Campag or campy

2»

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    PhilofCas wrote:
    Ste_S wrote:
    vermooten wrote:
    Indeed I've converted to Shimano, despite Ken Night arching his eyebrow at this policy decision. I prefer the click-click of the 21st century to the jammed clutch of a 1930s tractor.

I was surprised to find that they still sold bikes with Campag stuff on the other day, I thought everyone had moved on.

o yes, why ditch a winning formula, yer can keep yer Shi*mano :lol:

I bet you drive a morris minor? 8)
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    PhilofCas wrote:
    Ste_S wrote:
    vermooten wrote:
    Indeed I've converted to Shimano, despite Ken Night arching his eyebrow at this policy decision. I prefer the click-click of the 21st century to the jammed clutch of a 1930s tractor.

I was surprised to find that they still sold bikes with Campag stuff on the other day, I thought everyone had moved on.

Now now, remember the OP...Campy or Campag. That it is sooooo much better than the alternatives is beyond dispute and hence irrelevant
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • slightly ot, but did anyone else know that campagnolo is actually a kind of italian salami?
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    ColinJ wrote:
    I'm sure he pronounces the name as cam-pan-yolo.

Also - Bianchi is pronounced as bee-an-kee not bee-an-chee!

Indeed they are.

Now....Croce d'Aune anyone!? :lol:
    That would be crosh-dawn,as my LBS pronounce
    so many cols,so little time!
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    PhilofCas wrote:
    Ste_S wrote:
    vermooten wrote:

no, but me dad used to mid seventies, a green traveller with the lovely wooden bits....

oh, i see what you're saying, i'll get me coat !! :lol:
  • So here in the UK it is OK to pronounce the silent G, in campagnolo, if you're saying 'Campag' but to mis-pronouce Veloce is an incredible faux-pas?
    What do they shorten campagnolo to in Italy?
  • Im sticking with campag for obvious reasons :roll:
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Ken Night wrote:
    PhilofCas wrote:
    Ste_S wrote:
    vermooten wrote:

Now now, remember the OP...Campy or Campag. That it is sooooo much better than the alternatives is beyond dispute and hence irrelevant

Corkscrew fans - It's ok to come out of the cave now, Simplex and their plastic derailleurs are no longer around.

Other news you may have missed - The yanks put a man on the moon and The Beatles split up
  • zoggz
    zoggz Posts: 58
    edited December 2007
    whats up with shimano then?? you snobs :shock: :P

they perform the same actions on the bikes.. bet you wear US postal when you go out ROB SALLNOW
  • zoggz
    shimano dura ace = campy record= same quality shifting=same materials ..ooh forgot campy record is carbon or isthat carbon composite..forgive me for saying,isnt that a clever marketing term for plastic :wink:

when it boils down to it i bet they are sitll all made by some poor taiwanese sod for 2 quid a year on the same industrial estate oppposite each other
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    zoggz wrote:

they perform the same actions on the bikes.. bet you wear US postal when you go out ROB SALLNOW

Go on then troll, I'll bite....two edits and your post is still full of crap....thanks for singling me out in a 40 post thread but my clothing is Campag too...thanks for your interest.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • zoggz
    zoggz wrote:

Go on then troll, I'll bite....two edits and your post is still full of crap....thanks for singling me out in a 40 post thread but my clothing is Campag too...thanks for your interest.

that would be CAMPY wouldnt it?? :lol:
  • Bloody yanks or should that be Yanky`s am fed up reading cycling mags that use this term Cycling plus,Pro-cycling,Cycle sport.cycling weekly are all printed for the british - european market....the americans have their own editions....god forbid they use the term
    the "Fall" classics for Paris-tours and the tour of lombardy...anyone who used to buy Winning magazine might care to remember when they introduced american terms and gave you 10 pages of the coors classic - yeah remember that high ranking race - Not !! the Magazine all but vanished ....oh and before i forget its CAMPAG OK.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    anyone who used to buy Winning magazine might care to remember when they introduced american terms and gave you 10 pages of the coors classic - .

It basically became an American magazine sometime in 1991 with a few British ads and articles stapled in as the first and last few pages, Graham Watson's instantly recognisable photos disappeared and with it the main appeal of the mag...instead huge grainy crap from Darcy Kiefel, tons of American bias, interviews with American MTBers, ads for Power Bars and Bell Helmets, product reviews of Bauer roller skates, dice in a mesh bag (that gem was in the 10th Anniversary edition and the last one I bought!)....I reluctantly kept buying it for the European coverage until Cycle Sport was invented in '93.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • I'll be joining the ranks of 'Campag' any day now. Shimano for the rough stuff though.

So, on the subject of pronunciations and such like, Dedacciai anyone??

I'm thinking ded-atch-ee-eye
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Bloody yanks or should that be Yanky`s .

I pefer the term 'Yankers' :twisted:
    I have pain!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Maybe it's because I'm American or is it because I'm old, but this whole arguement
    seems a bit weird to me. Here in the states it's not something that we care about.
    At least among the people I know. In fact there is really not a whole lot of arguement
    about whether to buy Campag or Shimano. It's sort of like everyone says, buy what you like, they are both good systems.

Dennis Noward
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Shimano for me I can swap gear form road to cyclo-cross to mtb, all 9 speed and completely interchangable.

Do Campag make equipment for mountain bikes? Oh they used to didn't they.

Who cares what you ride, it's a pretty pointless thing to get annoyed over.
  • yogi wrote:
    Shimano for me I can swap gear form road to cyclo-cross to mtb, all 9 speed and completely interchangable.

Do Campag make equipment for mountain bikes? Oh they used to didn't they.

Not any more, though they do make "flat-bar" groupsets for hybrids and the like, including V-brakes. Wonder how well they'd stand up to off-roading? You'd probably need to substitute another brand of chainset (e.g. Stronglight Impact) to get some approximately "MTB-ish" gear ratios, too.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal