anyone used Dave Hinde shop ?

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi.
I have been looking for compact chainset and a BB and notice in this weeks c+ mag that Dave Hinde does Ultegra for £52.
This is almost half the price of most places.
Anyin know why, or anyone got one from there? Seems to good to be true :D

Comments

• Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    I bought a complete mtb groupset with wheels off them in the past. Groupset was fine, all OE stuff in Shimano boxes with instructions. Wheels were acceptable, but the back one kept going out of true, just needed a few spokes tightening every now and then. Delivery was on the very slow side of things.

Why not give the shop a ring, that's what I did. They used to claim that they didn't sell stripped down, bagged up shite (their words) or grey imports.

Lastly, it's mail order. If you don't like it send it back for a refund, good luck.
  • olr1
    olr1 Posts: 2,674
    14 views and NO-ONE, not anyone has warned you off Dave Hinde?

Standards have slipped.....

Look him up via Google, check out the comments, then, if you know what's good for you, think very carefully before ordering from him.
    <font size="1"> I am considerably more gorgeous than you </font id="size1">
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I bought a wheel off them years back. It took aages to come through.

I'd look elsewhere after seeing the dramas that people on here have had.
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    "once "went in the shop ( staff incredibly rude ) asked for a Dura ace rear mech ...was told to "make do " with a 105 ...said i wanted a DA as rest of bike was...

Dave ( i know it was him from his TT days ) offered to sandpaper off teh 105 logo & write on dura-ace in black marker & said i wouldnt know the difference..

...i drove down to rourkes instead
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    I bought some wheels from them a few years ago - th worst wheels I ever used. They were badly out of true from the beginning so I sent them back to be rebuilt or retensioned.

They came back - out of true.

Also used thier Ebay shop DH Cyclesport. Very slow delivery.

Why not ring round and see if any decent shops will price match.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited November 2007
    You must viewthis thread, and armed with that knowledge you will never ever part with cash for stuff from that shop.
  • alfablue
    Hi.
    This is almost half the price of most places.
    the reason for which is that you are half as likely to actually receive the product, and / or get one that is used or otherwise not as described and / or will be blamed for theft when it isn't delivered etc etc.
  • sward29 wrote:
    I bought some wheels from them a few years ago - th worst wheels I ever used. They were badly out of true from the beginning so I sent them back to be rebuilt or retensioned.

They came back - out of true.

Also used thier Ebay shop DH Cyclesport. Very slow delivery.

Why not ring round and see if any decent shops will price match.

Sward29 - you should make sure your facts are correct before you go slating a shop . DH Cyclesport is in Southampton whereas Dave Hinde is in Cheshire and his ebay shop is called Number1bikebits.

I have purchased items on 3 occasions from DH Cyclesport and delivery has been superb. Had to return 1 item and no problems with refund either.
  • SDP wrote:
    "once "went in the shop ( staff incredibly rude ) asked for a Dura ace rear mech ...was told to "make do " with a 105 ...said i wanted a DA as rest of bike was...

Dave ( i know it was him from his TT days ) offered to sandpaper off teh 105 logo & write on dura-ace in black marker & said i wouldnt know the difference..

:D

Except that the real dura ace hasn't got black marker pen writing on it. I hoped you laughed. I think I would have done.
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    SDP wrote:

:D

Except that the real dura ace hasn't got black marker pen writing on it. I hoped you laughed. I think I would have done.

at the time i just walked out... :D ..i know longer buy DA parts but just buy sora etc & write dura ace on them...Dave saved me a fortune ..however i now struggle to build a good bike under about 8.5kg :wink:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I called them to discuss.
    Have to be honest they were quite helpful.
    I mentioned that in the c+ magazine they advertise an ultegra compact for £52.95 and on their website, I could only find R600, they said that was the one in C+ !!
    I guess that is why it looked so cheap as it is not Ultegra after all.
    I found same r600 on many sites for simialr price, compared to £85 + for genuine Ultegra
  • alfablue
    Well thay have already had one ASA adjudication against them for advertising products they don't stock, maybe this was another example?
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    Sward29 - you should make sure your facts are correct before you go slating a shop . DH Cyclesport is in Southampton whereas Dave Hinde is in Cheshire and his ebay shop is called Number1bikebits.

I have purchased items on 3 occasions from DH Cyclesport and delivery has been superb. Had to return 1 item and no problems with refund either.

