Oi Scotland

2»

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    You could have the best 4 defenders in the world on the pitch and they could still play absolute pish together if they couldn't organise themselves.
    Darren Dods Past it? probably but United's defence is 500% better since he joined.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    windyphil wrote:
    who whips the ball into Crouch who nods down to Owen, Gerrard, Rooney or even Defoe to finish

Problem is none of those players would be in the box exactly what happened last night! Only time that Crouch actually played for himself and not as a link player, he scored ! Whats wrong with that as an approach for starters next time they play.

Well yeh, thats party due to instinct and ability but more due to organisation and coaching. The players need their minds unshackled. The panic and confusion is something the coach should be able to turn around. The midfield is strong enought to work the ball up the pitch, the ability to get the ball in is there (cole + swp) and the ability to finish the chances is there. It just all needs bringing together by a decent coaching team.
  • When was the last time an English player dominated the premiership in the way ronaldo has or van nistelrooy did? Never? If Drogba was english he'd be hailed as the best striker in the world and earning 2x what he earns.

they're 5hite players and the public's been tricked into thinking otherwise.

Come on, I just don't think thats true. I think with a good, professional coach at the team who inspires confidence England can acheive. We can score goals and win games with the players we have but they just look shell shocked out there. They play like they're afraid of losing. They need a coach who has undounted ability, self confidence, who'll take the flack and who has the right personality to fit the role.

Heres a scenario that could work against any team.....Ashley Cole wins the ball at the back, feeds Joe Cole who cuts inside and plays a ball to Barry who spreads it out to SWP, who whips the ball into Crouch who nods down to Owen, Gerrard, Rooney or even Defoe to finish. I don't see too many weak links there. Its just the confidence to play to the best of their ability and have an understanding with their team mates. They play with the world on their shoulders at the moment. the next couple of years is a chance to build a team and its confidence for the future.

Sven has a pretty good record as a coach at club level. ... his valedictory remarks were essentially "look, these players are actualy 5hite...". I agree they do look shell-shocked, but even when they looked less shell-shocked (example, against Portugal in the world cup) they were outclassed by an OK, but not great team (yeah, I know the media would love us to believe we were robbed etc. yawn, blah blah, but Portugal were by far the better team).

The evidence suggests this bunch of players are poor, the interesting thing is why so many people believe otherwise in the face of the facts.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Would Rooney have ever lost his rag if he knew the coach would give him a bollocking when he got back in the changing room? Sven handled the world cup campaign pretty badly. Taking Walcott and placing massive faith in Beckham and Rooney. I think a different coach would certainly have got alot more out of that campaign.

I'm not saying I think England should be winning competitions when they come around but we should certainly be getting further and putting up more of a fight. And of course we should certainly be qualifying for competitions.
  • This was the real reason why England lost

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7109058.stm

Those wanting a derby in qualification should note that England and Scotland avoid each other thanks to Greece
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 108764.stm
    I see O'neills ruled himself out, but Benitez has in his obtuse manner hinted he's interested.. or either that been told to buck his ideas up with Liverpool.
    Ireland haven't had England in a qualifying group for a while. not since Graham Taylor. We're looking through the same managerial gene pool. Those thinking of Alan Shearer should look to Republic to see how it goes wrong instead of to Germany to see how it might go right.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    That inept performance (and the season of qualifiers before it) surely proves there's no doping in English football, just a load of dopes.