Hate & Anger

PO Paul
PO Paul Posts: 114
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
Bit long, but please bear with me.

I normally log on during the day at work, but had a little incident on the way home tonight that I need to get of my chest.

I was approaching a traffic light junction, green light, no other traffic going my way, but traffic turning right (across me) from the opposite direction. I've got right of way, but I slow down anyway. White box van turns across me, I have to brake, black transit type van begins to follow the white box van, but then stops. I continue, but have to get out of the saddle to pick up speed after having to brake, so it takes me a couple of seconds to get going properly. As I passed the drivers window of the black van, the driver shouted at me. Not sure what he said because his window was up, but there were a couple of F words in there. The thing that "upset" me though, was the look of sheer hatred and anger on his face.

I don't understand it, I'm a decent, 40 odd year old, law-abiding, wage earning, home owning, bill/tax paying husband and father of two, who just happens to enjoy riding a bike and uses it as a method of commuting. What gives that bloke the right to think that he is above me and can give me verbal abuse and looks that would virtually kill.

A minor incident I know, but you can probably tell this one got to me a bit.
Sympathy, understanding and a bit of encouragement please.

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    No, you're just cyclist scum getting in his way. At least in his mind.

He's the stuff-up, not you. Don't take it personally.
  • You selfish bastard!! You held him up for possibly 5 seconds!! He'll never get that time back and it meant him having to delay his acceleration and getting back up to speed.

You should be ashamed of yourself, giving us all a bad name!
    . :wink:
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    PO Paul wrote:
    ... but there were a couple of F words in there
    Maybe it was Gordon Ramsay just trying to give you some encouragement
    Or, the poor chap has Tourettes and was only trying to say "hello":wink:

Edit: That's how I deal with the nonsense/abuse you get on the road. Think up some totally obscure/stupid and amusing reason for their outburst. Which moves my focus from developing that "hate/anger" response that ruins the rest of your ride.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • I sympathise Paul. I well know there's a lot of pond life out there, but I too find it difficult to deal with the outright aggression some drivers seem to exhibit towards cyclists.

Just this morning I had a guy in a red Astra in front of me who I'd passed a couple of times over a 2-3 mile stretch of road. He'd done the trick of accelerating past me a couple of times before slamming on his brakes when he hit the lights. Anyway, he gets in front of me again - this time at a bit with a cycle lane - and then... blocks me. Actually BLOCKS me for another mile or so. I go to filter on the outside and he indicates right and swerves out into the middle of the road. I go on the inside (using the cycle lane) and he swerves into it. In the end I backed off 'cause I just couldn't be bothered. But it still upset me. WHY do this? WHY risk injury to me (and maybe to him) for the sake of... well I don't even know what.

Normally I get round this by trying to treat all cars like impersonal obstacles on an obstacle course but sometimes I can't help it getting to me...
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...there are people out there who are totally out of control...fortunately they are outnumbered by the majority of sociable, self controlled, humane everyday regular guys who just rub along and most times will do you a favour and help out...sorry you crossed one of the horrors, don't take it to heart PO Paul he probably hates everybody not just you...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    This kind of behaviour come from the wierd psychology of driving, it may be exagerated towards cyclists but in general drivers like this are aggressive to other drivers too. It just seems acceptable for many people to exhibit anger and aggression completely out of proportion to any incident when they are driving (and if we're honest many cyclists are more easily provoked into bad behaviour than we would be strolling down the street).

Part of it is because people seem to see piloting a vehicle partly as a contest with other road users rather than a collaboration to help everyone get from A to B in safety and reasonable speed.

Partly it's because they are separated from other road users in their metal box and feel less inhibited by the risk of a face to face confrontation.

It is pretty horrible though when these things happen.

J
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    That type of situation has happend to me many times and I usually just laugh at them which seems to really wind them up!

I do suffer from road rage myself though which is why I cycle everywhere.
    It's all good.
  • I had my first swearing incident the other day (that I heard, anyway). Coming home through Partick, there is a dual set of pedestrian crossings just near Merkland Court, which is a 1-way crescent on the LHS. The order (coming from town) is entrance to merkland court, traffic lights, exit from Merkland Court (no entry) and then a second set of lights. This allows the buses out. There's also a taxi rank in Merkland Court.

