Fred Whitton Challenge - 2008

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Rabcp wrote:
    Oh Rats

I'm not in AGAIN, 2 years on the trot, I have applied on the day it opens (sent first class post) and not got in.

Looks like next year I am going to have to deliver it by hand :roll:
    You can still ride the route on the day. You just won't get a transponder and your name won't be on the results list - BFD!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    timcla wrote:
    Me to, No.56. Its scaring me more than last years etape ride.! :)
    I think last years Etape du Dales will seam like a walk in the park in comparison Help!
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    vermooten wrote:
    Rabcp wrote:
    Oh Rats

I'm not in AGAIN, 2 years on the trot, I have applied on the day it opens (sent first class post) and not got in.

You can still ride the route on the day. You just won't get a transponder and your name won't be on the results list - BFD!

That's not a very fair thing to do!. :cry: The numbers are limited because any more riders would put the event at risk. If you want to ride the route do it on another day.
  • timcla
    timcla Posts: 88
    John C. wrote:
    timcla wrote:
    Me to, No.56. Its scaring me more than last years etape ride.! :)
    I think last years Etape du Dales will seam like a walk in the park in comparison Help!

sorry, I meant L'etape de tour, that must be somewhere close !
    fitness is for life
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    yep I'm in thanks to my friends in the lakes. No.834. Guess the hard work starts here. Plenty of miles and plenty of hills. Got a mixture of fear and excitement at the moment , I guess I 'll feel more of both as the day gets closer. :lol: Any tips from you old hands who have done it before?
  • Eddy Merckx had it about right - ride lots, especially hills and intervals.
  • Oh, and as a white bearded salty old sea dog said to me on Newlands in 2005 "the ride starts here". Take a look at the route profile and understand this statement, it is very true. The 2nd half is the harder half and you will be tired.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oh, and as a white bearded salty old sea dog said to me on Newlands in 2005 "the ride starts here". Take a look at the route profile and understand this statement, it is very true. The 2nd half is the harder half and you will be tired.

I' d say the ride starts for real at Seatoller...Honister Pass in my book is the 2nd toughest climb in the FWC...thats not to say that Kirkstone/Matterdale End etc don't count its just that at Honister the real steep stuff starts...
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    ash68 wrote:
    yep I'm in thanks to my friends in the lakes. No.834. Guess the hard work starts here. Plenty of miles and plenty of hills. Got a mixture of fear and excitement at the moment , I guess I 'll feel more of both as the day gets closer. :lol: Any tips from you old hands who have done it before?

Only done it once last year Ash68 and I suppose it depends on your general fitness and past experience. The best tips I can give you is too eat probably a bit more than you would for a 'normal' ride of this distance and dont go crazy speeds to keep up with groups who are riding out of your comfort zone(although in sportives I tend to go quicker than when I ride normally).

If you have not encountered the steep climbs in the lakes Honister/Wrynose and of course Hardknott passes stand out as they approach super steep status at parts and unless you climb like Pantani you will need very low gears such as compact or even better a triple if you plan to get round without walking.
    Brian B.
  • ash68
    thanks for the advise Brian. I use a triple chainset 30/42/52 and a 25 cassette. I've climbed kirkstone pass from windermere and the harder Patterdale side but have yet to sample the delights of Hardknott or Wrynose.Think I may need a 27 on the rear for those.I 've done hilly rides over 100 miles before but not with this much climbing. Think your advise is good, not to get carried away with the speed of others and to eat well to keep energy levels up. I've done the cumberland challenge and northern rock cyclone rides last year,but appreciate this will be a big step up. Think we have a recce ride planned in April which is good to give me some idea of the climbs in store for me. I would definatly like to ride all the way round and will try to alter my training to achieve this. With more hill climbing and rides up to 110-120 miles. Think I may join my local club as well as I see they have 2 riders entered in the ride. Try to get some advice and train with them.thanks, Ash
  • Anonymous
    ash68 wrote:
    thanks for the advise Brian. I use a triple chainset 30/42/52 and a 25 cassette. I've climbed kirkstone pass from windermere and the harder Patterdale side but have yet to sample the delights of Hardknott or Wrynose.Think I may need a 27 on the rear for those.I 've done hilly rides over 100 miles before but not with this much climbing. Think your advise is good, not to get carried away with the speed of others and to eat well to keep energy levels up. I've done the cumberland challenge and northern rock cyclone rides last year,but appreciate this will be a big step up. Think we have a recce ride planned in April which is good to give me some idea of the climbs in store for me. I would definatly like to ride all the way round and will try to alter my training to achieve this. With more hill climbing and rides up to 110-120 miles. Think I may join my local club as well as I see they have 2 riders entered in the ride. Try to get some advice and train with them.thanks, Ash

