one at a time.
  • orv wrote:

Is 'contrafibularities' in there?
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Is 'discombobulate' in yours?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • jc4labjc4lab Posts: 554
    As Blackadder says the main use of a dictionary is to look up rude words
    jc
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use the Webster's 9th Collegiate to find origins. Very seldom for meanings.
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    he he, a classic.

Fell for it once.

1: "Hey Niall did you know they removed Gullible from the dictionary?"
    2: "Did they?"

Only works once.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days