Nathanb74 - You're quite right, and apologies to all at DH Cyclesport. It was Number1bike bits that I had trouble with - I was getting confused with the DH initials. I have also used DH Cyclesport via Ebay and they have been very good.
  • I called them to discuss.
    Have to be honest they were quite helpful.
    I mentioned that in the c+ magazine they advertise an ultegra compact for £52.95 and on their website, I could only find R600, they said that was the one in C+ !!
    I guess that is why it looked so cheap as it is not Ultegra after all.
    I found same r600 on many sites for simialr price, compared to £85 + for genuine Ultegra

good luck mate
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    i bought some ultegra pedals from number1bikebits last week.
    cheapest on ebay and they arrived within 2 days of payment.

couldn't ask for anymore than that!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • alfablue
    a_n_t wrote:
    i bought some ultegra pedals from number1bikebits last week.
    cheapest on ebay and they arrived within 2 days of payment.

couldn't ask for anymore than that!
    You are lucky - they don't always get it wrong, but when they do they leave very nice feedback blaming the customers, such as:
    * LYING SCUM, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, DOESNT PAY + LEAVES NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. NML SFB

* THIS GUY IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED, SUCH A SHAME COS WE HAVE WRECKED YOUR RATING

* NOT TO BE TRUSTED, LYING FILTH. DONT DEAL WITH HIM UNLESS U WANT RIPPING OFF

* LYING SCUM, DO NOT TRUST THIS SCAMMER AS FAR AS YOU COULD THROW HIM (NOT FAR)

* FUNNY THING IS THIS DESTROYS YOUR RATING. YOURS DONT MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Absolutely lovely people!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    hmmm, seems I got off lightly! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    The thing is you'd expect even somebody with as bad a rep as DH to get it right some of the time - otherwise he would have a really bad rating on ebay (though I certainly wouldn't put it past him to up his rating artificially). If it goes OK you're fine, if there's any sort of problem you'll really wish you'd gone somewhere else.
  • olr1
    olr1 Posts: 2,674
    Given that I have had problems while buying from the shop with cash, and others have had problems with mail order and over the 'net, I see no debate here; just avoid and save yourself the trouble.

CRC and Wiggle and any number of other places exist and do not have the same dreadful reputation, it seems silly to contribute to the continuation of this.

If you do ; Caveat Emptor, Dumbo.
    <font size="1"> I am considerably more gorgeous than you </font id="size1">
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    what pees me off about number1bikebits is there statement in every sale description "Don't buy OEM parts"
    why rubbish your competition in the item description ? I am amazed ebay allow it
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Well, that's that then. Even I know not to buy from those turdburglars. They've only got themselves to blame.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • * LYING SCUM, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, DOESNT PAY + LEAVES NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. NML SFB

* THIS GUY IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED, SUCH A SHAME COS WE HAVE WRECKED YOUR RATING

* NOT TO BE TRUSTED, LYING FILTH. DONT DEAL WITH HIM UNLESS U WANT RIPPING OFF

* LYING SCUM, DO NOT TRUST THIS SCAMMER AS FAR AS YOU COULD THROW HIM (NOT FAR)

* FUNNY THING IS THIS DESTROYS YOUR RATING. YOURS DONT MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

I wouldn't go anywhere near a business that leaves feedback like that, whether the shop are in the right or not. It doesn't exactly project a professional, customer-oriented business, does it?
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Hinde ripped me off and I needed a successful ebay fraud claim against him to get the money back - I wouldn't touch him either.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • alfablue
    You can see all the recent negative feedback Hinde left for others here - mind-boggling :shock:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    He shouldn't be in business, his attitude and reputation stinks. Never had the misfortune to trade with him thank God. BIG red flag here.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    alfablue wrote:
    You can see all the recent negative feedback Hinde left for others here - mind-boggling :shock:

wow - just looking down the list - it's unbelievable and surely uncalled for - who writes feedback like this:

"NO MONEY LOSER, COMPLETE LYING SCUM, A DISGRACE TO EBAY + HIS FAMILY. FILTH"

(about 10th one down)

best avoided I'd say.
  • alfablue
    and it is telling that all of the responses are measured and factual rather than personally abusive. I know who I believe!

To complete the story this is feedback left by others - quite a lot of neutrals, I suspect buyers are more balanced than Hinde & Co (or scared of adverse retaliatory feedback).
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    Can't beleive a business would think it is right and proper to act in that way and survive!

You would think that as this is not a purely virtual business (i.e. they have a shop) leaving hurling abusive messages is a little bit risky.....hypothetically it would only need for some recipient of said messages to be some 16 stone ex-para who lives just round the corner and they could be looking at a bit of a problem.

That'd be a shame wouldn't it?