Bianchi?allez? or scr?

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
lookin at lower end Bianchi,allez or scr....plus and minuses please?

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    they are very similar. - both have the higher head tube sizing - Giant make a fuss of the SCR Being a relaxed geometry bike for long distances, specialized don't say that but in effect their geometry is very similar.

I think the allez is available in more sizes - being sized in 2cm increments where the giant is on a small / medium / large basis.

it'll come down to:
    Which do you like the look of best?
    which are you getting a good deal on?
    which brand do you associate with?

for me, i'd go for the allez. It is remowned as a good lightweight frame and might make the better basis for upgrades in the future, plus I prefer the specialized brand - they get a name for being a faceless american corporate, but I think they are a very innovative company and have some great products.
  • stueyc
    i do prefer i think the allez....quite a few deals around for the 2007 model but limited sizes...will keep a look out....any ideas if jan sales etc make a good buying oppourtunity???
  • gkerr4
    I don't know that January sales are a 'done thing' in the industry really.

had an interesting conversation about this with a shop owner the other month - he was saynig that other than the really cheap stuff and kids bikes - which sell up to xmas and then not at all - the other stuff tends to be bought by the enthusiast, athlete or commuter - all of which represent an all-year-round market.

He did also say that the market has changed recently as until about 4 or 5 years ago those same "enthusiasts" didn't buy anything either - that the enthusiast then was in his fifties and was happy to run a 20yr old steel bike and moan when it needed tyres, but now the "enthusiast" is in his or her 30s and wants the latest carbon fibre this and titanium that and are happy to spend money on stuff

(sorry - wayyyy off topic that)
  • stueyc
    fair point i think with the 30 somethings etc....was a bit niave i think about the jan sales
  • stueyc
    fair point i think with the 30 somethings etc....was a bit niave i think about the jan sales
  • stueyc
  • gkerr4
    i don't think it was nieve of you - I am also hoping that there will be one - i am lining up a specialized tarmac elite for the new year and am holding back from buying in the hope that there will be one!! - but I don't think you are going to see massive reductions if at all.
  • stueyc
    very nice
  • The price reductions tend to come in the Autumn when the companies bring out their new ranges. For the rest of the year the prices stay fairly static. Try and find it cheaper somewhere else on the net (though it will have to be a proper shop with a website rather than big warehouse) and see if the bike shop will price match.

Back to the point I would get the allez. I have a specialized so maybe a bit biassed though :wink: However a few people in my blub have one and it looks quite nice and they are pleased with theirs.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I love my Allez Sport

The price drops tend to be in July because the new range comes out in August
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • stueyc
    looking to join local club and not wanting to be too embarassed about the ride...allez or the scr me thinks isnt too bad to start with?
  • stueyc wrote:
    looking to join local club and not wanting to be too embarassed about the ride...allez or the scr me thinks isnt too bad to start with?

Unless your hoping to joing an uber elite snob club no one should take the mick out of your bike whatever it may be if you can keep the pace. It is a far more embarrassing to be Mr all show and no go.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If it's the sort of club who look down on you because you have 'only' a £500 bike , would you want to join them ?

If they ask what sort of bike you have , they're more likely just checking it's not a £59.99 full-suss knobbly-tyred, 40kg heap-of-sh*te MTB
  • I'm a Giant tcr0 man myself.The reason I went for a Giant over the Specialized was because it was better spec'd.Ultegra as opposed to 105, but both of these bikes are very similarly kitted out. Decide which one you like the look of and have a ride on them both. If you check out similar posts in here you'll see that alot of people have got bikes in that price range, so no worries about getting slagged off. Buy and enjoy !!!!!
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • stueyc
    do like the look of bianchi aswell though..any thoughts
  • stueyc
    currently riding Claud butler...not many likers out in the cycling world!!...not fussed bout what they actually think...just thought it time i had something a little nicer

Bianchi do look so good though...might have to stretch a little further!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Which Bianchi?

I like Bianchi, but at the lower end of the price range the components on the Bianchis don't seem to be as good as the Specializeds.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stueyc
    without sounding a little wrong!...the bikes just look so sexy
    appreciate some of the spec at the lower end is not as good as some of the rest....but the looks i think way make up for this
  • redddraggon
    stueyc wrote:
    without sounding a little wrong!...the bikes just look so sexy
    appreciate some of the spec at the lower end is not as good as some of the rest....but the looks i think way make up for this

I know what you are saying about the Bianchi's......I'm getting one.

