anyone braving the weather and going cycling tomorrow

mazza
mazza Posts: 52
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
i looked at the weather forcast today and they said it was going to be wet windy cold and in some parts snow so i made the decision not to make the sadwiches and may be have a lie in instead of going on the club run but is there any one out there who will go any way and where and how far will you go

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    I'll be out tomorrow round the country roads in northumberland..Distance depends on how i feel tomorrow and how much rain we get. Probably 60-70 miles. A good waterproof is all you need. Keep peddling to keep warm and think of a nice hot bath on your return.
  • I'll be out tomorrow didnt spend all that cash on winter gear for it to stay in the wardrobe! How far will depend on weather but at the minimum I'll do a 40-50miler if on me own or up to 80 if in a club depending on route. Be nice to get a century in but we'll see.

The good thing about riding in naff weather is the weekly cake and coffee at the end is well earned!

Gats
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Hell yes! I've got 3-4 hours at 60-70% to get in. Shame it's going to be cold wet and windy. (I know that in Manchester that's the norm but I suspect that it's going to be even more so tomorrow.) A real shame. Even more of a shame that doing 3-4 hours on the turbo would affect my brain forever, and not in a good way.

But we all have toharden the **** up don't we.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I did 4 hours roller skiing today; cycling can wait till the next non-rainy day.
  • Havn't ridden for a couple of monthe now , since having an accident near the end of my lejog trip. The weather on that day was cold , pouring down and blowing a hoolie - which I was thoroughly enjoying.untill the campervan wqnted more than it's fair share of the singletrack road. The damaged shoulder is the only reason for not riding tomorrow -waether be dammed
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    right up, right now !, leaving house soon :D
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    just got up and it doesnt look too bad, i shall be going out in 45mins
  • both my mind and spirit got up bright and early to brave the rain and are currently at the top of the Rhigos. My body had more sense and is sitting snug on the sofa. :D:D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Just got back and it was more windy than rainy in the fens...
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I'm choosing the couch option, as it's pretty ordinary here in the South West. And I'm having a bit over a week off the bike anyway next week so another day isn't going to hurt.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • No way! Cold, wet, windy and grim down south. Over 4 months till first race of the season so I think I'll give today a miss. I fully admit to being a southern softy!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    edited November 2007
    Just got back and it was more windy than rainy in the fens...

Well I'm back after two and a half hours of not the most pleasant riding. You're right JTC, it was windy - soooooo windy and bitterly cold. A club came alongside at one point and it raised my spirits to have a bit of a chat but then they turned left and I went right and I was back on my own again. On days like today I can definitely see why being in a club would be a really good thing to do.
  • No, because cycling for hours on end in the moors with a wet arse isn't appealing at all :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • The North East weather yesterday felt pretty mild compared to today. It was bloody bitter this morning, with my computer showing an average temperature of 1 degree :shock:

This is my first winter as a roadie, and the wind chill was unbearable on my feet and fingers - even though they were wrapped in Seal Skinz. So back to the LBS to spend more money on more clothing :x
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    The North East weather yesterday felt pretty mild compared to today. It was bloody bitter this morning, with my computer showing an average temperature of 1 degree :shock:

This is my first winter as a roadie, and the wind chill was unbearable on my feet and fingers - even though they were wrapped in Seal Skinz. So back to the LBS to spend more money on more clothing :x

It's my first winter too and I came to the same conclusion on buying more stuff. My fingers were fine but my toes felt like they had pins stuck in them. My knees are aching more, probably from the cold so I may get some knee warmers and I think I may need a winter weight waterproof as mine is incredibly light. Some thicker overshoes and perhaps a few more pairs of thermal socks. The mudguards which I bought last week worked very well though.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Serves me right for believing the weather forcast :roll: , I'm off now for a quick spin.
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    Went on the club run in strong wind and heavy rain. Only 4 us of us but today is proof to me that if in doubt, it's better to get out - you enjoy it once you get into it. If I'd stayed at home I would've felt flat. Sealskinz kept my feet dry despite some massive puddles (streams!). Don't seem to be able to find any gloves that work on days like today though.

Popette...I really think you should join a club if you can. Days like today are so lonely if you go out alone!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive just got in from being out on my own, it was so lonely and cold but dry. I couldnt get myself going at all (well thats how it felt) but managed almost 40miles. I stopped in at my LBS on the way home and had a good 40minute chat with them which cheered me up as it was the first time id taken my Planet X in there and they loved it :D I am also soooo cold still, need a hot shower and some pasta before i can do anything else this afternoon!

also need a club to ride with? anyone know any in Barnet/Southgate/North London?
  • I woke up at half 7, heard the wind blowing a hooley and the rain pebble-dashing my window, and thought 'f*ck that for a game of snowballs', rolled over and went back to sleep for 6 hours :s
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    weather wasn't too bad around here. Cold wind and overcast but mainly dry.Didn't go as far as I'd planned, felt a bit flat as I biked to work yesterday as the car's off the road at the mo.Still, pleased with 226 miles this week. The most I've done for some time. Spent the afternoon watching a programme about the mountaineer Joe Simpson, The Beckoning Silence. I taped it about a month ago and never got round watching it, been nice lying on the setee relaxing with a cuppa watching it.
  • went out this morning at 7.30 for the club ride. Very windy and grey but luckily no rain. 107miles and 6hrs later I returned home! Sorted. Not bad 18mph average. Pretty knackered though so am off for a shower and a stretch but well glad I made the ffort.

Gats
  • bigmug
    bigmug Posts: 58
    107 miles in this, thats just plain greedy - chalk up 40 of those for me cos I stayed in. Rain and cold can be dealt with by clothing and mindset - but strong WIND. Praps it is the group thing?
  • yeah well I rode 20miles to the run on my own then did the clubrun and then rode home on my own. It deffinitly helped being in a group but out in the fens when you're on your own there's nowhere to hide just gota get on with it. I used to hate the wind but really yeah it makes your life difficult a bit but its like resistance training isnt it?

Was stoked aswell cos it was my first outing for the new Assos kit and everything was kept toasty warm and comfy.
    :D

Gats
  • bigmug
    bigmug Posts: 58
    Well I guess being in flatland partly explains the high mileage for this time of year - I'm in the Peak District where a 60 with av 15mph is something to feel satisfied about - the wind can really blast you on the tops.
  • I was very pleased with my 30 minutes on the turbo trainer this afternoon! 107 miles! Which pro team are you riding for next year TheGreatGatsby?? Blimey that's a good effort! :lol:
  • well its winter innit so long rides are the thing no? Looking to do 1 century a week and then between 30-50miles each day in a mix of intensities. I think anyone who gets out on a bike during the winter for however long is doing good things.

Next year I may attempt to race depending on fitness.

Gats
  • mazza
    mazza Posts: 52
    well i chickened out of the club run today but cycled up to my mums and it was freezing cold in brum on the way home tonight it was snowing heavly it was actualy sticking the bike was covered in snow
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I bottled it (again).

I promised myself upto £2k towards a new bike if I continued through the winter. Bought a fair amount of winter gear in as well to get me through and its not getting used. :oops:

I managed 610 miles on the roadie bike last month. Monthly total to date 51. :lol: YEs I've done a few hours on the trainer but I really hate winter.

I've even started drinking beer again. :twisted:
  • well its winter innit so long rides are the thing no? Looking to do 1 century a week and then between 30-50miles each day in a mix of intensities. I think anyone who gets out on a bike during the winter for however long is doing good things.

Next year I may attempt to race depending on fitness.

Gats

Er, you're having a larf aint you? You really think you won't be fit enough to race on that programme...??? :shock: Come on if you are really putting that effort you should be a Cat 1 by the end of your first season.... :wink: Don't train for riding training rides, just get stuck in and race. I am assuming thats why you are doing so much riding in the first place of course, if not then way to go! If your goals are racing then there are at least 2 of us that did a full seasons racing on half of your effort, and neither of came last in any of the races we entered. Get stuck in it's great fun.
  • Definitely give racing a go! On that training you should be more than fit enough :) 3 - 4 training rides a week during the winter served me ok last season and the maximum time was maybe 3 or 3.5 hours on a Sunday. Proved to be fine for 4th Cat road and Masters mountain bike racing :D I still hate cold and wet training though...