The lights are red as I approach, so I slow down, then as they go green, I keep going. A taxi is coming the other way and wanting to do a U turn in the exit from MC (which is a no-entry). He starts the manouver (he's indicating right, but given that it's a no-entry, I assume he's going to go round the crescent, given that's what it's for), then stops when he sees me. I also begin to slow. He sees this, and starts to move again, and then stops. At this point, I decide I'm just going to go anyway, and as I ride past, he yells 'For f**ks sake' out the window - I almost stopped and gave him a piece of my mind, but I refrained.
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Adamskii wrote:
    That type of situation has happend to me many times and I usually just laugh at them which seems to really wind them up!

Blowing kisses doesn't alleviate the situation but is rather funny to watch the incomprehension on their faces :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    Daniel B - lol

I once blew kisses to a chaps girlfriend. He was so angry his head turned a deep red, but I got a smile out of her. Classic.
    It's all good.
  • Mirrors do come off easily? 8)
    Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!!
  • Ditch the Militant tendancy, spread the two wheeled love.

Headshaking Loonys are always best left alone
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Someone forced me off my bike on a very narrow country lane -passed where it was way too narrow and blasted his horn.

Being nerdy I clocked the car type and reg number.

Two weeks later I saw him while in a work car - I chased him into a car park, blocked him in and vented my anger.
    I ended up with the most grovelling apology ever.

Never upset a cyclist in Cornwall - it's too small a place :twisted:
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • I've had my fair share of ignorant drivers whilst I've been on my commute. I do have to agree that I think it is something to do with being in a car as I myself did used to act quite aggressively. Nowadays when I see drivers racing to get ahead of each other at the lights, usually only to end up a bit ahead of the "loser" in the next traffic jam - I just smile to myself and cruise past on my bike!

Even when I'm in my car I still think what a waste of time it is, especially as that un-needed stomp on the loud pedal is wasting even more of the ever more costly petrol :-)

Some drivers just don't seem to treat cyclist as equals on the road and are seemingly unaware that we have the same rights as other road users when riding, just last night I narrowly missed being knocked off after having to brake to avoid a young lady not obeying a give way line at a junction - it was dark but I do have 3 lights up front and a high vis vest but I think the worst part is that this particular road & junction was actually a designted cycle route!! Just goes to show how much thought is put into them - but I think that could be a new thread :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...there are people out there who are totally out of control...fortunately they are outnumbered by the majority of sociable, self controlled, humane everyday regular guys who just rub along and most times will do you a favour and help out...sorry you crossed one of the horrors, don't take it to heart PO Paul he probably hates everybody not just you...

Exactly - bear in mind that this loser's blood pressure and heart rate shoots up every time he experiences such rage and that he will die younger as a result!
  • Ever noticed that most car drivers that rage against bikes are overweight and rather unfit looking?
    They feel all invincible in their cars.

The story is nearly always very different once they are out of them.

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Heh, I dont post much on this site anymore but I do come back every now and then.

Not being a small bloke 6ft and 17st (it is coming down!!!!) I tend to find the phrase "get out of the car and say that again.." (clean version) tends to stop most arguments..... I'm going to be stitching some emery cloth to the outside of some gloves. Proper 60 grit coarse stuff and if they get too close...... well I had to fend off the car. Got to remember NOT to wipe the nose on the gloves tho! :lol:
    I was shocked myself at some of the reactions to cyclists from the people in wheeled boxes- 2, 3, 4, 5 seconds..... is it worth all the agro?
    One bloke stopped after me flipping the bird at him, red rag and bull are words coming to mind- I stood up in the pedals and accelerated- he saw I was up for it and legged it. i found it was a guy at work! So a quiet word was spoken.

Saying that, its a small minority of drivers like this. Most are pretty good, the ones that really scare me are the ones that say" I didn't see you."
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ratty2k wrote:
    Heh, I dont post much on this site anymore but I do come back every now and then.

Not being a small bloke 6ft and 17st (it is coming down!!!!) I tend to find the phrase "get out of the car and say that again.." (clean version) tends to stop most arguments..... I'm going to be stitching some emery cloth to the outside of some gloves. Proper 60 grit coarse stuff and if they get too close...... well I had to fend off the car. Got to remember NOT to wipe the nose on the gloves tho! :lol:
    I was shocked myself at some of the reactions to cyclists from the people in wheeled boxes- 2, 3, 4, 5 seconds..... is it worth all the agro?
    One bloke stopped after me flipping the bird at him, red rag and bull are words coming to mind- I stood up in the pedals and accelerated- he saw I was up for it and legged it. i found it was a guy at work! So a quiet word was spoken.