This is my next bike, when the weather starts to improve:

Y8B42.jpg

If you get a Bianchi, it has to be campagnolo!
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stueyc
    Exactly!...the colour and style just kills me...i know i cant afford it.baby on way due in couple of months but feel if i spend £400-£500 on a giant or spesh i will still want a bianchi
  • redddraggon
    stueyc wrote:
    Exactly!...the colour and style just kills me...i know i cant afford it.baby on way due in couple of months but feel if i spend £400-£500 on a giant or spesh i will still want a bianchi

Get one then. I've had to up my budget by £300 to be able to get that Bianchi (and I then thought about upping it another £700 to get a Wilier Izoard - but I thought again)

I think the key to buying a bike is buying the most expensive one you can afford. The bike should last you a good few years, so you don't want any regrets - get the one you want even if you have to stretch the budget a bit.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stueyc
    got second hand peugeot for £150 12 months ago..great bike but wanted a little better
    got the butler,again great bike to ride but only really acceptable to non cyclists...spent a few quid tarting up a little but seem to be throwin money at something i dont really want

really got the road bug,whatever weather,day,occasion i just need to stretch my legs
    ...everytime i see the bianchi..from bottom to topend of range i just look in amazement....35 yr old man and doing that!!!

only had the butler for couple of months but not really happy,tough justifying to wife spending a gee+ on a bike,but next purchase needs to be the right one for me at least for a couple of years
  • redddraggon
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=87037

Not much higher than your budget, and it's in Celeste.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stueyc
    they have offer on for the sora setup at about £440...but think its ridiculous small frame only

had sora on peugeot and xenon on current butler...love campag but xenon so flimsy and loose compared with sora
  • stueyc wrote:
    *snip* ... got the butler,again great bike to ride but only really acceptable to non cyclists... *snip*
    One of my bikes is a Claud Butler, albeit an old one (lugged 531 frame and "Handbuilt in England" decals). I'd like to upgrade eventually but that's because of the annoying downtube shifters, not the name - why bother about who it's "acceptable" to? You're the one riding it!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I just bought the Giant SCR 1 for £489.99, down from £850, from ashcycles. If you look back a few pages I asked the same questions. The Allez I could only get for £450 down from £500.

Not riden it yet (need pedals!), but have set it up and played with it. Very impressed so far.

105 spec, carbon post, shimano brakes etc.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    stueyc wrote:
    Exactly!...the colour and style just kills me...

its Italian.......its what they do.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    stueyc wrote:

If style over substance is what you are hankering after then you probably wont be happy with a scr or allez.

If you're after a bike for its practicality, function and feel then Giant SCR 1 at current net prices, is pretty un beatable, its not a bad looking bike by any means, its just not got italian styling. Personally I'd feel a touch self conscious on the bianchi in the picture, but then I look for function over form, I would hate to wear replica team kit etc, for me plain colours and practicality is what I want in my cycle gear, but theres plenty who love team kit as well.

However if you do go in for styling, how long will that bike be enough, theres some slick looking carbon frames out there how long before you are hankering after one of those?

If I didnt live in a very hilly area Id have a stripped down fixie with no clutter at all in a single colour with no graphics etc etc, maybe a front brake, maybe not....
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    stueyc my 2 pennyworth of advice would be to hang fire on your purchase and keep saving. The advice for buying a motorbike is to carefully consider all the facts and then say f*** it and buy the fastest one. A pushbike is similar - you buy with your heart and besides it could be that up til May you might not even get a lot of use out of it knowing the British weather.

Remember the anticipation of pleasure, is pleasure itself. Merry Xmas :)
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    edited December 2007
    stueyc wrote:
    ...spent a few quid tarting up a little but seem to be throwin money at something i dont really want
    stueyc wrote:
    only had the butler for couple of months but not really happy,tough justifying to wife spending a gee+ on a bike,but next purchase needs to be the right one for me at least for a couple of years

These two quotes should be pinned to the top of the beginners section about the importance of
    1) Getting the right bike to start with and
    2) The folly of thinking that throwing money on a basic bike will tart it up to meet expectations

The trick is to take your time and carefully select your next bike and even if it means saving up a bit longer, then its worth it. We can't all afford the 2000+ quid bling bike to get a bike to meet expectations but nowhere near that amount needs to be spent and yet the bike will still give many years of pleasurable cycling.

Happy hunting!!!