POLL: How much weekly training do you do over winter?

liversedge
liversedge Posts: 1,003
Kind of curious on this one. I don't know why but this forum seems busier over the winter months I'm assuming cause all we're doing right now is training (accetping the cyclocross folks are racing).

So, lets see what level of training are we all doing?
--
Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com

Comments

• bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Over 12 hours but much of this inside. Boxed DVD sets perfect for this (just watched episode 1 of the Sopranos so another 77 hours to go).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • I'll probably average 12 hours riding but also do 3 hours in the gym.
  • 16 hours plus on the bike all outside no matter what the weather.

Gats
  • 16 hours plus on the bike all outside no matter what the weather.

Gats

That's a lot of hours riding. Is it producing the results you are looking for?
  • well I\m not losing any weight which is a part of my goal but I can now ride for 6hrs+ and not get that tired - providing I eat right on the bike!

Gats
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I am getting in between 8 and 10 hours a week and have managed to maintain that over the last month. I try to do 3 high intensity hours (one hour containing 2x20 intervals and one hard two-hour ride) and the rest, about 3 x one hour easy/tempo sessions (70-75% max HR) on the turbo and a steady four hour ride.

I do plan to add a little bit of running (have started already) plus some weights sessions to strengthen some weak core muscles (glutes) which are probably the root cause of some minor injuries I've had over the past year.

It's not as much as Mike is doing, so I don't expect to be asked if it's producing results :D But yes, I feel that I'm getting stronger on the bike and the weight is slowly coming off and those are my goals over the winter. I didn't race much or have a huge summer, so I feel it is OK for me to do this volume of training over the winter. I don't feel run-down. Yet...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • well I\m not losing any weight which is a part of my goal but I can now ride for 6hrs+ and not get that tired - providing I eat right on the bike!

Gats

Have you raced at all or are planning to race next year?
  • DaveyL wrote:
    I am getting in between 8 and 10 hours a week and have managed to maintain that over the last month. I try to do 3 high intensity hours (one hour containing 2x20 intervals and one hard two-hour ride) and the rest, about 3 x one hour easy/tempo sessions (70-75% max HR) on the turbo and a steady four hour ride.

I do plan to add a little bit of running (have started already) plus some weights sessions to strengthen some weak core muscles (glutes) which are probably the root cause of some minor injuries I've had over the past year.

It's not as much as Mike is doing, so I don't expect to be asked if it's producing results :D But yes, I feel that I'm getting stronger on the bike and the weight is slowly coming off and those are my goals over the winter. I didn't race much or have a huge summer, so I feel it is OK for me to do this volume of training over the winter. I don't feel run-down. Yet...

I think 12 hours a week is a lot for this time of the year. I went out this morning and managed 1.5 hours mainly due to the bitingly cold wind. That's fine though I was happy with that.

How much is enough?

Well it all depends on what you're training for. I want to be competitive for 10 and 25 mile TT's. I might do a 50 but probably not. The most important bit of training for me is the intervals and it would be nice for just once to get to that stage in the season (warm weather) to be able to do some without something knocking me back.

For others who are competing in longer events then maybe the endurance is more important. But if you are doing 16 hours and more a week in the winter then hats off to your dedication.

I remember speaking to John French who was a very good rider, just after he had won an early season 50 that I was riding in and complimenting on his ride. He was really down and told me he was doing 50 miles a day which on my reckoning was something like 19/20 hours a week. He hardly seemed to do much else for the rest of the year. i don't know why but he might have overdone it too early.
  • yup I used to race but dont any more. Have been thinking about it though for next year.

Gats
  • yup I used to race but dont any more. Have been thinking about it though for next year.

Gats

There are lots of questions concerning your training regime. The first one that strikes me is why? Why are you riding so much? What is your motivation?

