Just been out on the wilier. First time riding in 15 years!!

a_n_t
a_n_t Posts: 2,011
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
WOW! :shock: :D

Probably a familiar story........... used to ride years ago, packed it in, reached the grand old age of [neary] 37 and looking down at the ever expanding waistline thought, "It's now or never!!"

So............did a bit of research and decided on a wilier mortirolo, 08 centaur carbon clad, upgraded the wheels to zondas, polar HRM and off we go!

Any feedback on the 1/2 hour I managed would be great, [not much to go on I know]

height - 6' 2"
weight - 13 stone
exercise time - 27:52
heart rate - max, 196! avg, 170.
kcal - 517
distance - 7 miles
avg speed - 15mph
top speed - 22.7mph
ride time - 27.50

Obviously at some point I'm going to need my MHR but do you think it should get much highr than 196??? seems abit high to me! I wouldn't say i'm completely un-fit as i do quite a physical job but even so!!! It is quite windy btw!

last word on the mortirolo............. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, AWESOME, i would say effortless but going off my HR :lol:
Manchester wheelers

PB's
10m 20:21 2014
25m 53:18 20:13
50m 1:57:12 2013
100m Yeah right.

Comments

• Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    15 mph average is good going after such a long layoff. Keep it up! Can you go touring for a few weeks? It's a great short cut to shedding a few years.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • That's pretty good in my book. Fitness is also about recovery time. How did you feel afterwards and did it take long for your HR to get back to normal resting?

You're not over weight compared to your height IMO. Your max HR does seem high but this will be harder to reach when you get fitter. It's recommended to try to keep your HR around 80% of your max. during exercise for optimum aerobic fitness. That average speed is pretty good too. I presume predominately on flat roads?

Keep up the cycling. Now you have a target but don't get too hung up on figures and enjoy the experience.

Wilier.... nice bit of kit... Any pikkies?
    Every winner has scars.
  • a_n_t
    tbh I've no idea how long it took my HR to get back to normal, felt like about 10/15 mins before I was ok again :lol: take the point about MHR being harder to hit as I get fitter, makes sense. Do you think I should take that as a max for training purposes? It was a flat route, to check the bike set-up more than anything really! And I did try and keep the HR down but with that wind today!!!! :o Don't consider myself to be overweight at all really, in fact my legs are quite skinny! more my % body fat is probably quite high so thats what i'm aiming to tackle first. thanks for the replies.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    I'm sure somebody will be along soon who understands all the training numbers. It's great to have a record of how you are progressing from scratch, but I wouldn't get too hung up on hitting any targets until your fitness improves substantially. What you really need now is MILES - so the best target would be to aim for a certain minimum distance per week. For most people that's about finding enough spare time to spend on the bike.

I hope you have good lights and clothes for keeping up the miles through the winter! Or sod off to Majorca on your lovely bike and make us all jealous :D
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • a_n_t
    Yeah, no substitute for miles in the legs I know but its finding the time and I dont do rain!! :D Clothing and lighting are no problem.

Or sod off to Majorca on your lovely bike and make us all jealous

says the man in Jamaica! :D
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • A Mortirolo as a first bike ... I'm jealous.
  • Hi A_n_t, almost the same story as me. I'm 37, been away 20 years, but I'm shorter and heavier :( I did a lot of weight training in that time though so I'm claiming some to be muscle !

Losing the waist and re-gaining my fitness are my main aims, then I can start dopping weight off the bike and spending some more money :lol:

Enjoy your riding
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Mortirolo Centaur - good choice good choice! Reluctantly sold mine last month!

Enjoy it. :D
  • a_n_t
    Losing the waist and re-gaining my fitness are my main aims, then I can start dopping weight off the bike and spending some more money :lol:

same here........................a sub 30 min 10 mile TT would be good this year too!

Bike is pretty much sorted, got a specialized toupe coming but other than that its fine.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    An indication of your improving cardio/vascular fitness will be how long it takes your heart to recover to your resting pulse rate after exercise. Keep a check on that easily by taking your pulse at your neck or wrist for 15 seconds and multiplying it by 4x
    Keep a record of that and your normal resting rate rate pulse also. That should slow down to below 60bpm when you get fitter. Take your resting pulse as you wakeup but before moving.

A word of warning. Your max heart rate is way too high you should moderate the exercise to about 80-85% max . It is also essential you don't just blast round your route and come to a direct halt outside your house with your lungs and heart bursting. I normally continue past my turning and cycle for about 1.5 miles at a low spin rate to warm down. Very bad for your heart and muscles etc to just stop dead like that :shock:

well done anyway. I went out for thefirst time week before last after a layoff for 4 years . Its a great feeling to be back on a bike isn't it!? :lol:

I'm aiming to do my first 10TT next year too. We will have to start a thread to monitor progress
  • a_n_t
    peanut wrote:
    A word of warning. Your max heart rate is way too high you should moderate the exercise to about 80-85% max .

that was the plan but what with the strong head winds and getting a _little_ carried away it didn't quite work out! Should I work on 80 - 85% of 196bpm?
    It is also essential you don't just blast round your route and come to a direct halt outside your house with your lungs and heart bursting.

noted. warm down in future!
    Its a great feeling to be back on a bike isn't it!? :lol:

sure is :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    6'2" and 13 stone seems quite light. I reckon that you will probably put on a little weight as you increase your muscle, although you should also notice a tone up as you continue. Your heart rate seems a little high, but then everybody is different. I would definitely agree with Eurostar about getting some miles in your legs and i would make them a bit more leisurely (enjoy the view) and with Peanut about warming down if you have been pushing it hard. What is your resting heart rate a_n_t and do you have a blood pressure machine? Have a chat with your GP if it really has been a long time since you have done regular exercise and you are concerned about your heart rate.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Congrats on getting back in the saddle.

That's one hell of a nice bike to start/re-ignite your passion with.

I'm thinking of a Wilier Motirolo or Izoard (a bit smitten with the Izoard) with Centaur but the nearest Wilier dealer is miles away (in Kendal). :(
  • a_n_t
    feel wrote:
    What is your resting heart rate a_n_t and do you have a blood pressure machine? Have a chat with your GP if it really has been a long time since you have done regular exercise and you are concerned about your heart rate.

its not that i'm worried about the exercise, I do quite a physical job and I did play football every week up until a couple of years ago, It was more my MHR. Going off the 220 minus your age thing [which I know is wrong but thats the only yardstick i had!] it puts me at 24!!! Not taken my resting HR but when I was messing with the polar the other day it was 55 bpm, I was just sat reading the manual so fairly chilled out :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    edited December 2007
    Lagavulin wrote:
    That's one hell of a nice bike to start/re-ignite your passion with.

(

yep, its a beaut!

Image138.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    so, Iastly, is the 196bpm ok to use as a MHR? There was nothing scientific in it and it didn't feel so bad out on the bike. Must just be a "high-beater"! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I am in a similar situation to yourself. 6ft 2, 13 stones (nearly) and a Mortirolo as a new bike (Although I got the chorus as it was on special offer).

I think I also must be a high beater. On one of my frst rides out I managed to hit 200 near the top of a climb. I was really pushing it, so I doubt mine will be much, if any, higher. I think you really have to push until you nearly puke to work out your MHR.
  • a_n_t
    guinea wrote:
    I am in a similar situation to yourself. 6ft 2, 13 stones (nearly) and a Mortirolo as a new bike (Although I got the chorus as it was on special offer).

yeah, that was my first choice but went with an 08 / centaur and upgraded the wheels to zondas. great bikes on the road. :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • I'll second what jashburnham says as I have a Wilier Mortirolo. A great bike!
  • i am thinking of buying that bike, sounds from the comments it is a good bike :D.
  • just noticed a_n_t you are from Manchester area i live in cheshire were did you buy your bike from. :) cheers
  • a_n_t
    well I got the best deal from epic cycles so got it mail-order through them but there is a dealer in whaley bridge who i visited to check sizes etc. Think winstanleys in wigan do them too but i've had bad experiences with them in the past. :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • thanks for the quick response , i was thinking of having a drive down to epic over xmas,
  • Speck
    Speck Posts: 53
    I bought a Wilier from Epic, they were certainly worth the trip up from Bath. They upgraded the wheels to Racing 5's for £20
    He said, "You should be riding a Fixie" I replied, "But, Dad, I'm 62 years old".
  • a_n_t
    still only been out on it once!!!

not a good time to buy a bike :lol::lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Lagavulin
    Particularly a white one :P

I was going to make the trip over to Wheelbase and check out the Izoard with Centaur I've kind of fallen for but I wouldn't dare take it out on the roads in their current state.

I've spent more time cleaning and calibrating the rear brake on my Allez than probably in the saddle such is the amount of crap on the roads.

I'm in the Lakes in March so think I'll put a new bike off till then and perhaps purchase a much needed new PC in the meantime.

I do like the look of your Motirolo though. Did it come with the Zondas or are they new?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Did it come with the Zondas or are they new?
    Just read your initial post. What a pillock. :oops:
  • a_n_t
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Did it come with the Zondas or are they new?
    Just read your initial post. What a pillock. :oops:

:lol:

yeah, upgrades are;

zondas
    michelin pro race 2 tyres
    specialized toupe saddle
    ultegra pedals
    specialized bottle cages
    specialized phat tape
    polar hrm.

now if i could get just 1 dry day......JUST ONE!!!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Why are people scared of getting there bikes wet, when you spend that amount of money they surely must able to stand getting a little wet :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Why are people scared of getting there bikes wet, when you spend that amount of money they surely must able to stand getting a little wet :D

It get's them dirty! It's unpleasant to look at a dirty bike especially when you spent in excess of £1500.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr