Vegetarians Selfish?

13»

Comments

• Today I shot and killed my own dinner.

A pile of veg from the garden and a bottle of the old vin rouge later, and there's a nice mountain hare stew bubbling away in the kitchen.

I now feel all hunter-gatherer manly, yet suitably 'good life' sustainable and green.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Before farming came along, people were truely in harmony with nature as hunter gatherers. It is a natural consequence of evolution that people still like meat. Whether you like it or not we are omnivores. Pure and simple.
    I have pain!
  • I'm not. I'm a vegetarian. :wink:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Today I shot and killed my own dinner.

A pile of veg from the garden and a bottle of the old vin rouge later, and there's a nice mountain hare stew bubbling away in the kitchen.

I now feel all hunter-gatherer manly, yet suitably 'good life' sustainable and green.

you shot a pile of veg in your garden?
    :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Aye.

Bastards, the lot of them..... violent-smiley-1385.gif

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • spen666 wrote:
    Most non- vegetarians will, if inviting a vegetarian round for a meal, go to the trouble of cooking a non-meat option for the vegetarian

How many vegetarians when inviting round a meat eater go to the trouble of cooking them a meat option?

NONE!!!
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    mr pumpy wrote:
    A ridiculous OP. The answer is blindingly obvious.
    Are meat-eaters ethically opposed to eating meals which do not contain meat?

Not from eating any such meals occasionally, as far as I can imagine. Some might oppose being wholly vegetarian on religious grounds, but still not require every meal to include meat.

E.g. since the Bible & Quaran both depict God as approving of meat-eating (subject to various conditions) presumably a Christian, Muslim or Jew regarding God as the ultimate authority on ethics could not regard eating meat as inherently unethical and so could not be vegetarian for that reason (although I suppose they could for other reasons, such as believing all the meat available at the time was overpriced, or unhygenic, or just happening not to like the taste). Nonetheless such a person would presumably object only to the deliberate and long-lasting omission of meat from their diet, not to occasional meatless meals.

Jon
  • Not sure if I'm allowed to post, what with being a Troll and everything, but I am both Christian and Vegan.
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    gandalfcp wrote:
    Not sure if I'm allowed to post, what with being a Troll and everything, but I am both Christian and Vegan.

I can't see anything trollish about your posts. If you don't mind discussing it, are you a vegan for some pragmatic reason rather than a moral one, then? If you take your moral lead from someone famous for feeding thousands of people on fish, I don't see how it can be on moral grounds.

Jon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jon G wrote:
    gandalfcp wrote:
    Not sure if I'm allowed to post, what with being a Troll and everything, but I am both Christian and Vegan.

I can't see anything trollish about your posts. If you don't mind discussing it, are you a vegan for some pragmatic reason rather than a moral one, then? If you take your moral lead from someone famous for feeding thousands of people on fish, I don't see how it can be on moral grounds.

Jon

_42021788_captain_203jpg.jpg
  • Jon G wrote:
    gandalfcp wrote:

Jon

The moral grounds may be to do with how meat arrives at our table in today's world, what with factory farming and everything else that goes along with meat-producing. I don't see how religious belief based on the Bible or other sacredly-held text is contradictory with ethical treatment of animals.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I can see exactly why some people choose to be and admire their principles.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • I always shy away from claiming to base my dietary choices on moral or ethical principles, it only unleashes vitriolic attacks of the petty point scoring variety.

I started out by becoming vegetarian about 25 years ago. Over time I gradually came to the view that giving up meat but continuing to consume dairy products was hypocritical and something of a token gesture.

I'm afraid that once I become aware of something I have to make a decision and put up or shut up. That attitude is not without cost and gets me in trouble sometimes but that's the way it is.
  • Selfish? What a load of crap. I'm a meat eater but love Veggie meals.
    example vegetable Lasagne is better than meat.

In the same vain, the argument that "veggies show by example" is wrong too. Everyone is entitled to eat what they like even that comment is arrogant.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

In the same vain, the argument that "veggies show by example" is wrong too. Everyone is entitled to eat what they like even that comment is arrogant.

I'm struggling to find the posting which contains the quote "veggies show by example", would you be kind enough to direct me to it please?

Eeww!! You are Satan's very own puppet!! Vegetable Lasagne is truly awful!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    I have pain!