Saying that, its a small minority of drivers like this. Most are pretty good, the ones that really scare me are the ones that say" I didn't see you."

Do you commute through Warrington? I find it pretty bad some days.

(Nice picture of the Tower in your photos!)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ratty - some lovely bikes in your pics!

I'm not in the slightest bit large (5'8", 11.5 stone) but am a national competing kickboxer (best was only 4th in the UK though) and lifelong martial arts bore. :twisted:

• Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Think one of the best responses I've read of was given to a raging car driver who came out with the usual "You lot ought to pay road tax!"

Cyclist made a point of looking in the car at his female companion and said.

"Looks like I've got another one up on you - I don't pay for sex either"

:lol::lol:
  • Gambatte wrote:
    Think one of the best responses I've read of was given to a raging car driver who came out with the usual "You lot ought to pay road tax!"

Cyclist made a point of looking in the car at his female companion and said.

"Looks like I've got another one up on you - I don't pay for sex either"

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Gambatte wrote:
    the usual "You lot ought to pay road tax!"

Some Cagers must be so ignorant that they assume that all cyclists either don't have a drivers licence or cannot afford a car, therefore they don't pay road tax.

Why would we cycle if we had a car?
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    dazzawazza wrote:
    Gambatte wrote:
    the usual "You lot ought to pay road tax!"

Some Cagers must be so ignorant that they assume that all cyclists either don't have a drivers licence or cannot afford a car, therefore they don't pay road tax.

Why would we cycle if we had a car?

I liked the forum poll recently which showed how high a percentage of us cycle commuters actually do own a car :D
  • Well wife and I cycle "commute" we work from home but start the day with a 10 miler) but own two cars.
    And one is a 4x4. Albeit a rather dinky little one.

• Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    His problem, not yours.

I find the best way to cope with a situation where somebody has let themself get into a real state because they can't have everything their way on the road is to smile and wave.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • tomgth
    tomgth Posts: 24
    Not 10 minutes ago I was referred to as a f*****g K**bend (which I don't dispute!) the dude was extremely angry and took the time to wind down his window to tell me so.

However, I took the car to work today!.....point being - it doesn’t matter what mode of transport you are using these people will always find someone/situation/problem to f and blind at. It’s their nature.

The only thing we can do is hope they eat sh*t and die.
  • Plax
    Plax Posts: 33
    Do you have a regular driver singling you out? There is a transit van on my commute, which passes me on the way home most days. His passenger ALWAYS winds down the window to shout something at me. One time he hung out the window, held out his hand and shouted "I'll give you a hand love" (I was cycling up a hill at the time). The last time I was cycling (yesterday), I had stopped to let cars past so I could turn right (there was both oncoming traffic and traffic behind me so I always wait until both sides have cleared before turning), the van slowed right down on the way passed and said something along the lines of "Oow, don't stop". I just stared at him.
    The first couple of times I thought nothing of it, but now it's getting on my nerves. It isn't abuse per se, he obviously things it's funny and I'm probably the only cyclist he sees on a regular basis, but I am starting to feel quite intimidated (I'm female, and don't know whether this is why they have singled me out), especially the last time when they slowed right down (no need to have done that). I'm just waiting for them to think it's funny to throw something at me next, or see if they can push me off.

I just ignore them, should I take down his number plate next time and report him?
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi you witnessed this morning, the small minority of road user who should never be allowed on the road, ignorant,dangerous, selfish and only care about themselves. It sounds like you are fairly new to commuting, have no fear it will happen again and again,with any luck you will develop a thick skin towards these tossers. Please do not let it put you off cycling to work, and the next time you are faced with an angry driver who gives you a load of expletives then have a good scream back at them, you will be amazed at just how good that feels, just ask anybody on this forum. Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    T'ain't just cyclists who get that treatment.

Yesterday was driving towards some lights which had just changed to red, about 300 yards from last set of lights. So, naturally, I simply eased off accelerator as there was no point in racing towards them.

Numpty behind me audibly changed down, screamed past me in Right turn only lane, cut back in and slammed on the brakes. I continued to roll gently towards the lights, they changed and I arrived at rear of numpty just as he set off at a rate of knots, only to have to brake again at 3rd set of lights only 50 yds further on, which were only just changing to green.

He then turned into his drive 1/4 mile up the road, without signalling.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...Plax, take his number and report him...it sounds like sexual harasement to me...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...