Fred Whitton Challenge - 2008

rhnb
rhnb Posts: 324
Just a heads up that the Fred Whitton web-site is currently being revamped and should be available soon.

I see they've increased the number of riders to 1,000 next year, so that should keep a few more folk happy. (apart from those wanting to drive over Hardknott that day) ;-)
~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'

Comments

• daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    WIll be trying to get a entry for the first time, cant wait it will be my first time down in the Lakes as well.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    daowned wrote:
    WIll be trying to get a entry for the first time, cant wait it will be my first time down in the Lakes as well.

You, me and a few thousand other peeps I should think :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If its your 1st time in the Lakes then prepare yourself...I certainly wsnt prepared the 1st time I went down ther...and I had a triple 30x27! I remember approaching Seatoller and looking up to see where this Honister Pass was....I saw a faint road through some trees but it looked miles up ans so close and I thought "No way, that cant be it there"....well it was and Boy did I get a fright....made evrything I'd ever rode in Scotland seem flat! And i'm including Glen Quaich and the top of the Bealach!

We then Cycled over Newlands/Whinlatter/Cold Fell etc and we had convinced ourselves that this 'Hardknott' couldnt be any worse than Honister...HAH! Clapping eyes on that for the very first time is something I'll never ever forget....It was pouring with rain and there was around 10 cars coming down Hardknott...My brain just couldnt register what I was seeing....

This climb is beyond comprehension...Bealach Na Ba is a absolute Dawddle in comparison...and hitting this at 100miles on the FWC is a very unique experience...you don't even think of Wrynose which lies 3 km's further on...your legs are that wasted after Hardknott (if you are one of the few who manage to cycle up it...90% were walikng this year when i was on it) and although this is the 'easy' side of Wrynose it just takes anything whats left....the FWC in early May is a true test of character.
    (glad i'm missing it this year)
  • wors
    wors Posts: 90
    I am thinking about doing it too, someone convince me to do it/ not to do it.
  • rhnb
    Well just take a look at Richyboys write-up here...

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localri ... /index.htm

and there's some pictures taken around the route here...

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localri ... /index.htm

Hopefully they'll tempt you to give it a go.
    I was going to say the hardest part is getting in - but it isn't, it's Hardknott.

See you there in May ;-)
    ~~~
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Cycled Hardknott & Wrynose after 80 Cumbrian miles last year and believe the hype, it's extreme.

I've ridden lots of the 'uber-climbs' in Europe......but those Lakeland beasties are something else (maybe except for the Zoncolan which is silly), quite comically hard.

I'll be signing up tomorrow...it's a sportive that I always planned to do at some point. I put a foot down last April and would like to better that.

Will mean some serious serious prep though, and mental focus.
  • rhnb
    Hopefully see you there in May then.

The entry forms now up on the web site - get yer pen out ;-)
    ~~~
  • Anonymous
    Wasn't going to go for it this year but due to extreme temptation with my lakeland friends I'm gonna try and have another pop.

Who else is up for this?

If i'm successfull in my entry..i'm already thinking of the Death March at 90miles heading East out of Gosforth....thats some feeling that! Body is just so sore and traumatized from the preceeding efforts, hitting the wee steep climb of Irton Pike at Santon Bridge always hits home the reality of how the legs are...after that....the VERY slow run up along small narrow road with high line hedges..your heart rate quickening...your legs feeling empty....then you see it.....OH F*CK.....the sh*t has just hit the fan....will I succeed once again or will the rbute seek revenge?
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    After what you wrote Richeyboy I might just give it a miss.
    I have pain!
  • I'll tell you what Ivan, Richyboy isn't wrong.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    entries have now closed - so if you've already downloaded the entry form hurry up and het it to the post office
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • vanleapo
    vanleapo Posts: 150
    Posted my entry form at 7:45 this morning, so now just the long wait to see if the cheque is cashed.

