Book you wish you had never picked up

2»

Comments

• Da Vince Code
    The Dice Man (Luke Rhinehart), which I didn't finish.
    However, Fangland by John Marks is easily the worst book I have ever read. Such a bad plot and so badly written.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hated - Anna Karenina, Middlemarch, Lord Jim, On the Road, Look Homeward Angel

Stupid - Catcher in the Rye, Sons and Lovers,

Great stuff - Lonesome Dove, 100 Years of solitude, Atlas Shrugged, Love in theTime
    of Cholera, Prayer for Owen Meany, Crime and Punishment, Lolita, I,Claudius,
    Under the Volcano, In Cold Blood, Midnights Children, To the Lighthouse

Dennis Noward
  • mercurykev wrote:
    I tried to read a bit of 'The world according to Clarkson'. It's so offensive

that was a shocker, as are all Dan Brown novels.
  • The Cruel Sea....

Oh dear sweet Jesus, what the hell is that all about.

Has become a cult joke between me and a friend who tried to read it after I gave up. I am all for War Stories, but it is a long way away from a commando comic.

Nearly threw myself into the sea to avoid reading any more.

Cack.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Sometimes MrsK wishes I'd never picked up my first Ian Rankin (Rebus)...

but I'm another vote for Zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    must admit I'm terrible for dumping books a few pages in if it doesn't feel right to me, so millions of unfinished books lying around the house. The only bookes I ever read that I didn't like were ones I had to during my school years. Luckily there is no exam threat to force me to read books I don't like now so if they don't get my interest in the first few pages then they go, some books I'll stick with for a few more pages, based on reviews by people/newpapers I respect but even they will not be enough to save it completely. My wife is part of a book club and has had to read books she hates for it, this I can't understand. Anyway currently reading no book as have stopped reading the books I'd got from the library, its getting harder foe me to find ones I like. :(
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Moby Dick was a lot tougher and much less fun than I was expecting. Got about 3/4 of the way through before Melville's religious imagery had me beat. Shame because the book started well, "Call me Ismael..." is an excellent opening line.
  • pdm
    pdm Posts: 9
    The History of Glue - I couldn't put it down
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Moby Dick

Something or other by Henry James

Tom Jones - it just wore me down in the end.

1/2 a vote for Da Vinci code - I did finish it, but God it was dire.