This is important because without a target there is no direction. It doesn't seem as though you are happy with what you are doing and that might be because you don't have a purpose to it all. Thinking about doing something is too wishy washy. Nothing wrong with riding just to keep fit and enjoying it, but riding 16 hours plus in all weathers sounds a bit obsessive to me. I don't wish to offend but to help. Hopefully others on here will concur.
  • I'm doing it because I lopve riding my bike. I love being out in the countryside and just riding. It gives me time to think, I get to be alone and it keeps me fit, sane and burns calories. The amount I ride is of o consequence to me because I'd do it if I was racing and I do it when I'm not - kind of a just in case I do for next year. I want to keep up my fitness because if I do race I won't have much training to do before getting up to a suitable race fitness.

Gats
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    puffs. i'm on 60 hrs before and after my job down the coalmine
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    With a 2 hour commute four days a week , one extra long commute on the mtb and only one weekend ride it's easy for me to get to 12hrs for the week. I will start ramping that up next month, as at the moment I'm turning rides down, so I don't over do it.

Weather here has been absolutely great, add to this that I'm discovering mountain biking and putting the miles in has been no problem.
  • Everyone to their own. I'm keeping my powder dry for when I need it.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Mike, sounds like you need to up your game a bit! :wink:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:
    Mike, sounds like you need to up your game a bit! :wink:

:D

You're so right. I must learn from others how to train and compete the modern way.
  • I have only 3 core rides: Tuesday hilly 1.5 hrs, wd track 1.5 hours and sunday 2-4 hours depending on weather. The rest of the week is currently as much as I can take on a turbo, assuming I'm at home (not work) to be able to do it. The track means I dont have to do 2x20's, at least that's my head-in-the-sand view so don't tell me otherwise cos i aint listening....
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Hard physical work all week then running and mountain biking at weekends plus the odd cyclocross race. I can't be bothered with long winter rides anymore and my work keeps the weight off and the strength up.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    At the moment my training looks something like this:
    2 turbo sessions a week (2.5 hours total)
    one solo ride on the road (2 hours)
    group ride on a Saturday (4 hours)
    3 sessions in the gym (3 hours total)

Total training time 11.5 hours.
    About 6hrs a week at the moment excluding walking my dog however I've just started to build the mileage up (managed 3 sessions this weekend / 287kms)
    Paul
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I clicked 6–8, but not all that is cycling – there's 2 hours roller skiing (plus riding to the sessions in Hyde Park).
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I used to do 15+ hours a week, but that was running me down a bit (that and averaging about 6 hours of sleep a night- I'm at Uni :)). So now I've gone down to about 13 hours- but upped the intensity a bit. Altho Last week I did 18 hours as I had to take the University cycle club out 4 times plus my usual rides at the weekend.

I gather from doing a bit of reading that winter is buiding up, don't do too much as you want to be mentally and physically rested come spring. Too many hours and you won't recover body or soul. I'm looking to race next year (aiming to do 30+ races next season) and so I've been told that I need to prevent my body overdoing it over winter.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf wrote:
    I used to do 15+ hours a week, but that was running me down a bit (that and averaging about 6 hours of sleep a night- I'm at Uni :)). So now I've gone down to about 13 hours- but upped the intensity a bit. Altho Last week I did 18 hours as I had to take the University cycle club out 4 times plus my usual rides at the weekend.

I gather from doing a bit of reading that winter is buiding up, don't do too much as you want to be mentally and physically rested come spring. Too many hours and you won't recover body or soul. I'm looking to race next year (aiming to do 30+ races next season) and so I've been told that I need to prevent my body overdoing it over winter.

We all read and hear about prolific amounts of hours spent in the saddle of our top riders, and of course we all want to emulate their achievements. The thing is that if you are finding it a real struggle to go out for a ride when you've already trained for the last 3 or 4 days, and are feeling tired and irritable, then the chances are that you would be better off not training that day.

You can't measure your fitness or a successful training regime by toting up how many miles or hours you've ridden in the last month. You have to be absolutely honest with yourself in order to improve and take time out to recover mentally and physically.

Sometimes the smart way is to do nothing. I had planned a ride today but didn't feel up for it so didn't go. That's OK because I know that tomorrow I'll be raring to go. That's better than having to drag myself grudgingly on the bike because I believe that I must.