Time Trial Training

simonm77
simonm77 Posts: 3
I started cyclling again in january, I have covered about 1250 miles this year but most of this was done from Jan to August as I have been working away and not really ridden since August.
I am now starting to get back into riding and start a new job in the new year that is closer to home so I can commute on the bike.. 18 miles each way.
I want to compete in Time Trials next year, mainly 10s and 25s.
My question is what sort of training should I do throughout the winter?

Thank-you for your time
"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” - Lance Armstrong

Comments

• J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    Have you got a turbo trainer? It is probably the most important piece of equipment you can have to train for TT's (apart from a bike of course :lol: ).

From January you probably want to start doing some interval training, like the 2x20's mentioned above, but also sessions with shorter but more frequent, and harder, intervals.

If you're new to cycling, try to avoid the common beginner's mistake, of riding moderately hard all the time. In my experience this tires you out without really raising your fitness level - the trick is to mix steady paced riding with very hard sessions where you ride for short periods faster than you can ride over a race distance, to the point where eventually you can maintain that sort of effort for the full 10 or 25 miles.

If you are doing just 10s and 25s, you don't need to spend hours training. What matters is the quality of training. If you have sufficient base training you can practise doing interval training, where you will be riding at an effort equal to or greater than in a race.

I like doing hill intervals.

~
    Tejvan
    http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog