Training DVDs

richardjallen
richardjallen Posts: 691
Instead of a winter bike I have decided to get a turbo trainer rather than grind up my bike as the weather gets worse. Tomorrow is turbo buying day :D I understand there are training DVDs that I can watch while on the turbo. It sounds like a good idea that will give me some direction and focus. Where can I buy an all round training DVD?

Comments

• I've been eyeing up Carmichaels series but understand there are also Spinervals. Downside is that to be complete and have some variation you need quite a few. Alternatively I think tacx do some dvds of famous alp climbs etc. Not sure how they work, whether they can only be run in conjunction with the turbo etc.
    Better would be to adapt turbo training to next years goals but for some that is easier said than done :wink:
  • Snappy
    Snappy Posts: 111
    I've used the Carmichael "Training for Power" and "Training for Cadence", both of which are very good and give a structured workout. Amusing to see the cyclists munching on powerbars throughout their 45minute session - spot the Sponsor!
    The spinervals aren't as easy to find, but I've heard good reviews. Haven't tried them though.

Tacx have released a series of DVDs called their "One Training DVDs" - to be used with the Sirrus etc. From what I can gather from their website, they follow the terrain of famous Alpine routes, etc - with guidance on screen as to when to change down/up etc (which you do manually on your trainer) - but the DVDs aren't Virtual Reality or control the turbo directly, like the Virtual Reality trainers do (I-Fortius, etc).
    I'm interested in the Tacx, as it seems a good visual "screensaver" to zone out to.
    They're a bit pricey though - around £24 each.
  • I watched a preview of some of the spinervals ones and they look OK. Found copies of the at Bothrone bikes.
  • Snappy wrote:
    I've used the Carmichael "Training for Power" and "Training for Cadence", both of which are very good and give a structured workout. Amusing to see the cyclists munching on powerbars throughout their 45minute session - spot the Sponsor!
    SNIP
    Thanks snappy - I was also looking at the power one. can you describe a bit about the kind of things they have you doing?
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    used a couple of spinervals and they are excellent
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • Snappy wrote:
    SNIP
    Thanks snappy - I was also looking at the power one. can you describe a bit about the kind of things they have you doing?
    Training for power is high rpm +100 and 2-4 minute intervals with same rest as a pyramid basically . Hard but time passes quickly. I found it motivating - kept my cadence up (poor att that othrewise) but I would imagine teh 'winey yank' tendencies could grate. Not at all as in your face as teh spinervals i've seen tho'