Bad Bike shops - lets start with dave hinde

Comments

• This is tyhe best topic Ive read in ages please keep it up- Lord knows I could do with all the laughs I can get. :lol::lol:
  • ramador
    ramador Posts: 14
    antfly wrote:
    ramador wrote:
    Who said I'm a "he"?

Your best pal,kebbjeb,refers to you as a he,are you calling him a liar?

The point is, you read people's comments then choose to believe exactly what you want to believe and slag off anything you don't.

Give someone enough rope and they will hang themselves.
  • ramador
    Ste_S wrote:
    ramador wrote:
    Yes you're suspicious. As Pedylan said I've written as I found, since the comments above are so different to my own experience. I've posted on here as it's the first item that comes up when you Google Dave Hinde, and had I taken all of your advice I would have bought elsewhere. I have no idea what the post is like I collected my bike myself. But at least someone who reads this forum now can read about a different experience than you had.

I think we've all made our points, yours still stand. Let's move on and go ride while the sun's shining.

I think this explains Ramador and Kebbjeb's posting. Instead of posting on here, why not try to get the mail order part of your business sorted out ?

Ste_S: "My business?" If and when you meet me at the Cheshire Cat or other ride, and you realise I don't own a bike shop, I'll look forward to you recanting on these pages. That should keep the readers of this post laughing.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I've never shopped at Dave Hinde, though I am aware of the overwhelming disregard felt against him (primarily) and his shop. I just think it's odd that someone who is about to undertake a major purchase, prudently in my opinion, does some research beforehand, then completely ignores it anyway. Are we to assume that if these 2 characters had seen 100% amazing feedback on Dave Hinde that they would have gone somewhere else?

Again, I've never shopped at Dave Hinde. Point of interest, feedback ratings for fastpartsforbikes seem fairly good of late?

Dave.
  • ramador
    dodgy wrote:
    I've never shopped at Dave Hinde, though I am aware of the overwhelming disregard felt against him (primarily) and his shop. I just think it's odd that someone who is about to undertake a major purchase, prudently in my opinion, does some research beforehand, then completely ignores it anyway. Are we to assume that if these 2 characters had seen 100% amazing feedback on Dave Hinde that they would have gone somewhere else?

Again, I've never shopped at Dave Hinde. Point of interest, feedback ratings for fastpartsforbikes seem fairly good of late?

Dave.

Correct. We read the comments on the net but went with a recommendation from a friend of Keebs who bought a bike from Hindes. Otherwise, you're right, it would be odd, stupid even. The experience was different from the forum history here so we posted about what happened. Some people seem offended by that and want to be rude about it. It appears these people don't want to hear about a different experience to the one they had, and for their advice not to be taken.

I've never shopped at fastpartsforbikes. I did buy a set of Shimano 7850 carbon laminates last year from Cyclesportsuk, one of the first sets in the country at £440, and their mail order service was great. Ditto Ribble and Wiggle who I use more regularly.

A character: "an interesting eccentric person". Never been called that before.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    ramador wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    ramador wrote:
    Who said I'm a "he"?

Your best pal,kebbjeb,refers to you as a he,are you calling him a liar?

Give someone enough rope and they will hang themselves.

Which is what you are doing.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Well, for the sake of balance.....
    I have bought several items over the last 3-4 years, latest being a saddle this month. I ordered on line (In stock shown) - later that day, the shop rang to say there had been a mistake, no stock. I was offered the choice of waiting ~ 7 days, or of taking (At same price) a higher spec saddle. Being me, took the upgrade, which was posted next day (RM then sat on it for 8 days, not down to DHR!)
    Every contact with the shop, by phone, E-mail or face-to-face (Went to the shop, bought a Dave Hinde road frame) has been friendly, courteous and knowledgeable.
    I'm sure some guys out there have had a bad experience, I speak as I find!
    Just for the record, I have no connection, no allegiance, live 120 miles away.
    Give them a try......
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    WTF?!

:D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Balance!! :lol::lol:
  • Perhaps they have spent the last two and a half years sorting it out. Or he forgot his password and had to set up a new account.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited December 2011
    Well, for the sake of balance.....
    I have bought several items over the last 3-4 years, latest being a saddle this month. I ordered on line (In stock shown) - later that day, the shop rang to say there had been a mistake, no stock......
    For the sake of balance I should tell you that Hinde already has an ASA adjudication against him for advertising goods he doesn't have so it looks like he's up to his old tricks. Also he must be the unluckiest Royal Mail customer as so many unhappy customers have been told it's RMs fault their goods don't arrive. Furthermore, if you can only speak as you find then why not use the search button and find the verbatim quotes of the highly offensive ebay feedback he has left customers. I think you'll find he's no angel!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You could have waited for this thread's 4th birthday, not noooo. No patience, kids of today eh?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,831
    Hi Dave :D
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I bought something from Dave Hinde once - I'm over it now though.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Out of curiosity (honest) I visited his website.

On the front page there's a slideshow alternating between a road bike and an MTB. See if you can figure out what's wrong with the picture of the MTB...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Kerguelen wrote:
    Out of curiosity (honest) I visited his website.

