Training/Targets for Veterans

Mike Willcox
Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
Next year I'll be racing it will be in my 60th year.

I stopped racing first time around at the age of 33, and didn't ride a bike again until I started again July 2004 following a heart attack in April 2004. Had a 2nd heart attack last June. All things being equal what should I reasonably expect to achieve in a TT for 10 and 25 miles?

The modern armoury for a TT includes Tri-bars, rear disc wheels , front deep rim aero wheels. From what I've read this provides an advantage of 2 mph at speeds approaching 30 mph on the bikes that I used to ride. On that basis my best time for a 10 mile TT on today's equipment equates to 19 minutes 10 seconds.

So what should my target be? I achieved 24.18 in May 2007 on a cold early morning but that was 2 weeks before I had a heart attack with 2 blocked arteries. They have been cleared now, so is 23 minutes a realistic target for the "10" and 58 minutes for the "25" ?

Comments

• Blimey! I'm 36 and, well, frankly those are times I'll never do. I'm work shy obviously. You aren't "Iron Mike" with connections to Warwickshire County Council are you?
  • Blimey! I'm 36 and, well, frankly those are times I'll never do. I'm work shy obviously. You aren't "Iron Mike" with connections to Warwickshire County Council are you?

He doesn't owe you money by any chance? But I'm not him anyway. :D

Re Training. I'm trying to train the way I used to but don't have the benefit of using the bike for commuting anymore. I think there is a lot to be said for training twice or three times a day instead of one longer ride. When it comes to January I shall try and get out twice a day depending on the weather of course.
  • Good stuff. I think you are right about two sessions rather than one long one. My old commute was 18 miles each way and that got me dead fit.
  • Next year I'll be racing it will be in my 60th year.

I stopped racing first time around at the age of 33, and didn't ride a bike again until I started again July 2004 following a heart attack in April 2004. Had a 2nd heart attack last June. All things being equal what should I reasonably expect to achieve in a TT for 10 and 25 miles?

The modern armoury for a TT includes Tri-bars, rear disc wheels , front deep rim aero wheels. From what I've read this provides an advantage of 2 mph at speeds approaching 30 mph on the bikes that I used to ride. On that basis my best time for a 10 mile TT on today's equipment equates to 19 minutes 10 seconds.

So what should my target be? I achieved 24.18 in May 2007 on a cold early morning but that was 2 weeks before I had a heart attack with 2 blocked arteries. They have been cleared now, so is 23 minutes a realistic target for the "10" and 58 minutes for the "25" ?

I dispute the 2 minutes that you mention Mike, but I have seen these kind of time advantages mentioned. The tri-bars are an essential part of your position, but I would say that it's more to do with your body aerodynamics - IOW, how small you can make your frontal area, with as little sacrifice to your power output as possible, that will get your times down.
    I would have thought a long 22/57 could be possible if you were to get your position analysed/adjusted, and with the kind of training you talk of, coupled with a fast course/conditions, these targets are achievable.
    Good luck Mike, look forward to meeting up for a tea next season(your round :lol: )
  • Next year I'll be racing it will be in my 60th year.

I dispute the 2 minutes that you mention Mike, but I have seen these kind of time advantages mentioned. The tri-bars are an essential part of your position, but I would say that it's more to do with your body aerodynamics - IOW, how small you can make your frontal area, with as little sacrifice to your power output as possible, that will get your times down.
    I would have thought a long 22/57 could be possible if you were to get your position analysed/adjusted, and with the kind of training you talk of, coupled with a fast course/conditions, these targets are achievable.
    Good luck Mike, look forward to meeting up for a tea next season(your round :lol: )

2 mph.

Time saving over 10 miles equales to 1 minute 20 seconds. That's with aero helmet, modern wheels and tri-bars, against drop handle bars and bog standard 32 spoke wheels. They aren't my figures but just what i've read up.
  • http://www.cervelo.com/content.aspx?m=E ... rodynamics

Worth a read for all TT riders about how to get your positioning right, and the effect of disc wheels etc.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    There's a lot of talk of power and wattage on that page, Mike. Does this mean you're a convert? :wink:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:
    There's a lot of talk of power and wattage on that page, Mike. Does this mean you're a convert? :wink:

I'm not a convert to regularly measuring power to assess gains in fitness as for me it wouldn't make one jot of difference to my training schedule. I know when I'm getting fitter and faster without recourse to a reading it on a meter.

Full marks though for the attempted wind up. :D

Just imagine the power that I needed (@ weight 79 kgs) to produce for a 20.30 "10" on a non aero road bike with rounded 32 spokes wheels, no aero helmet, and a rounded back position on drop handle bars. :D

Maybe someone can work it out?
  • DaveyL
    You could also work out the power you would need to produce to achieve that time now. With a powermeter, you could work out if that target is viable or not! (I'm still trying...)
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • On reflection I'm not going to worry about what times I'll be doing next year as I may not even race. I'll just see how it goes and train accordingly.
  • DaveyL
    I think you got it half-right, Mike. You shouldn't worry about what times you do, and you should race. It doesn't matter whether you can better your old times or not. Just turn up for the first one, give it full beans and see what time you do. Then spend the rest of the season training like hell and knocking the time down. Isn't that what TTing is all about?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Thanks for the advice. You're right