For all those that don't get in, I'm sure there are still plenty of places on the Lakeland Loop ride- http://www.epicevents.org/product.php?x ... 90b77a9c33
    Which is somewhat shorter than the FWC but you still have to get yourself over Hardknott & Wrynose.
    If you do get into the FWC the Lakeland Loop makes perfect training / preparation as it's on April 13th.
    Tearfund Tour of Scotland 26th May to 1st June 2013
    http://www.justgiving.com/phil-godley
  • vermooten
    vanleapo wrote:
    If you do get into the FWC the Lakeland Loop makes perfect training / preparation as it's on April 13th.
    If??? See y'all there.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Got my entry in the post early this morning too. Fingers crossed :?
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Also waiting with baited breath for the rider list to be posted. Fingers crossed.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    If I don't get in I shall stamp my feet and demand an independent audit of the approval process, and I'll hire 'mr loophole' or whatever he's called to fight my cause on a technicality, or maybe I'll sue the Royal mail for delaying my application, or something.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Fingers crossed. entries in.
    Rich are you in now :)
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • rhnb
    John C. wrote:

Yes, we talked him into it (though he didn't need much persuading).
    Otherwise we'd have called him a wuss - even though he is 6'5" ;-)

Fingers crossed all round.
    ~~~
  • Nice to see a local independent bikeshop sponsoring the event. Anything for charity has got to be good and positive publicity for cycling for all.
    For anyone who has never done The Fred, believe me it's extremly hard but well worth the effort.
    Advice: train hard, do plenty of climbs and then do some more. I live in Keswick and am pretty used to the climbs. Took me 8hrs 19mins, but I am not the youngest. It is a real emotional day, but great crack and thanks to all who support and help it.
    Well done to you all. Ride safe.
  • Anonymous
    rhnb wrote:
    John C. wrote:

Yes, we talked him into it (though he didn't need much persuading).
    Otherwise we'd have called him a wuss - even though he is 6'5" ;-)

Fingers crossed all round.

Yes, the guys had to really twist my arm :wink:

But beleive me if i'm lucky enough to get in then I will be a 6'5" Wuss as I'm approaching Seatoller and Eskdale - guaranteed!, sitting here 8 months on the memories usually transcend into glowing heroics of heaving your body and soul up the insane gradients and 'conquering' the hills in the order that the come....but my memory is a wee bit more astute than that and I can remeber exactly how I felt approaching Seatoller lastyear...I was feeling terrible from the very fast pace along the A66 and around Derwent Water and I knew the effort that awaited me...thankfully after this 'always awakening' trauma I picked up and had a nice run over the rest of the run until Eskdale....I honestly think the mind and the hellish self doubting thoughts weaken the body even further...and then your faced with 'what I say' is one on Cylcings Challenges....I took massive cramps at the Red Telephone Box when I stopped and waited on my mate...but I put in one my best ever efforts, I really dug as deep as I could and 'just' and I really mean 'just' made it....even Wrynose really hurt me and tested me somewhat and I usually find that one not too bad....

Yes the FWC is truly a monument....it is the benchmark for the ultimate challenge...although I've signed up for the White Rose aswell this year and that looks very tough...after that its Dave Lloyds Mega Madness, which I reckon will earn the reputation as the Uks toughest, and then a simple case of the new Devil Ride which has ONLY 3500meters climbing with the infamous Devils Staircase as its showcase!

Good luck to all for the FWC, shouldn't be too long for we know one way or another!
  • vermooten
    Yeeha!! I'm officially IN at no 203: http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/riders.html

Manchester Wheelers
  • Me too! #379!
  • Snook in @ 903. Better get some hills in.
  • vermooten
    Hills???

Manchester Wheelers
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Oh Rats

I'm not in AGAIN, 2 years on the trot, I have applied on the day it opens (sent first class post) and not got in.

Looks like next year I am going to have to deliver it by hand :roll:
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    I'm in again, third year running. Unfortunatly my mate from Glasgow with whom I was going to ride with does not seem to have made it. :?
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    mozwyn69 wrote:
    I'm in again, third year running. Unfortunatly my mate from Glasgow with whom I was going to ride with does not seem to have made it. :?

it appears that the post from the West of Scotland has been a little on the sluggish side :wink:
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Number 836. Here we go again. :twisted:
    Brian B.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    843 I'm in. Feels a bit scarey now. Guess I'll have to say hello to Mr Boltby a bit more often than usual.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • timcla
    timcla Posts: 88
    Me to, No.56. Its scaring me more than last years etape ride.! :)
    fitness is for life