Ash, the 27 rear on the back makes a big difference to the 25 and will give you much better success chance if used...Kirkstone from Patterdale is a very tough climb but its an absolute Dawddle is comparison to Hardknott West...in fact theres only one other climb in the whole UK I'd say compares....and at 100miles it all comes down to Self Determination...just ask your lake mates who helped you out...P.s Your Lake Mates are my Lake Mates, if you want any good advice then the lads know all the answers :wink:

P.s This April Reccy Ride....is it a ride which takes in the Struggle/Hawkshead/Torver Climb/Stickle Pike/Birker Fell/Hardknott/Wrynose/Wallend/Red Bank by any chance?
  • John C.
    I have ridden Wrynose and Hardknot East on middle ring and Boltby and Rosedale, BUT this was when I was just nicley warmed up, the last of 9 climbs on the Etape du Dales like Hardknot will be on the 100 mile mark I was in the Granny gear and well down the cassette. Fit low gears you will need them on the last two climbs( which by the way I have never ridden )

P.S. Are you in Rich ?

• John C.
    For those of you who have not been successful check out the Rydale Rumble, only in it's growing stages and as not many people know about it it's not filling up fast. Believe me it may not have the same kudos as the F.W. but it soon will do, Boltby Bank is the first little blip and The Chimney on the 100 mile mark. It will challenge the best.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12554489

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    ash68 wrote:
    thanks for the  advise Brian. I use a triple chainset 30/42/52 and a 25 cassette. I've climbed kirkstone pass from windermere and the harder  Patterdale side but have yet to sample the delights of Hardknott or Wrynose.Think I may need a 27 on the rear for those.I 've done  hilly rides over 100 miles before but not with this much climbing. Think your advise is good, not to get carried away with the speed of others and to eat well to keep energy levels up. I've done the cumberland challenge and northern rock cyclone rides last year,but appreciate this will be a big step up. Think we have a recce ride planned in April which is good to give me some idea of the climbs in store for me. I would definatly like to ride all the way round and will try to alter my training to achieve this. With more hill climbing and rides up to 110-120 miles. Think I may join  my local club as well as I see they have 2 riders  entered in the ride. Try to get some advice and train with them.thanks, Ash

Small world Ash68. I think as my brother 'Richyboy' above says if it is the recce in April with Allan Nelson, Stu, Glenn and co in the Lakes we will see you there. It was my crazy brother who put this route together and if you manage this you get by in the FWC.
    Brian B.
  • ash68
    Cheers Richyboy and Brian. Yep, was the very same Allan Nelson who kindly helped me get my place. The exact route of the recce ride wasn't discussed at the time, think Allan didn't want to frighten me off before I'd even entered the ride :shock: It'll be the very same one you lads are talking about. Sounds like I need to do some serious training just to get round that ride never mind the FWC. Thanks for all the advice and look foward to seeing you both around april time.Cheers, ash
  • Anonymous
    John.C - Yes mate I managed to scrape myself in....so another onslaught! -I'll send you on a wee email Johnboy....

Ash68 - No problem mate, be really nice hooking up for some SERIOUS pain in April...its gonna be tough!
  • John C.
    Just done a Boltby lap. Did it with one eye closed, by the time we do the FW I'll be doing it blindfold. :lol:

• ginger1
    ginger1 Posts: 94
    If anyone is looking to sell on their entry for whatever reason, please let me know. I'm looking for 2 spares for friends that never made it in. Long shot I know.
  • Have spoken to a few people today who seem to think the entry system is too much of a lottery. One guy posted his entry by hand through the organiser's letter box at 11am on monday. He didn't get in. Another sent his by post on his lunch break on monday and did get in. Makes you wonder......
  • ginger1
    ginger1 Posts: 94
    difficult to know how else to do it. Only as much of a lottery as phoning in or internet. Least everyone has access to the post and it doesnt require you sitting on the phone for 2 hours trying to get through. Have experienced frustration from all forms of ticket selling. Every year its a nightmare trying to get Glastonbury tickets.
  • vermooten
    One guy posted his entry by hand through the organiser's letter box at 11am on monday. He didn't get in. Another sent his by post on his lunch break on monday and did get in. Makes you wonder......
    Entries handed in before Tuesday 8-Jan-08 wouldn't be accepted, according to the website. This would explain why guy no 1 didn't get in but guy no 2 did.

If you don't get an entry you can still ride the route on the day.

Manchester Wheelers
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    vermooten wrote:
    Rabcp wrote:
    Oh Rats

Thanks for the tip, but I just don't feel it is in the spirit of the event.

Will wait till next year methinks
  • One thing the organisers could do,could be to make some restrictions, cycling club member only, no triple chainsets,compacts for ladies only, no rapha kit. That would get rid of half the field for a start. :wink:
    ding dang do
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Have spoken to a few people today who seem to think the entry system is too much of a lottery. One guy posted his entry by hand through the organiser's letter box at 11am on monday. He didn't get in. Another sent his by post on his lunch break on monday and did get in. Makes you wonder......

But (if you mean Tuesday when the event opened) it sort of lays to rest the idea that handed in entries get preferential treatment doesn't it?
    It's bound to be a lottery when there's 1000 places and many many more than that apply.
    Not sure what else they can do. But that's easy for me to say 'cos I was lucky enough to get in.

Dont like Angelic Upstarts idea. I've got a triple AND a pair of Rapha socks (for Chriistmas) - guess that's me barred for life then ;-)
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Sorry....

The forms were handed in on the day that entries were allowed. Am I right in thinking that the form was only available that morning.....?
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Sorry....

The forms were handed in on the day that entries were allowed. Am I right in thinking that the form was only available that morning.....?

I just happened to be looking at the FWC web site on the Monday night about 23:30 and noticed the form had appeared. I don't think it can have gone up much earlier than that. Wasn't there earlier in the evening.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • vermooten
    I think it went up at about 23:10 on Monday.

The best way would be for the organiser to use an online entry system, then everyone's got an equal chance. It must take him ages to sort out all the entry details and payments by hand.

Manchester Wheelers
  • I suppose it is easy to complain about it. I wouldn't fancy trying to sort it out. If only 1000 get in, there must be a good number to sort out that didn't! I wonder how many entries they get?
  • g7kse
    g7kse Posts: 3
    If it's any consolation, I was lucky enough to get in but mine was hand delivered by lunchtime. A friend who entered put hers in the letterbox an 6.40am and there were already entries waiting!

On a lighter note I rode up hardknott last sunday on a mtb and it's interesting! positively comedy, including the amourous couple half way up in a blue fiat punto....steamy windows

Seriously though, this might not be the right place to ask but as this is my first long 'un (only ever done a couple of mtb marathons and plenty of running) I'm putting together a training plan for myslef that includes a 15 mile commute 3 times a week. Any pointers for weekly miles that I should look to cover? I will be doing progressively larger parts of the route over the coming weeks on long sunday rides
  • vermooten
    I wonder why most European sportives have unlimited numbers allowed to ride, including entry in the day, but in the UK there are limits.

Manchester Wheelers