On the front page there's a slideshow alternating between a road bike and an MTB. See if you can figure out what's wrong with the picture of the MTB...
    the web site was built by someone who knows nothing about bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Kerguelen wrote:
    Out of curiosity (honest) I visited his website.

I blame the Post Office - they must have delivered it wrong
  • Can I be the first the blame Wiggle!
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • threadnecroid4.jpg
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • I should probably just keep my mouth shut but I can't do it...

I ordered frame and parts and built a bike from Dave Hinde 3 years ago. Everything arrived when they said it would and I had no problems with Customer service.

The frame is great, nice looking, light and very responsive!

So there you go, I'll go crawl back under my rock now... :P

PS This bike is now being demoted to Winter training bike and the Ribble Gran Fondo will be ordered in the new year! :D
    Hill..... What hill??!!

Dave Hinde Etape Sport frame on 105 groupset
  • tbc
    tbc Posts: 40
    Dave Hinde is in my local town (where my parents live, and where I used to), but I'd never heard of it till today.

Phoned up to see if it was open and they were polite enough then. Went in to the shop and bought an inner tube and had no problems at all, had a nice chat with the guy working there. Then I saw one of their mechanics, turned out it was the same guy I had seen in Halfords yesterday, asking in vain to borrow a chain link tool to repair his bike on the way home. It was seeing the Halfords staff's abysmal customer service that had led me to try and find another bike shop in the first place.

I decided to Google Dave Hinde when I got home, just to see if anyone had commented on the quality of their bikes, and found that it's about the least popular shop in the North West!

As with a couple of others, I have nothing negative to report at all, but I might now hesitate before buying something from them online. Shame, cos there's jeff all else in Northwich, and I'd love to have my hometown be known for something other than an armchair rioter rotting in jail.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    NapoleonD wrote:
    WTF?!

:D

This. Plus another crate, "why thank you land lord", chuck a V, M & L with it..

Love n hugs

DD

PS I didn't just push a thread? No I mean seriously no...
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    tbc wrote:
    .... Northwich...

If I had a case, I'd rest it here and now.
  • tbc
    tbc Posts: 40
    GiantMike wrote:
    tbc wrote:
    .... Northwich...

If I had a case, I'd rest it here and now.

:(
  • The worst shop I have had dealings with are Winstanleys, I bought a BMX for my son off them XMAS 2011, it Was a Sunday Pro almost £750 and after about three months he Gsport/Odyssey hub developed major probs, Winstanleys said it was normal wear and tear I went to Alpha BMX in Stoke where I live and the owner a Mr Alan Munger showed me a document stating that the hub and freewheel bearing had a lifetime guarantee, Winstanley's did no want to know even after several calls from myself to them stating this. In the end Alpha BMX sent the hub off to Odyssey at just postage costs. I would never ever buy off Winstanleys ever again.
  • Any good (by which I mean bad) stories about Dave Hinde lately? There isn't much on TV tonight and I love a bit of car crash voyeurism.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I bought a seatpost of whitstanleys and they were very nice on the phone. Half price and free postage. Thank-a-you.

It'll probably now break on its maiden voyage.....
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Shiny bikes are a mare

TLDR version: They are crap.

Long version:

1st order- pair of handlebars don't arrive after a week. Ring them up. They've been delivered and signed for. Not to me they haven't! They check and a few days later confirm they sent them to some unsuspecting bloke in the midlands. They send me out another pair and they arrive.

2nd order- stem, no problem

3rd order- another stem, they send the wrong size. Couldn't be mithered with it all so just kept it as I'm sure it'll get used at some point.

4th order- campag SR shifters and chorus cassette. Both arrive in a shoe box. No probes with the cassette. Shifter box is open, shifters are loose and the bits are loose in the show box. There's no cables. Ring up. They said they opened the box to check if there was any cables in as they are supposed to come with cables. (!)
    Send me out some cables in a plastic bag. Turns out they were the wrong cables, for 10speed and the left shifter doesn't work. Send it all back special delivery a week last Tuesday.got the money in my account 10 days later.

Will not use them again. Despite their very attractive prices...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • The worst shop I have had dealings with are Winstanleys, I bought a BMX for my son off them XMAS 2011, it Was a Sunday Pro almost £750 and after about three months he Gsport/Odyssey hub developed major probs, Winstanleys said it was normal wear and tear I went to Alpha BMX in Stoke where I live and the owner a Mr Alan Munger showed me a document stating that the hub and freewheel bearing had a lifetime guarantee, Winstanley's did no want to know even after several calls from myself to them stating this. In the end Alpha BMX sent the hub off to Odyssey at just postage costs. I would never ever buy off Winstanleys ever again.

Why did you not go to Alpha BMX in the first place?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    apols for not reading the whole thread but is the Dave Hinde marker pen story on here ?

man goes into DH and asks for a dura-ace rear mech having asked if they are in stock, he is given an Ultegra - when he says 'er this isn't what I asked for' Dave gets a marker pen and writes dura-ace on it and hands it back saying 'it's all the ***kin same'

quality customer service !!!!!
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight