Vinokourov banned until July 2008

Salsiccia
Salsiccia Posts: 405
edited December 2007 in Pro race
According to Gazzetta dello Sport

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/Primo_Piano/2007/12_Dicembre/06/vinokourov_0612.shtml

Translation:

Vinokourov remains on foot
Suspended until July
The Kazakh federation has suspended for one year the former runner dell'Astana gain last Tour de France for emotrasfusione homologous. You can return to racing at the end of July 2008

MILAN, Dec 6, 2007-No races until July 2008 for Alexandre Vinokourov. Former runner dell'Astana, positive result at the Tour de France for emotrasfusione homologous, has been suspended by his federation, which was confirmed by the Vice-President Nikolai Proskourine.
I was only joking when I said
by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed

Comments

• Brilliant news. Shame it isn't longer.
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    Brilliant news. Shame it isn't longer.

Thats effectively a one year ban though isnt it? I thought it would be a two year ban after which you couldnt ride in the Pro Tour for another 2.

Did he give evidence to reduce his term?
    FCN: 4
  • Doom wrote:
    Brilliant news. Shame it isn't longer.

Thats effectively a one year ban though isnt it? I thought it would be a two year ban after which you couldnt ride in the Pro Tour for another 2.

The report on Gazzetta doesn't say. There are comments posted by readers who want to know why it was only a year too.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    very handy that the Kazakh's have banned him for just short enough a time such that he can represent them in the Olympics eh?

What a fking shower. Let's hope the UCI take this to CAS.

Strava is not Zen.
  • That's bloody awful news. I hope UCI take it to CAS to make sure he misses the Olympics and can't return till he's past retirement age!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • calvjones wrote:
    very handy that the Kazakh's have banned him for just short enough a time such that he can represent them in the Olympics eh?

What a fking shower. Let's hope the UCI take this to CAS.

Beat me to it!

• alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Surely the UCI automatically imposes a 2 year ban? This ban from the Kazakh much goodness for doping cycling fed ban means he can cycle in Kazakhstan in 12 months, but not in UCI sanctioned events????????????
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • alanmcn1 wrote:
    Surely the UCI automatically imposes a 2 year ban? This ban from the Kazakh much goodness for doping cycling fed ban means he can cycle in Kazakhstan in 12 months, but not in UCI sanctioned events????????????

Nope. National feds do the banning - not the UCI. He's free to enter events from July. And the Olympics isn't a UCI event anyway.

• alanmcn1
    It's UCI sanctioned though! If the event is UCI sanctioned, then a 2 year UCI ban would prevent him taking part in any such event???????

What a total load of bollocks this is................... :evil:
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    what a stitch-up
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Perhaps there could be a special event in Bejing for Vino, Christine Ohuruogu and others. A sort of "Phuck-You" pentathlon, if you will.

What are the odds on a Marion Jones come-back in time for next Summer?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Perhaps there could be a special event in Bejing for Vino, Christine Ohuruogu and others. A sort of "Phuck-You" pentathlon, if you will.

What are the odds on a Marion Jones come-back in time for next Summer?

I don't think they'll need special events for dopers/cheats. There'll be enough of them in the main events.
  • alanmcn1 wrote:
    It's UCI sanctioned though! If the event is UCI sanctioned, then a 2 year UCI ban would prevent him taking part in any such event???????

What a total load of bollocks this is................... :evil:

The UCI does not hand out bans! They have their "no-Pro Tour" rule for convicted dopers, but that is only after being found guilty by a national fed and only applies to the Pro Tour circuit so it's not a ban from all UCI sanctioned events.

It's the same across all sports, it wasn't the IAAF that banned Ohurougou for example it was the British Association.

• alanmcn1
    So where does the automatic 2 year ban for doping offences come from???????
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The UCI does not hand out bans! They have their "no-Pro Tour" rule for convicted dopers, but that is only after being found guilty by a national fed and only applies to the Pro Tour circuit so it's not a ban from all UCI sanctioned events.

Wasn't that stupid PT rule that they couldn't sign for a PT team for 2 years post ban?

It's pointless now - Woo, I can't do the Ronde Van Blackpool or whatever is left on the PT now.

I'm impressed the KCF imposed an entire years worth of ban!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    alanmcn1 wrote:
    So where does the automatic 2 year ban for doping offences come from???????

The riders national federation carry out the disciplinary hearing on behalf and in accordance with the UCI rules.

UCI article 261 - First violation - Two years ineligibility.
    Ineligibility:
    Under these Anti-Doping Rules, Ineligibility is defined as a suspension as described in article 12.1.033 of the UCI Cycling Regulations:

Article 12.1.033
    Suspension shall deprive the suspended party of the right to participate, in any capacity whatsoever,in sporting activities organised under UCI, Continental Confederations and National Federations Regulations and in any activities of the UCI, Continental Confederations, National Federations and their various authorities or affiliated entities.

The Pro-Tour ban prevents a rider from signing for a ProTour squad for two further years.

The UCI have already issued a statement requesting the KCF to explain their judgement
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    The UCI have already issued a statement requesting the KCF to explain their judgement

Either that or they'll order a bargin bucket.

Oh, that's KFC, sorry.
  • Doom wrote:

"too much blood in the thighs".

Apparently, this excuse works.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    He's announced his retirement now anyway
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    http://lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2007/2 ... 33Dev.html

"Information L'Equipe : Le coureur kazakh Alexandre Vinokourov arrête la compétition et prend sa retraite mais déclare qu'il va continuer à se battre pour son honneur. "

Very good Vino. Fight for your "honour" all you want. Just make sure the door doesn't hit your arse on the way out.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    phil s wrote:

Maybe they came to a 'gentlemans agreement'. A 2 year ban would have seen him have to pay 1 years salary back and a possible protracted court battle which at his age is pointless. His retirement, which was always the likely outcome if given a reasonably long ban, means no lawsuits and the matter can die away without further suspion on the KCF.

If he has given up, I think the matter should now rest but can the UCI suspend any appeal and repeal it should he come out of retirement in the future?
  • He should've stuck at it until his countryman has his day in the European Court of Human Rights when all dope tests will be declared invalid!
  • phil s wrote:

As I said when the news broke

"bye bye vino - :lol: "

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... o&start=75

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I see Borat......I mean Vino, has retired.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainf72
    I like this quote

"I've the impression that cycling is an orchestra with very good musicians but a bad conductor. That's the reason the sport is a mess."
  • Oh for goodness sake Vino! You can hardly blame Chief Wiggum of the UCI for having too much blood in your legs can you? As others have noted, only the stupid get caught.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Basically, the federation did not want to suspend him but were obliged to, or they would've been breaking the UCI rules and would have been suspended themselves. This is the same federation that holds the license for the squeaky-clean Astana, right?

You can't tell, but I'm rubbing my chin right now.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    well, I have to say, I liked Vino's attitude at places...the places he attacked...he was good, and ...I bet his 2003 TDF podium was a relatively fair reflection of his natural ability..as all the top guys seem to be doing it, so, at least he has not done the same as his buddy on Astana which is try to bring down the entire sport on one fell swoop
  • Dave_1, fair enough!
    If I search my conscience I guess in Vino's defense, he brightened up many a dull race. I would also observe that during 'that' Albi time trial, he displayed the sort of bike handling skills that no amount of blood transfusions will provide. He stayed on, on a technical course, in the rain with fresh injuries to remind him of a nasty crash. Not even my hero Cancellara could do that!