Tight ITB

onabike
onabike Posts: 68
Hi

I'm getting pain in the outside of my knee again. SO this week it's rest and ibuprofen, and I dislike both. I

've had it before off and on. I think it could be a tight ITB. I stretch it whihc I think helps a little, but i'm looking for some excercises that can also strengthen the butt muscles, which would help reduce the tight ITB.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Hi,

It's the bane of my life too. There's a thread about it on cyclech*t here:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5091

And a link in that thread to some good web pages:

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/knee ... e_full.php

Some good glute strengthening exercises on those pages. Squats and single leg squats are very good, as is the "clam-shell" exercise.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • If this is a reoccurring problem try and get a physio to look at your bike position i.e. with you pedaling on a stationary bike. not every physio will do this but is recommended. The stretching will give you flexibility but it may not be enough to overcome a potential bad position. You may have to adjust your position in line with your flexibility also.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Can't be much help with exercises but my experience might help.

This spring I changed to road shoes and at the same time changed my saddle. In the evenings after more than 2 hours riding during the day i had to go upsatirs on hands and knees. Seriously worrying.

I read up on ITBS and, although sceptical that small adjustements to bike would work, I dropped my saddle by 5mm and adjusted my cleat so my foot was slightly toed out rather than parallel. The problem disappeared on the next ride. After 2 months of suffering it just disappeared.

I've gone back to turbo lately and a bit of carelessness setting turbo bike up and it came back.

So look hard at bike set up as well as consicdering phsio route and other suggestions
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I had problems with my ITB with cycling after developing it through running. I did not find that any of the stretches worked for me. I set up all my bikes the same way and I find that I only get trouble(not really any more than discomfort now) if I am off the bike for any extended time.

I really hurt my back a month or so ago and took 2 weeks off cycling and I had a little twinge in my knee for the first time in ages after 10 miles or so. I dont rest mines but go out for a really easy ride as flat as possible and find after a few easy sessions I am ready to crunch big gears and hills again.
    Brian B.
  • Great thanks.

If Im honest I pushed it a little harder whilst hitting the peak district last sunday. Maybe thats what set it off again.

I find using Speedplay pedals has helped with my numerous knee problems, as have stretches. But I reckon some strengthening excercises will help me alot - one legged squats get mentioned alot for cyclists. I'll take a look at my bike set up again as well.

Ta
  • Get a foam roller and work on self-massage of your ITB (and other areas too). It will hurt like a b4stard to begin with.
    http://www.youcanbefit.com/ROLLER.pdf
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I've just one other thing to add - you could try a wedge under the cleat on the side which is effected. Your leg will be effectively shortened by several mm due to the tightness and I've found (after a visit to Cycle Fit in London) that the wedge works for me. It doesn't make your muscle any longer of course (only stretching and sports massage will help with that) but it does stop the pain while cycling.

Stretching the ITB is really difficult to do but there are several ways; use a wall for balance stand side ways on to it and lean towards it with the 'good' side, and your 'bad' leg on the outside, with your feet crossed in front of you. If you can't feel that, lie down on a bed on your 'good' side, with the underneath/good leg bent. Drop the 'bad' leg down (forwards) off the bed, in front of you, and get yer other half to press down gently on that leg. That one works for me. A sports masseur or a sports physiotherapist will show you how to do these stretches.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Also get hold of a foam roller and you have some crude but useful DIY sports massage. ITB massage HURTS!
    Le Blaireau (1)