Dictionaries

mr_hippo
mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
edited December 2007 in The bottom bracket
Has anyone ever noticed that some common English words are missing from dictionaries? I am not talking about complicated technical words but words like 'gullible'.

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Unless they're slang, or words that The Sun's made up, I can't say that I have noticed.

Any examples, Mr Hippo?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Has anyone ever noticed that some common English words are missing from dictionaries? I am not talking about complicated technical words but words like 'gullible'.

yeh yeh yeh :roll:
  • orv
    orv Posts: 92
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Nope can't say I have, anyway it's in my oxford dictionary here. Guess you just need a better dictionary.
  • If the word 'gullible' is missing from your dictionary - could parts of this thread be used as the definition?
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    mr_hippo wrote:

:roll: ..... :wink:
  • orv
    orv Posts: 92
    If the word 'gullible' is missing from your dictionary - could parts of this thread be used as the definition?
    Damnit, you've made me lose my place, was checking to see if there were any missing. No fear though, "imbroglio" is in there.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    orv wrote:
    If the word 'gullible' is missing from your dictionary - could parts of this thread be used as the definition?
    Damnit, you've made me lose my place, was checking to see if there were any missing. No fear though, "imbroglio" is in there.

Natalie imbroglio - wasn't she in Neighbours?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The plural of 'restroom' is not a word and, as far as I know, can't be found in any dictionary. I guess one would not need to use more than one at a time.
  • orv wrote:

Is 'contrafibularities' in there?
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Is 'discombobulate' in yours?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    As Blackadder says the main use of a dictionary is to look up rude words
    jc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use the Webster's 9th Collegiate to find origins. Very seldom for meanings.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    he he, a classic.

Fell for it once.

1: "Hey Niall did you know they removed Gullible from the dictionary?"
    2: "Did they?"

Only works once.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days