Track Day Taster Session

McBain_v1
McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
I've been invited to the Manchester Revolution do on 12 January 2008 at the Velodrome, and the bash includes an hour on the track. I've never ridden a track bike before, nor even been on a velodrome track.

Can anyone tell me whether there is anything I ought to be particularly wary of apart from:

fixed wheel bike
no brakes at all
steep embankments

How do you stop on one of these bikes (apart from falling off)?
Should you keep release tension on pedals really slack in case you're going to fall?
Any "track etiquette" I should know about?

Thank you.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    They'll show you exactly what to do. They're not allowed to just let you run free on the track, there woudl be too many broken bones if they did that. I did a session last year and it weas great fun, if a little scary at first. I'd never ridden a fixed wheel bike before and the banking is steep. But I got into it and it's a buzz.

They train you about etiquette too. Don't worry it's great.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Should you keep release tension on pedals really slack in case you're going to fall?

More like the opposite, you really don't want to unclip on a track bike :wink:

Look behind you when moving up the track, pay close attention to what the instructor says, and enjoy yourself.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    oh I really fancy having a go at that - let us know how you get on.
  • Track "etiquette" is critical in avoiding falling...but as posted before this isnt too hard to follow, just remember to look before moving up and down the banking. One thing to remember that not all coaches tell you at the start, when you are warming up and waiting to drop into a pace line or simply waiting to drop in after recovering from say a sprint, then stay up on the blue or above. You'll now what I mean when you see the track. Too many beginners are all over the place, and the space between the blue and the black lines is where the frantic action usually takes place, so unless you are racing / in a paceline then stay up above the blue out of the way. It's addictive by the way.
  • McBain_v1
    Thank's people - I'm really a bit nervous about the whole thing. I'm going to wear armwarmers because I don't want to lose any more skin if (when more like) I fall off :oops:

• The first time you try to not pedal - you'll get a kick up the bum from the saddle to remind you to keep turning those cranks. :)

Keep up the speed, too slow on the banking on a wooden board velodrome and you'll slip. While you could probably go slower (depends on the combination of your track, tyres and skill), 19mph+ (30km/h+) will be ample speed.

The banking is also your friend, if you are coming up on someone and want to ease off the pace, don't back pedal, just move your bike up a little (smooth gentle motions) and speed will wash off as you gain height on the track.

The banking on the turns is as steep at the bottom as it is at the top, so it's no more difficult up the top than it is riding low.

You'll have a blast - it's the most fun riding two wheels. Best part - you can't get lost :lol:
  • McBain_v1
    Nice link Alex, thank you 8)

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Dont panic, it is you on a bike and a bike track :D
    You will hear all sorts of stories and theories, just go and enjoy it.
    The coaches will explain the basics.
    The bike, fixed wheel no brakes, so simply you just keep pedalling.
    To start they will keep you on bottom of track on black line to get you used to track.
    You will find the action smooth.
    When you want to slow a little just ease off the pressue and the fixed wheel will keep your legs rotating, a bit like a spinning class bike.
    The only thing not to do is as Alex stated is forget to pedal, it is not too bad if leg bent but if you forget and straighten your leg, you will get a whack upo the arse :D
    generally after the black line, they will move you up a bit onto the red line to get you more used to it, and on the bottom of bank basically.
    You might be on track same time as faster guys higher up on blue line so you just keep to your line,
    If riding close in groups, do not get to close initially as you may not be used to varying your pace on a fixed wheel so play safe and stay at least a foot away.
    Once you get used to this they will get you to siwng up on the bank every half a lap so everyone does a turn on the front and you drop to the back for next go.
    As long as you do 14mph and above you should be ok.
    I have never crashed on the track yet, but have crashed a few times coming off it for a cup of tea loosing concentration on the inner track :oops:
    So your right to wear arm warmers just in case, also wear a base layer for same reason, and maybe even knee warmers.
    You will really enjoy it so do not panic :D
    Once you do a couple of them the coaches will introduce you to track etiquette and will instruct you when to move between lines on track and introduce you to some training routines which can be fast and hard :D
    One thing I would say not to do , is to go and have a look at the banking from above before you ride it as it really does look scary, but when you ride on it you wont even think about it you just ride around it.
    Good luck, report back :)
    Steve doesnt ride on the bank, it is too much like a climb for him :D
  • McBain_v1
    Thanks for the input and encouragement, I am still worried but at the same time there is the potential for some actual enjoyment here from what people are telling me :)

• Dont panic, it is you on a bike and a bike track :D
    You will hear all sorts of stories and theories, just go and enjoy it.
    The coaches will explain the basics.
    The bike, fixed wheel no brakes, so simply you just keep pedalling.
    To start they will keep you on bottom of track on black line to get you used to track.
    You will find the action smooth.
    When you want to slow a little just ease off the pressue and the fixed wheel will keep your legs rotating, a bit like a spinning class bike.
    The only thing not to do is as Alex stated is forget to pedal, it is not too bad if leg bent but if you forget and straighten your leg, you will get a whack upo the ars* :D
    generally after the black line, they will move you up a bit onto the red line to get you more used to it, and on the bottom of bank basically.
    You might be on track same time as faster guys higher up on blue line so you just keep to your line,
    If riding close in groups, do not get to close initially as you may not be used to varying your pace on a fixed wheel so play safe and stay at least a foot away.
    Once you get used to this they will get you to siwng up on the bank every half a lap so everyone does a turn on the front and you drop to the back for next go.
    As long as you do 14mph and above you should be ok.
    I have never crashed on the track yet, but have crashed a few times coming off it for a cup of tea loosing concentration on the inner track :oops:
    So your right to wear arm warmers just in case, also wear a base layer for same reason, and maybe even knee warmers.
    You will really enjoy it so do not panic :D
    Once you do a couple of them the coaches will introduce you to track etiquette and will instruct you when to move between lines on track and introduce you to some training routines which can be fast and hard :D
    One thing I would say not to do , is to go and have a look at the banking from above before you ride it as it really does look scary, but when you ride on it you wont even think about it you just ride around it.
    Good luck, report back :)
    Steve doesnt ride on the bank, it is too much like a climb for him :D

Consider it goood training for sportives then.... :wink:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I did a taster at Mcr weekend before last.
    - it was easy enough and great fun!

Apparently the coaches do vary, the one we had was pretty laid back but I've heard that others pull people off and 'have a word' - they are watching what's going on on the track and will ensure that no-one's doing anything silly, either through innocent misunderstandings or being stupid/dangerous.

He had newcomers ride a couple of laps on the flat green inside the track just to get used to fixed-and-no-brakes, then onto the light blue with the slight banking, then up onto the track proper.

You're up there and lapping very quickly.
    Without many people on the track, you can experiment with high lines around the top, fast laps around the black line, get in a group going around on the blue, etc
    Do just keep an eye open and know who's behind you, and check behind before you change line up or down the banking.

Take a waterbottle - you'll get thirsty.
    If you put it on the top of the coffee machine (you'll see) you can stop on the track, holding onto the rail, get your bottle and stay clipped-in.
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    You'll love it! I was so scared the first time but it doesn't take long to be flying round. The coaches are great at getting you started.
  • McBain_v1
    Just an update... the culmination of the taster session is a 200m time trial. This is going to be really humiliating for me :oops: Will post up some comments after the day - assuming that I survive :lol:

• just ride it as hard as you can, its easy, over in a few seconds:)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    just ride it as hard as you can, its easy, over in a few seconds:)
    Steve he is on about his track ride not his sex life :oops: